Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Busy People Can Have a Dog Too

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 13, 2005, 5:17 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Busy People Can Have a Dog Too Can't Post

Think you’re too busy for a dog? Maybe you just need a plan and some help.

1. Hire a Visitor
Experts advise owners who work full time to make arrangements for doggie day care, in-home sisters or someone to come in during the day to feed, walk and play with the dog.

2. Decrease that Boredom
At the very least dog should have a playmate and plenty of mind-challenging things to do during the day – hidden treats to discover, strategically placed, treat-filled toys to work on or interactive toys to make the dog think. Bored, lonely dogs tend to get into trouble.

3. Take Time to Train
Remember obedience training, which all dogs require, but especially small ones and intelligent breeds. Certainly you must train in the quest for a well-mannered dog, but classes and home practice also help you bond with your pet.
You’ll need to dedicate an hour each week and 10 minutes a day to training lessons for the next few months. If you can’t set aside that time, delay getting a puppy until you can.

4. Make it Quality Time
Play ball with your dog when you get home from work. Read newspaper out loud while petting. Go for a short walk in the morning. Spend 15 minutes brushing out their coat. Get down on the floor together and roll around. or give your dog a much-craved belly rub.

All of these activities can turn a few minutes into quality time. Your canine friend will love you for every bit of it.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Jan 14, 2005, 7:38 AM)

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 20, 2006, 6:34 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Busy People Can Have a Dog Too [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey chrisong,

u have five dogs, how do u manage to spend each of time the "quality time"?

Visit Hero and Casper's Blog

chrisong
Doggyman

May 20, 2006, 7:05 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyling] Busy People Can Have a Dog Too [In reply to] Can't Post

Morning Cleaning, brushing & combing hair 5-10min each dog, preparing food for them & cuddle each of them before going to work. Evening-cleaning, brushing & combing hair 5-10min each dog, bring them each of them for walk in my housing area for about 10min each dog. At Night-All my dog sleep in my air-cond bedroom with me & wife. Talk & play with them before going to sleep. Some will jump on my bed and sleep some with sleep on their on bed. That the daily routine I do with my dogs & they know I love them very much.

Beside that, I love bring them out joining doggie activities. Dog show, K9 day, RDO day, visit old fork home & orghanage & many more with my doggie friend.

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 21, 2006, 5:17 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Huh.. u bring each of them for walk one by one ? or all go together ?

chrisong
Doggyman

May 21, 2006, 5:20 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1137 views)
Shortcut

One by one or Sometime two/three. Depend what time I reach home.

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 22, 2006, 3:48 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Wao... u r great ler.. of course they know u love them very much... SmileWinkCool

Talk to them ? hmm... doesn't lok very weird mer? u talk they can understand we talking to them ?Everytime I talk to Hero.. he also dun concentrate on me.. onli know to chew his bone or look here and there .. Crazy

chrisong
Doggyman

May 22, 2006, 5:18 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Yes. They can understand what you trying to say to them. Some people say it is weird but it is true that dog really can understand what you say. To my surprise even I try use different language they also know!!! Amazing!!!Sly

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 23, 2006, 3:12 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1114 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Wao... u r great ler.. of course they know u love them very much... SmileWinkCool

Talk to them ? hmm... doesn't lok very weird mer? u talk they can understand we talking to them ?Everytime I talk to Hero.. he also dun concentrate on me.. onli know to chew his bone or look here and there .. Crazy

i oso tends to talk 2 my dog....is d way 2 communicate.....

by talking 2 them more often....they will know what we want and what v expect them 2 do....

mayb it sound weird....but it seems very natural for me 2 talk 2 them.....i really couldn't imagine how could i communicate wit them without opening my mouth....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 23, 2006, 4:11 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Busy People Can Have a Dog Too [In reply to] Can't Post

haha.. yeah... talking is the main method we can communicate with our dogs...

but hero dun concentrate one.. If i let him lay or sit down there and talk to him, he will go cari his bone and chew on it... if i carry him face to face with me, he will look here and there Crazy

then now i usually just talk to him whenever i like despite what he is doing, playing, laying, chew... except when he is doing business and eating.. dun wan to interrupt him...Tongue but dunno he can know i want to talk to him... Tongue

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 23, 2006, 10:13 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1095 views)
Shortcut

i think probably becoz Hero is still a puppy....so tends to be very busy wit his own business....

when in d house....pacco very concentrate and focus on me almost 100%.... whenever i walk or move around....she will also tends to follow....when i talk 2 her.....sometimes she gv me a confused look....

i think probably becoz of crate training.....sad 2 say tat due 2 my busy studying hours....she was in crate most of the time when i'm not around.....

so she is pretty bored in there....so when i'm back home during d nite.....she will be extreme happy n leap up 2 my arms.... n she follow wherever i go....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my