Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Getting A Dog

jonathanfong
Novice

Jan 18, 2005, 2:12 AM

Post #1 of 19 (3112 views)
Shortcut
Getting A Dog Can't Post

I'm planning to get a puppy. But I can't seem to find the right one. I've shortlisted a few: a Golden Retriever, a Beagle or A Jack Russel Terrier. Basically I would love to have a dog which is friendly, lovable and also look after the house if possible. I just can't seem to decide. Can anyone out there furnish me with some tips or two about getting a puppy?[:)][:)]

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 18, 2005, 2:21 AM

Post #2 of 19 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonathanfong] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hello john

a beagle is loveable and friendly, but is not a very good guard dog/watch dog. same goes to jack russell terrier.. both beagle and jack rusell terrier are active breeds. so make sure you can handle them as they are very active.

a golden retriever is intelligent, and friendly. but not a good guard dog also.

if you want a good guard dog, you can try rottweiliers..

i have some puppies here that are good to be guard dogs... if you won't mind that they are mongrels.. these puppies are also friendly...

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 18, 2005, 5:41 PM

Post #3 of 19 (3087 views)
Shortcut

all the dogs you listed are not good guard dogs but they are lovable and friendly. though all 3 breed have 1 thing in common, they will bark at strangers but will eventually follow the stranger after (this is true for GRs)Laugh another things in common is all 3 breeds are very active dogs. don't be fooled with JRT small size, they are a big dog in a small body.

for more info on the breeds, do browse www.dogbreedinfo.com the dog that u mention would probably either a rottweiler or a great dane. great dane are friendly dogs but seriously if u see the size, you also scared, it's like a small pony. dogo argentino makes good watch dog that is also friendly but it's banned in malaysia and not for 1st time owners.

if u r first time owner of a dog, i suggest you get laidback breeds, the retrievers. they are easy to train, very eager to please and overall will make a very good family dog.

for puppy, make sure you have time on ur hand, they need a lot of care, love, attention and time.

jonathanfong
Novice

Jan 18, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #4 of 19 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for ur information MisterStan. I've spoken to my wife abt this and we are not really focusing on getting a dog just to watch our home....more like a family dog. She love the Golden Retriever very much and so do I. However, we haven't decide anything yet cause when we saw a Beagle on a Sunday afternoon, we like them too. Is just that you have to pay very good attention when taking care a Beagle especially cleaning their ears.

Anyway, thank you very much again on the information. Smile

jonathanfong
Novice

Jan 18, 2005, 11:43 PM

Post #5 of 19 (3066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for your suggestion and yes, we are planning to get a dog for the first time. In fact, me and my wife have earlier decided on a Golden Retriever cause they are so friendly and lovable...not to forget, they're loyal too. However, we did saw a Beagle that day and they're so lovable and friendly too but they are very active dogs, just like u said.

We will go thru the website that you mentioned and try to gather as much information as we could.

Anyway, thank you very much again on your suggestions.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 18, 2005, 11:44 PM

Post #6 of 19 (3066 views)
Shortcut

hi there

for beagles, you gotta pay more attention for its ears, and to clean its ears everytime you shower it.. for the first few times, maybe you gotta do cleaning everyday, and as the ears gets better, you can do the cleaning days once. and beagles are active dogs, if you can handle active dogs, then beagle is the one for you.. if you prefer something not so active, then GR is the one for you..

good luck!!!

jonathanfong
Novice

Jan 18, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #7 of 19 (3065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again MisterStan.Smile

Chiayi
Novice

Jan 19, 2005, 12:24 AM

Post #8 of 19 (3055 views)
Shortcut

Hi, there are many breeds for you to consider but getting a beagle and JRT well they're not guard dogs definately. A golden retriever is really cute but have you considered about the amount of shedding of hairs from a dog? It's a lot of work and great responsibility to own a doggie but if you are up to it then congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of owning a doggie's unconditional love. Do a complete search of all the dog breeds over the internet, search for the hereditary diseases that some breed of dogs may have and also look for the size cos I dun think you are sure of getting a small dog or a medium size one cos JRTs and Beagles are smaller size dogs and GR are medium size dogs. Also a word of advice, if you really need a guard dog well get a rotti or a bullmastiff, actually just get a better burglar alarm system cos I dun think dogs should be left outside the yard/garden so much especially at nite to 'guard' the house cos dogs being curious creatures may get hurt roaming in the yard like getting bitten by poisonous insects or even snakes. My fren's JRT died cos he was in the garden and got bitten by a cobra! Getting a dog back, well it's not like getting a tool back, you will grow to love your dog just like a family member so would you like to put any of your family member at risk of getting hurt? Enough said but some breeds do make great guard dogs cos it's in their genes. Good luck on your search!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 19, 2005, 1:10 AM

Post #9 of 19 (3049 views)
Shortcut

you are welcome.

GR - u have to take into consideration as what other have said - shedding. they will not shed so much since we don't have different climate. GR are temperamate dogs so they will adjust the body according to the weather. also large dogs mean more $$$ to feed and take care. Roxy is currently eating about 400 - 500g a day and a packet of dog food is about 3kg. she is eating holistic food which is more expensive. so you can do the math from thereLaughSly

GR can grow big and strong and training have to start as soon as possible. it's very important esp if u r planning to have kids in future. the last thing u want is for your dog to jump on ur child and hurting your child.

however GRs are sweet dogs, trained GR are hard to forget. they make wonderful dogs actually.oklah enough about GR later beagle owners jealous..hehe

p/s - roxy at my avatar is now 25 weeks. a female golden retriever.

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2005, 12:42 AM

Post #10 of 19 (3015 views)
Shortcut

Time 2 put in some good words 4 JRTs as well (Wink being a JRT owner, sure 2 b biased)…small size, big attitude (never say die), great personality, natural performer/comedian, independent, inquisitive, intelligent, determined, fearless, playful, active, energetic, low maintenance & good looks. What more do u want from a dog?

If u hv the time, then JRTs make great companions 4 adults/kids. U’ll need 2 invest the time 4 training, exercise, play & socializing due 2 their vast reserves of energy & attitude. JRTs live 2 play, so u must hv a similar enthusiasm for the outdoors.

If u r looking for a more leisurely pace of life, then the other breeds may b more compatible…tho' some beagles r known 2 b quite adventurous.

Groovy (JRT), ‘I feel the need…the need 4 speed'

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 21, 2005, 1:39 AM

Post #11 of 19 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] {jonathanfong] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

wah a JRT owner replied already. yes JRT make great dog cause they are so agile. i think they also have less health problems. with gR u have to worry about hip problems but proper diet, buying from a good breeder and also proper care & exercise during puppyhood can almost eliminate the problem.

be very wary of breeder selling pups at way too cheap. GR & beagles should be around RM1,500 onwards. JRT not sure but should be RM1K also right?

let us know what dog u finally choose ok.

i wanted a GR but hubby wanted a min pin..so lastly the wife wonSly but now he is thankful of the GR, very calm and gives us lots and lots of kissesLaugh

jonathanfong
Novice

Jan 24, 2005, 5:05 AM

Post #12 of 19 (2938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] {jonathanfong] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

SlyWe finally decided on our puppy. We paid for a GR today but we're only bringing her home on 2nd Feb. She's only 5 weeks old now. She's already gotten her 1st jab, certified by MKA and microchipped. Wish us luck! Shortlisted a few names - Amber, Cookie, Princess and Trixie. What do you guys think? Thought of running an opinion poll....Smile

Any good advice on how to take care of her, entertain her, etc..? Food? Grooming? Health care?

(This post was edited by jonathanfong on Jan 24, 2005, 5:08 AM)

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 24, 2005, 4:29 PM

Post #13 of 19 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonathanfong] {jonathanfong] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

wah congratulations!!!

it's nice to have that bundle of joy but they grow so fast! 1st jab already ah? but a little word this jab normally don't do anything cause the pup have maternal immunity from the mother. let the pup spend time with the mother and take her home when she is 8 weeks. the first early training is by the mother and this will help you later.

remember, bring ur pup home for the first time, she will be a chewing machine. so lucky you, now u can start puppy-proofing your home. anything that a 1 yrs old kid will put in her mouth or will drop on the floor, a pup would do the same. your books under the coffee table, put it away for a while. any decorations u have on the coffee table, put it away, basically everything the pup can reach, put it away. don't worry, your house dont have to look this way forever. pups grow up and with proper training, your books can be placed back under the coffee table like what we have done. our pup is 6.5 months old and we have slowly put things back where they are. and she knows the word "NO", so this is useful.

there is a lot of training tips on the training thread and try gundog group as well.

when u bring ur pup for the 1st time, ask ur breeder what food is she feeding, try sticking to that food for maybe 2 weeks or 3, then if u want to change the kibbles, do it gradually. buy 2 type of toys first, maybe a chew rope or a durable rubber toy. i like to avoid the squeeky toy cause it made my GR nuts and it drove me up the wall! so stick to simple toys. also your wife maybe tempted to put a collar on her with a bell, do take out the bell, the sound will cause stress in dogs in the long run.

you have to buy toys, just a small collar so she can get used to it, if both of u are working, u may want to buy a playpen or crate to cordon off area she shouldn't go. i prefer a crate at an earlier stage cause its good for house training. but crate u hve to use properly. don;t leave her more than 8 hours in the crate. only when necessary ok. pup have very small bladder and will pee about once every 2 hours. at night, she will probably start crying and whining, this is her first time away from her mother. so if u can, place the crate inside ur room so she can see you. after she is used to your family and your home, she will be fine to sleep away from you.

training..ah...this really depends on the owner, you cannot send your pup to training school this she complete 3 full vaccination which the pup will be about 14 - 16 weeks after. but u can start her early at home. buy a good training book and start with simple sit and her name. call her name everyday so she know what is her name. house training will have to start immediately since u really dont want her to pee whenever she wants and let me tell u GR pee amount is like human...A LOT!

grooming, it depends, you can buy her a soft dog brush and brush her coat every 2 days so avoid mats and tangles. once she is bigger, you can get a rake. but really if u groom every day of every 2 days, her coat will be nice to touch and no mats or tangles. this save u a lot of grooming cost. you can groom your dog on ur own. cause GR don't really have long coats like shih tzu that need to cut the fur. ohh never shave your GR's fur and trimming is normally done for show dogs. but u cna do your part to trim hair around her ear which will be done when she is bigger.

i suggest, right now, just love her. she needs that and she will entertain you with her puppy antics:) i am sure you will post again about chewing, about no listening to you, about why she dont look like GR is magazines, why she bites and stuff like that.

have fun!! i miss puppy's breath!Sly my "monkey" now already 6.5 months..

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jan 30, 2005, 10:05 PM

Post #14 of 19 (2855 views)
Shortcut

*sings* ~.~ Congratulations, it's a celebration!! ~.~

Loads of luck in bringing up your puppy! Remember to take loads of photos cos they grow up so fast! I kinda forgot when I first got BB (shih tzu), he was a teensy-weensy thing and his color was not as light as he is now... After 6mths of having BB as my son, I looked back at his photos and he looked so different! You won't notice it when you watch your precious grow little by little everyday!

You and your wife have done yourself a big favor by loving a puppy and in return for your (soon to be) housebreaking headache (Tongue), your puppy will make it all worth it in the end...

I liked the name Geneva for a female GR. So far, it's unheard of as I inspired myself to think about that name... Hahahahaha!

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

thomstan
Canine Addict

Feb 1, 2005, 11:09 PM

Post #15 of 19 (2835 views)
Shortcut

ahh so you've already paid for a pup... and you'll be getting the pup tomorrow.. congrats! but you gotta prepare yourself for a few things.. you got your own kids? If yes then I guess I can tell you that taking care of a pup is almost like a caring for a toddler. They are darn cute to play with but it is expected that pee and poo will be everywhere.. don't punish her for that.. . To have a trained dog, patience, consistantcy and discipline is very important in oneself. Someone in this forum said, there is no bad dog.. only bad owner.. which I personally think it's very very true. Do not over pampered your dog as well.

There are lotsa advice in this forum you can seek. I believe all topics/tips/tricks have been discussed. You just need to spend a little time to browse around and you'll eventually find your answers.

If you and your wife has got no kids yet.. then this would be a real good warming up programme

good luck!!!!!!

The one you love is the one that should take you higher

jonathanfong
Novice

Feb 16, 2005, 4:14 PM

Post #16 of 19 (2760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] {jonathanfong] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kelsey,

I have some questions for u since u owned a GR. First, she (Amber) is growing up....very playful and naughty too. Can't seem to make her listen but sometimes when we prepare to give her food, she will listen when we say "Sit Down"....then she will just sit and waited for us to feed her. We've been noticing that every time she finishes her meals, she needs to play. Also, after 5 to 10 minutes of playing....she will then start peeing or something else (u know wat I mean). Anyway...it's been 2 and a half months now....we realised she loves to bite all the time....so we asked a friend who owns dogs and they said she's starting to grow her teeth. So, she bites now. However, she is not just biting her toys or bones, she is also biting her bowls and blanket even us. We've been getting some sort of scratches mark whenever she bites especially on our hands. I tried many ways to stop her from biting our hands but nothing seems to work. So, we are a little bit worried abt the situation we're having on her.

Is it normal for a GR at this age to bite all the time?

Not just that, she started to eat grass as well whenever we let her out to the garden to run around and play. I heard that it's normal for a dog to eat grass cause they treated them some sort of a medication when they're not feeling well...to help digestion or something. Am I right on this matter too?

Please, anyone who can help and show us some guidance on these matter we're facing, we really appreciate it.Smile

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 16, 2005, 4:34 PM

Post #17 of 19 (2755 views)
Shortcut

dear jonathan..

ahhh...yes now u know why i said puppies are chewing machine.:) very playful and naughty is perfectly normal. yes she will not listen but patience pays. but good that she will sit down when u prepare her food. but i recommend you use only 1 word ie sit, stay, down, come, you get what i mean. this is because it's difficult for the dog to understand u when u sometimes say "sit down" and sometimes say "sit". this is just my recommendation. you can perhaps give her the "sit" command and the down command when she is in sit to down her.

puppies have small bladder, so dont worry about her peeing after meal or even pooping after meal. this is normal. i suggest after she eats, dont exercise her too much. dont play catch with her or anything, if she wants to play, just let her play on her own. this also can help to prevent bloat which can be very serious in our GR. wait 1 hour before running activities.

the biting part is yes part growing teeth and part exploring. you know how babies love to put everything in their mouth, same goes with ur pup. your pup dont have hands to experiement things so she will use her mouth. so dont be suprised even things that u think is gross, she will want to put in her mouth. i wont say biting should entirely be discourage as this is the way the dog communicate but the dog has to learn bite pressure. do u have chew toys for her? dont buy those squeeky ones as they are not only annoying but also can cause stress to the dogs. buy just a simple chew toy made of hard rubber and give it to her. also when she nips on u, say a loud "OUCH" and exaggerate a bit and leave her. GR hate to be left alone and chances are she will follow you to apologize. if she plays nice, praise her, play bad, leave her. she will get the message. also dont give ur hands for her to chew on. later she will think hands are chew toys. i play some trading game with roxy, ie, when teeth touches hand, i hold her favourite toy in my other hand and try to trade with her. this seems to work and i praise her for taking the toys. you can also tell Amber "NO" and remove ur hand when she tries to nip. puppy teeth are so sharp and yes they can cause scratches, but we are lucky as puppies dont have the bite pressure yet so they will release immediately.

i dont really like to say "NO" to roxy as then she will always hear "NO" so i invented commands so that she wont get "NO" from us all the time. so when i see her wanting to play fight with me, i walked away and she follows me. if i see her want to nip my hand, i ready a chew toy and trade with her. and the best command i have taught her is "leave it". this is very very effective as before she even go take something she is not suppose to, i wil say leave it and she will stare at me and at the thing, then i proceed to "come". so save the use of the command "NO".

you will see her biting till 2 years old, but on later stage like after 5 months, she will know bite pressure if u teach her so it wont hurt so much like now. GR are slow to mature. even giant breed are slow to mature...so have to bear with it lor.

eating grass, try giving her blended veggies as a treat. you can blend carrots, sawi & maybe celery and freeze it. give it to her the next day and she can be at this for hours!! so give u and ur wife some time off. yes dogs eat grass when the tummy is not feeling well. but better she eat veggies than grass cause grass may have ticks and whatsoever lah. but remember veggies also meant dietary fibre so dont freak out if her stool is a bit soft. if its too soft, then u cut back the veggies. dont worry, this is just a phase, she will get out of eating grass.

hope this helps you k

p/s - i miss roxy when she was that age but certainly didnt miss the chewing stage..Sly

jonathanfong
Novice

Feb 16, 2005, 5:01 PM

Post #18 of 19 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Getting A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Kelsey,

Thank you for the advice....the problem is she doesn't listen. Well, puppies doesn't seem to know wat's going on unless they're properly trained. Anyway, thanks again for the advice and we will make use of the ways u suggested on Amber.

Take care.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 17, 2005, 12:45 AM

Post #19 of 19 (2728 views)
Shortcut

dont worry about the listen part...she is a dog..Sly it will take a while before she understands...she can understand u if u repeat everyday..probably by late 3 months ++

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my