help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

eccc
Novice

Mar 3, 2003, 6:16 PM

Post #1 of 26 (6064 views)
Shortcut
help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! Can't Post

Hey, i just got my 2 mth shihzu-Timmy yesterday. i put him in my room, and his crate too., midnite he will be in crate so that he wont' pee n relief everywhere while i'm sleeping. the problem is he is crying fr 5am till 9am till i let him out- i fed him 5 am. i can;t sleep whole day cos he is craying whole night- thats y i thought of putting him n the crate downstair room- will it be better? then daytime i'll let him out play around ( which i'll be headace on his relief everywhere)

he love to pee on my floor....andi'm using housebreaking aid on the newspaper- which under the crate area. i gueess i gotta be more patient to train him. i;m still confuse don;t know where is the specific place train let him relief- in his crate? or outside( which if i;m not home - will be problem for outside) or on a newspaper with tray- put it in a place whenever he is ..?

i have no idea y he is crying- maybe he want to come out- but i worry he will defacate on my floor while i;m sleeping- since not yet fully understand to relief in his crate...help me

jacng
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 6:08 PM

Post #2 of 26 (6024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eccc] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi eccc

I can relate to your experience. I have a 9 week old Shihtzu bichon mix. When I brought him home at 7 weeks, he was also the same. I was unable to sleep for the first 2 nights as i locked him in his cage at night and put him in my living room. He bising the whole night and I was unable to sleep. After 2 days, from advice in the various post in the forum, I realise that my pup was just confused with the change to a new place and therefore needed some sort of routine in his life. Therefore after considering many options, in the end I decided to let him loose in my kitchen only during the day and lock him up in his cage during the night. This is because I go back to my mum's place every weekend and my mum does not like a puppy running about in the house. Therefore to prevent as many disruptions as possible in my pup’s daily routine, I have to train and keep him in his cage at night. I also moved his cage to the kitchen permanently.

While getting use to this routine, my pup still cry and whine in the night. To discipline him, I roll up some newspaper and hit the side of his cage or the floor to make a loud noise and said “Quiet” in a stern voice. After 2 more sleepless nights. He finally got used to the idea and did not make any noise until morning.

Last weekend when i brought him back to my mum's place, he was also very good. He only woke me up twice in the night(considering it's a new place). I only need to say "Quiet" and ignore him and he will go back to sleep.

To toilet train him, I decided to use newspaper as he is a small breed. His pee and poo will not be too much to overflow from the newspaper. Moreover, I have decided to keep him indoors and therefore to me newspaper is the best choice. In the first week whenever I see him sniffing around on the floor in circles, I will immediately bring him to the newspaper for him to pee or poo. After a week, 7 out of 10 times he will go to the newspaper and do his business. Now at 9 weeks, if he is in the kitchen where the newspaper is, then he will make use of the newspaper. Otherwise, if I let him run loose in the house he will just pee and poo everywhere. I am still trying to train him to go to the kitchen where his potty is.

I hope that my experience will help you decide on how to train your pup. Do share with us on your progress.

Regards
Jac

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #3 of 26 (6023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacng] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jac thanks for ur info . now i;m better- cos he is sleeping w me same room everynite- he is my aumtomatic alarm clock everyday morning-8-8.30am! he always woke me up- disturbing me after he poo on the corner w newspaper- absorbent paper or puppy to pee/poo. can say now he is housebroken- but sometimes hetends to have accident- poo/pee wrong place. but if in my room, he will go to the paper there :)

e seems too pampered- have many toys, but he still bite my furniture in my room- when i didnt see him- he will biteit- but i\when i;m arouind- he is a good boy! cant believe shih tzu so smart and mischivious!

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #4 of 26 (6019 views)
Shortcut

i only put him in crate when i'm out- he tends to make noice b4 i;m out- will keep quiet after he knew i;m out. and now he will not pee/poo inside the cage till i back and let him out- then he will rush and pee lots on the newspaper.Smile

hope he stops biting few mths later so that i no need to worry my furniture n thing again- at least i have peace of mind if i chnage my furniture to new one :)

jacng
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #5 of 26 (6014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also have the problem of my pup biting and chewing things. I have given him lots of toys but he refused to chew on them. He prefers to chew on his cage door, furniture and my fingers. Whenever I am there I will say "No Bite" then he will look at me with a kesian look and will stop biting for about 10 minutes. Then he will start biting again. Hopefully he will grow out of this chewing stage soon.

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 9:44 PM

Post #6 of 26 (6010 views)
Shortcut

hah, mine is same- guess its their nature! i pray they he will stop soon...:)

maybe i have to use roll newspaper to scare him

ckbeep

Apr 1, 2003, 5:49 PM

Post #7 of 26 (6002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eccc] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I guess this is what u call "first day" at school for most the dogs. My Shih Tzu behave the same as yours. It took around a week before he knows where to poo (not pee). The first few days he will just poo in this cage and everywhere in the house. But after some training, he will do his business outside of the house, which is the compund. Guess he just knows that the place to sleep and play is not the place to poo. But occasianally, he will pee inside house as well Crazy. This happends when my house sliding door is not opened, or if it is raining outside. But the best thing about him is that he will not poo in his cage. He will do his business outside of the house in the morning before i go to work and once in the evening, sometimes twice. Laugh

My Shih Tzu will whine and call for "help" in midnight since the first day i brought him back until now, it's already 3 months. He is a very stubborn boy. So everytime i will either let him out in the kitchen or in my room to sleep. But during afternoon, he's in his cage, as i'm not at home. Weekend, he is free from all of this. He is free to roam the house. Sly

CkBeep

ally_py

Apr 1, 2003, 10:41 PM

Post #8 of 26 (5995 views)
Shortcut

can i ask u something? every time when ur dog pee or poo at the newspaper, wat does u do? throw away the newspaper quickly? but my pup use to play the newspaper, she bite it anywhere. and another thing is, she's very smelly. her eyes come out so many air mata that's coz her face so dirty n smelly. do u got this problem too?

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2003, 11:56 PM

Post #9 of 26 (5990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ally_py] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear ally_py,

Shih tzu do tears alot.U will have to clean their eyes EVERYDAY in order to prevent from any sort of infections.This is quite serious as they might go blind if not treated properly.Get a bottle of Opticlear eyewash.

As soon as cookie pee or poo on the newspapee,i'll add another clean sheet of newspaper on top of that newspaper.Cookie will not pee on the wet spot of the newspaper.He will not bite the papers he pee/poo on,instead he will go for those old papers under the table.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

jacng
Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2003, 12:35 AM

Post #10 of 26 (5987 views)
Shortcut

hi ally....
If I am at home and I can see that my Dewey pee or poo, I'll just throw away the newspaper immediately. When I am working, I just spread the newspaper to a bigger area so that he will have more space to pee and poo. Then when I get home in the evening, I will throw away the top layer of newspaper.

In the beginning, my pup also loves to chew up the newspaper. But during weekends and in the night after working, I will closely monitor his actions. Whenever he tries to play with the newspaper I will lightly pat his backside with my hand or a rolled up newspaper and say "No" sternly. After about 2 weeks, he now stop playing with the newspaper already even when I am not home.

As for the air mata, I clean my pup's face with a damp cloth every day after he makan coz he will have some kibbles stuck to his fur. So he's not so smelly. But for me most of the smell comes from the ears not the eyes. As I will be bringing Dewey to the vet for vaccination, I will ask the vet then about the smell in his ears.

ally_py

Apr 2, 2003, 10:46 PM

Post #11 of 26 (5978 views)
Shortcut

hi. my shih tzu don wan to give me clean her face leh! she always try to run away and cry like 'siau', like i'm gonna torture her, dunno y? i think she will be more naughty and naughty when she grow up. i bought her 1 month already. she's very clever, she learn very fast. but sometime just keep naughty and naughty. this few days she always pee on my bed. i know she 'sengaja' one, y she do it like that? all the family members r so sayang her u know. treat her like a baby.haiyo............. now i'm sick, n still can't have a rest bcoz of her." bo lat"Mad

jacng
Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2003, 12:06 AM

Post #12 of 26 (5974 views)
Shortcut

hi.... i dun have the problem with cleaning Dewey's face. Most of the times he's quite good coz i alwiz try to clean his face when he's feeling sleepy. I will put him in my lap so that he wun be able to run away. At times when he want to wriggle away, I will sayang him and give him a tummy rub and he will settle down then I continue cleaning.

I dunno whether this way will work for your shih tzu or not but perhaps you can give it a try.

ckbeep

Apr 3, 2003, 12:49 AM

Post #13 of 26 (5971 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Smelly ears means the ear is infected or they just simply overgrown with furs... u need to ask the vet to clean or cabut the fur out. The same goes to my Shih Tzu. After that the vet will give you cream to apply. It works....

CkBeep

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 3, 2003, 7:38 AM

Post #14 of 26 (5963 views)
Shortcut

Dear ally_py,

U can't just let her get away with it everytime if your dog struggle or as u said become "siau".U've gotta force her to let u clean the face coz it's very important.Shih Tzu's eyes r very prone to infection due to their tears and fur around their eyes that might irritate it.Eventually,he'll get used to the face cleaning in about a week time(for cookie) and u will have no problem doing it later on.One more thing,If u can clean their face with ease,it will be easier for u to teach them to lie down and stay still for u to "tie their hair" when it's get longer.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

timmy
Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #15 of 26 (5951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

i just wonder any of u all face problem that ur shih tzu bite your jeans/pants/long skirts/ any cloth?

i think i gave him a small cloth for him to bite n play- and he loves bite anyone w long pants!! is it related to the cloth i gave him to bite?

wat kind of punishment u guys give to ur pup other than saying 'no' firmly? mine is so stuboorn, he will pretend good boy only when i look at him n say no but another second, he mess all again!

he still have accident pee/pee even he is houseborken on the newspaper. dunno y .

ally_py

Apr 3, 2003, 9:16 PM

Post #16 of 26 (5951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Adam,

Yup. I use the way- force, as u said. but do u know that? if i force her, she will cry. she won't 'siau' again, but while u cleaning her face, her tears come out more n more, then her fur get wet again. just clean her eye area use almost an hour, until she stop crying. very kesian u know? actually i don like to force ppl, as same as a dog, but when u see her dirty face, haiyo............... smell like a.......... tak boleh tahan tau? i always feel very 'sim tia' after cleaning her face.Unsure

And another way is, i wait she sleep already baru clean her face. but i think this kind of way not suitable. sometime the dirty thing must clean by that time, cannot wait too long. if the dirty thing stay at her fur for a long time, it will be more difficult to clean, rite? so........ it is not easy to be a good mommy, rite?Crazy

timmy
Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2003, 7:50 AM

Post #17 of 26 (5940 views)
Shortcut

by the way, u use newspaper- after he pee- will he steps on its accidently then he walk on the floor- which make it sticky... mine always face this problem-- so i use the pet floor mat- which can absord it fast- clean- but its expensixe. just wonder any other cheaper solution to make sure he wwont step his pee -then dirty my floor...?

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 4, 2003, 8:42 AM

Post #18 of 26 (5939 views)
Shortcut

Dear Timmy,

I do give cookie a cloth to play with too and he loves it!It's one of his favourite thing to play with.Fortunately he does not bite those things that u've mentioned.But he do like to chew and sniff most of my short pants' pockets.

Punishment huh! Have u tried scolding your dog like a child? My dad does that all the time. Cookie really dislike being nag nag nag! My dad is very good at that.As soon as my dad start nagging,he'll go hide under the table and try his best NOT TO HAVE EYE CONTACT WITH MY DAD.Another way i use is to kick him out of the room.He really like to dig out those loosen wooden blocks from the floor and won't let go.So everytime i see him doing it,i'll carry him and put him outside the room and close the door until he drop the block.After about 2 times doing it,he got the idea and stopped.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 4, 2003, 9:01 AM

Post #19 of 26 (5938 views)
Shortcut

Dear ally_py,

I'm a daddy!lol

I've never seen cookie cry before so i have no idea how much tears his eyes will produce.Cookie was 3 mths when i got him so he might already been trained by my breeder.Maybe they also faces the same situation as u when he was younger.Try a few more times and see if things get better.Dogs do need more time to get use to stuff.When your "lui lui" is comfortable with cleaning face,there will be no more trouble.I rewarded cookie with treats after each grooming for the first few weeks but not anymore.It's better to force her to let u clean her face rather than going to the vet with eye infections rite.Prevention is better than cure!Btw,i only clean his face once a day.I will also clean again if i see his face dirty but mostly only once a day.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 4, 2003, 9:12 AM

Post #20 of 26 (5937 views)
Shortcut

My shih tzu was upstairs in my room with me and he was bz looking for things to bite.After i said no to one thing,he went on and to bite another.Before i start punishing him,I called him over and gave him a stomach rub.U can see it that he enjoyed it alot.The biting stopped and he went straight to bed.I'm not suggesting that u need to reward them to make the biting stop.All they wanted was just your attention,so they went to do wrong things to get it.Just give them a hug or a massage and they'll be satisfied.Laugh

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

evelynmoods
Novice

May 14, 2003, 1:05 AM

Post #21 of 26 (5808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckbeep] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ck ,

would like to check with u, since your shih tzu are almost the sam eas mine. when sleeping time she wil ask for "help" then barked non-stop. as i am staying at apartment so was so worried that will disturb our neighbour, so have no choice but to bring her sleep in my room...

But she will still whined and cry middle of the night. so i really don't know what to do... i have sleepless night every night.... As in the noon till evening , she will sleep non stop, kacau her also she will not wake up....

So when u put her in teh cage in teh afternoon, did ur shih tzu whine and cry and bark??? because now i am on holiday leave, will start my new job in end may, so was rather worried about her being alone at home... i really dunno what shall i do.

May be u can share your tips and experience with me .

Anyone who have this experience, please share with me.... i am depressed .

regards

evelyn, hubby and joey

joycet78

May 16, 2003, 10:53 PM

Post #22 of 26 (5783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evelynmoods] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

evelyn,

I have a two yrs old male shih tzu and have been leaving her at my apartment since he was a puppy. He made such noise when left in the crate, so I left him to roam free. Have also installed a camera to watch him while i'm away... I believe like mine most dogs sleeps while we're away. usually leave his some of favorite toys with him. Based on my observation he usually sleeps (80% of the time), plays with his toy or simply play chase with my cat ( my cat chase him back as they are both same size, he will sometimes butt my cat Monique with his head) then run away. Oh I use to leave the radio on for him too.

Was worried that he might make noise initially when he hears outside noises but after checking him a few weeks unless it concern knocking at our door / gate, he knows he should not bark.... so he's pretty good now.

To make up for the lonely hours, when i get home, will spend much time playing with him-especially hide and seek. As he needs to spent his energy take him out for walks and exercise... i believe he would be cry less... someone once told me "a tired dog is a happy dog", and i tried and it works!

Wish you luck! With lots of patience I'm sure things will turn for the better!Wink
JT78

evelynmoods
Novice

May 16, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #23 of 26 (5778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joycet78] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks joyce for your reply....

i believe joey can do better, she improve a little by little everyday... jope she get better in 2 weeks time, then i can start work without worried about her...

so u mean when you go to work, u let go your shih tzu freely at the apartment? did he run here and there and mess up??? So he has been toilet trained issit?

by the way where are you staying?

cheers,

evelyn, hubby and joey

joycet78

May 17, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #24 of 26 (5776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evelynmoods] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi evelyn,

Yeah, my shih tzu Jovi roams freely wherever he likes. He's been toilet trained on newspaper... but sometimes does pee at furniture to mark his teritory...especially when i leaves him alone for too long or don't want to play with him. I believes he wants attention when he does it. So far Jovi has never mess up with newspaper but like most dogs he doesn't like to step on any soiled newpaper that has been pooed/ pee-d on.

Well I live at Subang. feel free to contact me at joycet78@hotmail.com. Does your Joey allows you to cut her nails? my Jovi struggles and "screeeeams for help" as if he for the cooking pot!! Willing to try any new ideas!!
JT78

evelynmoods
Novice

May 17, 2003, 3:21 AM

Post #25 of 26 (5774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joycet78] help!my 2mth shihtzu crying wholenite! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jovi,

i have never tried cutting her nail, plan to bring her for groming tomorrow, then can do it onc eand for all, then at least i have an idea how to do it... she use to let me comb her hair sinc eday one she with me... but do not why yesterday and today she bark at me, whenever i start to comb. she will runaway...

i wonder why....

cheers

evelyn, hubby and joey

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my