IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
dual personality dog

kitten_penang

Jan 6, 2005, 2:40 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1214 views)
Shortcut
dual personality dog Can't Post

I have a black female chihuahua that's 6 month old. Her name's so so that means very thin in chinese based on her size when i adopted her. She's very playful with me but runs under my couch when ever she sees people she doesn't reconize. The problem is when i'm at home she'l bark n nip at the people in my house but when i'm out she wil play n watch tv wit them.It's like she has a different character when i'm around. Her playin n nippin r gettin more rough n painful by the day. She even nips at your face. I bought several raw hide for her to chew on when i'm at home so she doesn't nip at my bf but she will just hide it n continue nippin at him. When i try to stop her she will nip and bark at me. Any suggestion on how to make her stop?

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 6, 2005, 9:00 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten_penang] dual personality dog [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry ur doggie don't have dual personality but she doesnt know her order in ur pack. u mentioned she was adopted. when? is she a rescue dog?

chihuahua are very loyal dogs to the owners, up to the point it may get jealous which may explains why she is biting ur bf and family. she is close to you. it will follow you whenever u go.

is she socialize properly with ppl, she can be aggressive if not properly mix with ppl. suggestion, when she is nipping ur bf, ask him to say a loud "OUCH" and move away. your bf have to act on her so she will now that not only u r boss. about her nipping and barking at you, she don't respect you. pls don't hurt her when she does this as she is a small dog.

if any of your family is short tempered, i suggest when she is biting mode, ask them to move away or buy small crate and put the dog in the crate when she starts nipping to punish her. it could also be she is changing teeth, have u check this?

i think the only way is probably let as many ppl interact with her as possible. lack of socialization and trust can be the root of this problem.

kitten_penang

Jan 8, 2005, 6:16 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] dual personality dog [In reply to] Can't Post

I puchased her n her brother after i saw them stuffed up in a small cage together on the front porch of a house in farlim. It's a metal cage 4 cats i think. When i brought them home 4 a bath they could hardly walk coz their nails were 2 long n they smelled of poo 2. I talked 2 owner she din want 2 sell me the dogs at 1st she said they were for breedin n their pups were sold for around rm350.The dog was so thin my bf thought i brought back a goat from africa, after sou sou got used 2 regular meals it started excretin 4 inch worm. I colected every single 1 of the 25 worms in a bag n brought her 2 the wet in sg 2, it went on for 4 days.She's had a though life thats y i don use force against her. I will try the "ouch" thing but i don think the box thing will work since she kinda has a phobia. Every time she see's outsiders she will just run under the couch or bed. She only berks n nip at the people thats in the house.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2005, 7:51 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1189 views)
Shortcut

then i will conclude this as lack of socialization with human contact. yes don;t use the crate as she is scared of the crate now. you also mentioned long nails and smell of poo. this 2 dogs sadly have never had the past owner "sayang" them but always breed each time the female come in heat. this is cruel.

good work on rescuing them. i could understand now why she is biting and nipping. she does not trust human contact. she think human will hurt her. you will need a lot of work for this pup to get her not to bark and nip at everyone. you can start slowly by just slowly moving to her when she is resting, just ask someone to pet her gently on her back (not near the tail but on her spine) and just praise her like say :good girl: or :good dog: and maybe give her a treat too. repeat this with different person in the family every day. if she tries to bite, stop what u r doing, say the word "NO" or "ouch" with a deep growl but continue to pet her gently again after she stops nipping. just be patient, it will take her weeks or maybe months to recover from her past ordeal.

once she has trust that human hand is not bad, she will not run when she see outsider or bite/nip ur family. never ever hit her. once you have re-condition her into a pup u want her to be, never give her a chance to go to her old self. so this good gentle touch has to be maintained until the day she dies. chihuahua make great loyal pets if socialize properly. once she is not scared of the human hand, you can have a wonderful dog next to you for a good 15 years!

kitten_penang

Jan 8, 2005, 10:04 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] dual personality dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. The vet told me she might hav an anxiety problem 2. Guez too much of love n no love r bad 4 my little doggies. After reading the other forums i guez my little dogs behaviour can be corrected n i'm not the only 1 wit problems that i cannot understand.Thanks 2 people like u we'll all b a hapy family.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2005, 6:37 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1180 views)
Shortcut

great work for bringing her to a vet so yes anxiety cause looking at how she live before. kudos for your patience. no worries about the help.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my