Doggy underweight but won't eat

aileen100
Novice

Jan 6, 2005, 4:45 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Doggy underweight but won't eat Can't Post

Hello doggies lovers!

I have a shihtzu and she's 3 months plus and underwieght! She about 3lbs+ which my vet says is too underweight!

The problem is she is a very choosy eater! I'm feeding her sciencediet as its recommended by many ppl. What can i do to encourage her to eat? I've even tried mixing a little treats inside her food...sometimes she'll, sometimes not.

She is a quiet dog. She hardly barks and just sits and observe the surrounding. She likes to stare out of the door. Could she be lonely for other dogs?

Please help!
FrownFrownFrownFrown~AILEEN~FrownFrownFrown

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 14, 2005, 8:14 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aileen100] Doggy underweight but won't eat [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since I got my pup, I've been feeding him Canidae. At one time while eating, he chocked on the food and thereafter he stops eating.

At first I thought it could be his throat which is hurting after the incident, so I gave him kibbles soaked with milk until soggy so it would be easier for him to eat and swallow. After 3 days I stoped the soggy kibbles. He would eat about 3 bites or so then he'll stop even though he's hungry. It worries me a lot coz he's not eating at all.

Then I tried splashing a small amount of milk on the kibbles and walla... he starts eating again even when it's not soggy. So everytime when he stops eating I would splash a small amount of milk into the kibbles. It works well for me but it takes a long time to feed him and you'll have to monitor.

I've heard people saying that can't tolerate the lactose in milk.. but mine is just doing great. The first time when he had milk he did had diarrhea. Maybe I put too much milk powder.

After reducing the milk powder from 4 scoops to 1 scoop, his poo is back to normal.

Just my 2 cents. It works well for me. Not sure if it's gonna be the same for you.

Good luck!

The one you love is the one that should take you higher

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 12, 2005, 9:08 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1391 views)
Shortcut

hi aileen,,

there is a supplement which could help your dog to improve the appetite..jst like human's appetton...

its quite normal for doggie to be fusssy with foood....sometimes due to bad habit also...but dun change the food jst becos he refused a few timess...keep on to it and eventually it will eat
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 13, 2005, 10:06 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Hi Aileen, how is your doggy doing? Reached normal weight?

It might be a little tricky, since such a small toy breed needs very little food only. I guess that you could count the kibbles instead of using a measuring cup or weighing scale.I fed my puppy 6 times a day and slowly reduced to twice daily. Puppies need a lot of rest & sleep and, if they do not have a chance to do that then they will be to tired to eat.

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Jul 22, 2005, 10:44 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

My girl Angel has the same problem too... no matter what brand of food she will do the same. Don't mind me asking, are you feeding with other food ie. chicken meat or other human food ?

I did gave Angel some chicken meat and that was actualy the cause of her not eating her own kibbles. I have consulted many ppl on this issue. My girl is 1 years and 8 months but only weight 23.9 kg. Kind of thin for a GR. I did also tried mixing her kibbles with milk and occasionally with Science Diet canned food. It works !

Also, try to avoid giving her too much treats when it is near to meal time.... some times, they will forget about the main meal... he he ...

Hope this will help...
A Dog Never Lies About Love

Nishi
Novice

Jul 23, 2005, 1:05 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I have a 1 yr plus shihtzu. She's now weight about 6kgs. Doc said just maintain this weight will do. I think your shihtzu should be about 9 mths, right? Is she still underweight? By now, she should be about 4-5kgs.

When mine is about 7 mths, we started to feed her home cooked food, lamb with rice (50% minced lamb/beef, 50% carrot rice) for her dinner. Breakfast is her dry food. When I am not working, will fed her biscuit for her tea time.

Hope this will help you.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my