Home: Breed Specific: Terrier Group:
scottish T Question

kerlynne
New User

Jan 9, 2005, 11:23 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2149 views)
Shortcut
scottish T Question Can't Post

Anyone would know my Scottie pups ears are floppy instead of erect? I think it's cuter the way they do fall down, but all the pictures I see online, have them up (which I know is a usual thing). I noticed certain times, like when he is running, or listening to something, he will put them up. SO is it a laziness, not to be up. OR is it supposed to be all the time. OR, is it something we are supposed to do, young, like the do with other breeds.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 10, 2005, 6:51 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kerlynne] scottish T Question [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm no scottish terrier expert but the scots you see have very pointed ears rite? That's coz they cropped the ear, cut and bandage them to make it errect... I have seen scots with floppy ears and errect ears, it's all how the muscles are... by cropping, the muscles will grow stronger and carry the ears better but it's a very painful process..... That's why I never crop my boxer's ears.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 11, 2005, 6:56 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Scottie ear is erect wan You no need to crop the ear unless you wan to enter him for dog comformation show. If you only keep him as a pet then you no need to put your scottie to go through all this painful cropping ear.

Where you brought the scottie? Is it Imported from Australia?

kerlynne
New User

Jan 12, 2005, 6:43 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] scottish T Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you both for getting back to me so quick. I will not go through the process to "change" his ears. I was just curious. Little nervous today, as he is getting fixed. I have been a nervous wreck!

I bought him from an area pet store, in New Jersey. My vet seems to guess that he could have come from Lancaster County In Penn, since that's where they are commonly breed there. You don't see many around here. In fact, I have been wanting a Scottish T for years, but didn't know how to get one, till I saw my Dallas advertisement in the paper. Our other dog is from the Humane society, where I like to see people get their dogs, since so many are put to sleep. However, once I laid eyes on him, my heart melted!!

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2005, 8:47 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Crazymouse and Chrisong: DO NOT PROVIDE "ADVICE" ABOUT DOGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. If Kerlynne or anyone else decided to crop their dog's ears based on your "information" that cropping is the method by which Scotties' ears are made to stand up, you would have contributed to the mutilation of a dog entirely out of ignorance.

Scotties DO NOT have cropped ears. Their ears stand up naturally WITHOUT need for cropping as do GSDs and West Highland White Terriers.

Kerlynne: I have West Highland White Terriers and their ears become erect naturally. It is the breed standard that they have erect ears as part of their alert appearance. This same breed standard applies to Scotties. Some Westies (and Scotties) have "problems" getting upright ears - call it lazy muscles or sometimes even poor breeding. There is a method by which to help the ears stand up. I have used it sucessfully on Angus my Westie. It is GUARANTEED painless and non-invasive. The technique is as follows.

You will need Micropore tape. This is hypo-allergenic surgical tape that won't stick hard to the dog's hair (for when you are changing the tape) or cause skin irritation to the dog.

Fold your dog's ears in half vertically. Wrap the folded ear with the micropore tape. Repeat with the other ear. You will now have a scotty with floppy coned shaped ears. Take a long piece of micropore and wrap one end around one taped ear several times, leaving enough tape to create a straight strip approx. 1" long then wrap the other end of the tape around the other ear. You will now have the ears in an "H" formation above the dog's head. To "reinforce" the connecting strip between the ears, you can incorporate a straw between the tape. Tape the ears up like that for 3 days then take it off and see if it has worked. If it hasn't after a day, retape the ears. Wait 2 days and check again. Then if it still hasn't worked, tape the ears up for a day then check again. Leave the ears for a day if it hasn't worked, then begin the 3-2-1 day programme again.

I used this technique on Angus and it worked. However, there are some points to consider before you start this: how old is your dog? Would it really bother you if his ears are never upright? Can you be bothered to go through this whole taping doo-dah?

Angus was 14 weeks old or so when I tried this out on him. His breeder had told me to try this technique as I was concerned that his ears weren't standing up yet. Angus's mother Tina's ears never stood up (so it was poor breeding that was the reason for Angus's ears not coming up!!) but his brother Merlin's ears came up on their own without any help.

You could try one 3-2-1 cycle on your dog to see how it goes but if it doesn't work, don't be disappointed.

All the best. Give your dogs a hug and kiss for me.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2005, 5:26 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] scottish T Question [In reply to] Can't Post

WEI !!! What wrong with you lah.

Please read the post I posted carefully.

Do I suggest to crop the Scottish ear?

You think you the only person knowing the scottish breed ar? You own a Scottie?

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2005, 8:15 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2025 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You no need to crop the ear unless you wan to enter him for dog comformation show. If you only keep him as a pet then you no need to put your scottie to go through all this painful cropping ear.

You said there was no need to crop the ears unless entering the dog for show. By that statement, you are saying that that ear cropping is the means by which to get the Scottie's ears to stand up. You are also stating that ear cropping is required in order to show the dog. Scotties, Westies and GSDs with cropped ears would be barred from the show ring because it would be considered a mutilation.

You may not have introduced the aspect of ear cropping in response to Kerlynne's enquiry about her Scottie's ears but your comments merely go on to reinforce Crazymouse's assertion that it is the means by which to make the Scottie's ears stand up. That is irresponsible advice since ear cropping is never carried out on Scotties and shows your ignorance about the breed. If you take offence when someone points out that you don't know what you are talking about then I suggest you abstain from giving advice about breeds on which you have no knowledge.

I don't have Scotties but I have Westies and they have the same breed standard for ears. Neither breed has their ears cropped in order to make them stand up.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2024 views)
Shortcut

"Scottie ear is erect wan You no need to crop the ear unless you wan to enter him for dog comformation show. If you only keep him as a pet then you no need to put your scottie to go through all this painful cropping ear."

Can you just read the whole massage!!! Not the end part. What I mean is that since her scottie ear can't erect and she really what her scottie to have erect ear then she might consider for ear cropping but it is not adviseble. GET IT!!!

Why don't you just give your opinion in the forum rather then create problem. Just write your opinion and your sugestion THAT ALL!!! Don't question other people knowledge and yes people will get offenced.Mad

Scottie terrier is Scottie terrier. Westie is Westie. They are not same breed. You asuming both with erect ear it does't mean they are the same. How much you know about scottie? Are you sure I don't know about sccotie terrier breed? You don't even know me.

Let us stop this OK. We are here because our furkid not to create enemies!!!

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2005, 6:25 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2016 views)
Shortcut

You really cannot see where you have gone wrong. Scotties NEVER have their ears cropped no matter what. If ANYONE tried to enter a Scottie in a show with cropped ears, they would be disqualified from showing immediately. Ear cropping is not part of the breed standard for Scotties. Yet you mention that if Kerlynne wants to show her dog, she might consider having her dog's ears cropped in order to make them stand up. Ear cropping is never done on Scotties to make their ears stand up.

Westies. Scotties and Cairn terriers were once bred as the same breed known as the Aberdeen Terrier. To this day, they have the same breed standard with regard to ears.

Whatever you do or don't know about Scotties, you certainly do not know about their ears. I did not question your knowledge, it was already questionable.

As for reading messages properly, I suggest YOU go back and read Kerlynne's post as well as Crazymouse's reply. Kerlynne's concern was that her Scottie's ears were NOT erect, unlike those of other Scotties that Kerlynne had seen in pictures. Kerlynne was wondering why.

If you get angry because someone points out the mistake in your advice then refrain from proffering advice. It was bad enough that Crazymouse - who admits to knowing nothing about Scotties - had made the comment about ear cropping but worse, you are a Silky Terrier owner and you went on to talk about ear cropping if Kerlynne wanted to show her Scottie. Surely as the owner of a breed with UNCROPPED naturally erect ears, you ought to know better.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2005, 8:01 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2014 views)
Shortcut

OK OK OK DR know it All. You are right. I am wrong. Is this fine with you?

If I keep going to post message you will still want to argue somemore BLAHBLAH...................... And you still doesn't get what I mean from my last post.Frown I should keep the month shout like crazymouse.Unimpressed

THE END

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2005, 11:36 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2003 views)
Shortcut

I hope Kerlynne understands English better than you don't.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 13, 2005, 3:52 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1996 views)
Shortcut

I think you have some personal problem.... hmmmmmm.

Still want some more. I told you to end this. Better post some useful info rather then arguing.

STOP HERE OK

Gackt
Novice

Apr 18, 2005, 9:03 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1856 views)
Shortcut

my 2 scotties' ears erect when they are almost 2 to 3 months..... one is a wheaten boy and the other is a black girl.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my