when should i start

kulajay15
Novice

Dec 25, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #1 of 25 (4829 views)
Shortcut
when should i start Can't Post

Hi,

My name is Jeremy and I am about to recieve a Yellow labrador puppy. When I go to pick him up he will be 6 weeks old. I really just want to know if he will be to young to house train. Many people are telling me that i am getting the dog to young and i will not be able to teach it until its atleast three months. Is that true?or not?. I am kind of concerned that the puppy will be to young to understand what i am trying to teach it. Please respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours,

Jeremy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Dec 26, 2004, 2:38 AM

Post #2 of 25 (4819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kulajay15] when should i start [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kulajay

i don't think it is too young to train your puppy at the age of 6 weeks old... I got my shih tzu at 8 weeks old, and she knows where to pee...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 26, 2004, 5:47 AM

Post #3 of 25 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Hello Jeremy,

Puppies that leave their moms at 6 weeks are sometimnes derived of mother and puppy training. A pup that's separated from their moms at early ages maybe a bit harder to train.... the best time to take a puppy back home is when it's 8 weeks old, just like a kitten.....

Still trainable but it's how the pup's personality is... some pups are eager to learn and will quickly obey a command in just a few short minutes or hours... some pups need a few days...

When the pup is 6 weeks, you should never beat it, shout at it, punish it or do what so ever to harm it... this time is crucial and if the stuff above are done to the puppy, it will remember it for life or will be very afraid of you... All you need to train it now is pee and poo at right places, come and know it's name... when it's about 8 or 9 weeks, you can challenge it a little with sit and stay.... but it takes a lot of time and patiences lah....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

kulajay15
Novice

Dec 26, 2004, 12:55 PM

Post #4 of 25 (4805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] when should i start [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for responding. I didnt think that it would be much of a problem but i just wanted to get some other insight.

Thanks

Jeremy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Dec 26, 2004, 6:19 PM

Post #5 of 25 (4796 views)
Shortcut

you are welcome. thanks to crazymouse also.... SmileSmileSmile

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 30, 2004, 9:46 AM

Post #6 of 25 (4746 views)
Shortcut

Stanley~

erm, as we r gng to get ebony & wont cage her, any good idea abt her pee & poo problem arr..

Regards,

Yang

MisterStan
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2004, 5:05 PM

Post #7 of 25 (4744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] when should i start [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

i have not see ebony before... i assume the size is not that big as Pipimom told me ebony is mix schanuzer and alsation.... how old is ebony ar? for pee, you can either bring ebony to newspaper asap if you noticed he/she is going to pee, or you take the newspaper, absorb some pee and let ebony sniff sniff.. this is taught by my sifu, crazymouse... muahahahahaha....

for poo, is a bit hard for me to teach my shih tzu... because i do not now when my shih tzu will poo... and sometimes very hard to catch her and bring her newspaper to poo there, and praise.. my shih tzu poo very fast... puppy's bladder are uncontrollable, not like adult dogs...

but sometimes we do know whether they are gonna poo or not... like for henry, when he needs to poo, he won't poo straight away, he will go in circles few times, then poo..

for my shih tzu, (sometimes only) she will bark once or twice, then she rush to the cage and poo there.. i don't know how she know to poo there also.. so i also don't know how now.... CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

if i trained her to poo newspaper, scared she confused with cage liao... not sure if i should let it as it is, that is to let her poo in crate... CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

hehehe.. good luck in training ebony...

Ps: If ebony is matured, then you gotta have patience to train ebony to do his business in desired place, as they tend to learn slower than puppies..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 2, 2005, 8:25 AM

Post #8 of 25 (4695 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Dogs are never too young or too old to be taught ...

Teaching a dog is easy ... trying to "train" a dog owner how to properly teach/train a dog is the difficult part ... UnsureCrazyShocked ...

If you wish to train a dog ... then -

(a) Accept and appreciate the fact that you cannot learn how to train a dog without acquiring the requisite knowledge ... You need to learn about dogs, their nature & language ... the more a dog owner understands the nature of dogs - the easier teaching/training a dog becomes.

(b) Accept that trying to teach a dog requires more than just shouting out commands in a loud voice - so, learn about the different training methods ... all methods have pros & cons ... learn as much as you can.

(c) Adopt the correct attitude & apply the proper approach to training a dog ... consistency, patience & love.

If a dog owner is not prepared to do the above - then it is already too late to train the owner ... the dog is fine, but the owner is lost! ... Tongue

So - your new year resolution should be - get a good dog training manual from a book shop & start learning ...

Cheers & have a great year

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 3, 2005, 9:51 PM

Post #9 of 25 (4680 views)
Shortcut

labs are good first dog and yes what surchinmy posted should be your new year resolutionSmile 6 weeks is a little bit young, recommended to get it at 8 weeks. at least the pup still have 2 weeks with his mother so she can teach him some other doggy stuff.

but if u want to get at 6 weeks, train kindly and gently but be firm. it's a very crucial moment and some things to expect is endless method for housetraining, waking up several times a night until the pup is about 11 weeks for pee/poo, abundance of energy for retrievers.

retreivers make great dogs, cherish yours, she/he will grow so fast!

IHeartShihpoo
Novice

Jan 4, 2005, 10:23 AM

Post #10 of 25 (4669 views)
Shortcut

I agree with the fact that puppies should be taught as early on as possible, BUT 6 weeks is way too young to be taken away from their mother! Most puppies are not given away until they are at least 7-8 weeks. At 6 weeks, they should still be with their mom, and by taking them away at that age, they are missing some essential natural lessons taught by their mom. I would wait it out at least 1 and a half weeks more.

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 14, 2005, 9:01 AM

Post #11 of 25 (4609 views)
Shortcut

My pup was about 6 ~ 7 weeks old when I got him. Started training when he was 8 weeks old.

Today he's about 3 months plus and he knows the sit, stay, OK, come, no and hand shake commands.

I'm still having the problem with house breaking though. Followed all the tips and tricks given by members in here but it didn't work all that well.

Just like what surchinmy said, training a dog requires more than just shouting commands. You MUST have the right attitude and apply the proper approach... consistancy, patience and love IS VERY IMPORTANT in order for you to successfully train your pup.

Maybe lack of consistency and time is why till today I still fail to house break that lil guy...

The one you love is the one that should take you higher

(This post was edited by thomstan on Jan 14, 2005, 9:02 AM)

kegy
Novice

Jan 26, 2005, 3:59 AM

Post #12 of 25 (4506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thomstan] when should i start [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

For house breaking did you clean up the place your dog mess with ? its the smell that make your dog go back to

the same place or do his business everywhere..

cheers

Smile

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 26, 2005, 5:46 PM

Post #13 of 25 (4498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kegy] when should i start [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like what I said earlier.. I'm still having some problem with house breaking. I've tried to clean up the entire place with disinfectant, squeeze lime and all sorts.. put his pee and poo staint in toilet.. but he's still peeing and pooing in the kitchen.. but he's doing it at the same spot though... i'm glad it's not all over the place.. phew..

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 26, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #14 of 25 (4493 views)
Shortcut

hello thomstan

you trained your puppy in newspaper or towel? for that part that your puppy always pee/poo in kitchen, covered that part with newspaper or towel, and see what is his reaction..

good luck!!!

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 26, 2005, 10:09 PM

Post #15 of 25 (4489 views)
Shortcut

Hi stan.. you may call me Thomas.. :)

It'll never work with towel... he'll play with them... news papers.. sometimes he'll tear them apart if it's still clean... else if he had pee on it.. he'll leave it...

The one thing that keeps me wondering is that it doesn't even matter if there's papers or not.. with or without he'll still pee in that part of kitchen...

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 26, 2005, 10:14 PM

Post #16 of 25 (4485 views)
Shortcut

hmmmm... same like my henry (beagle)... bite clean cloth and newspaper and leave the newspaper with pee alone.... well, that will behaviour will stop when reach adult age...

does yur puppy pee in the same part of kitchen or he randomly pick a spot and pee??

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 27, 2005, 5:55 PM

Post #17 of 25 (4470 views)
Shortcut

i hope it stops when it reaches adult...

he only pee at one spot. one thing that suprise me is that he don't poo in the house... only pee... he'll do his poo outside... i'm still puzzled... Crazy

when i bring him for his daily evening walks.. he'll never pee nor poo outside the house compound... only when he reaches home is when he'll start to find a spot to do his business... Crazy

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 27, 2005, 6:04 PM

Post #18 of 25 (4468 views)
Shortcut

well, that part that he usually pee, got the pee scent. that is why your pup always go back to same spot to pee.. maybe you can do something to remove the scent...

if poo, maybe your pup doesn't want to dirty the house as he knows that the house is home for him... hehe...

maybe you really gotta re-teach him again to pee on the right place...

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 28, 2005, 6:20 PM

Post #19 of 25 (4455 views)
Shortcut

done that... disinfect the entire kitchen and squeeze lime every where... put his pee smell in the toilet but he still refuse to pee in the toilet and simply find another spot to pee...

oh yea.. last nite i managed to train him the fetch command!!!!!! yahoooOOooOOoOooOOO

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 28, 2005, 7:10 PM

Post #20 of 25 (4448 views)
Shortcut

lol.... you were training him to pee at the right spot, and in the middle of no where, came fetch command.. UnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 31, 2005, 9:38 PM

Post #21 of 25 (4410 views)
Shortcut

no no.. you got me wrong...

the fetch command was not mixed up with peeing time..

also on sat. night i managed to trainned him to only poo near the drain!!!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!

i really dunno how he managed to learn so fast but this is what actually happens...

well.. we were playing around and he was running like a mad dog... then suddenly he stopped and sniff around.. and quickly he goes into the poo position and when i saw that.. immediately i stoped him and pushed him away... then he continue to sniff around for more spots.. i keep telling "no" until he reaches near the drain i said OK.. and walla!!!!!!! he did it there!

On sunday morning, when i realease him from his leash, immediately he runs off to pee and then near the drain and poo!!!!!!! wow!!!

this lil feller is darn smart... i love em....

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 31, 2005, 10:52 PM

Post #22 of 25 (4407 views)
Shortcut

ahaha.. i was just joking....

good tohear that your dog learn things fast... but after your dog poo at the right spot.. praise him or give him some treats as rewards...

thomstan
Canine Addict

Jan 31, 2005, 11:06 PM

Post #23 of 25 (4406 views)
Shortcut

oh yes i did.. Smile

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 31, 2005, 11:21 PM

Post #24 of 25 (4400 views)
Shortcut

ok ok... hehehe...

lapdog
Novice

Aug 17, 2005, 3:40 AM

Post #25 of 25 (3779 views)
Shortcut

It is never too young to start housetraining. At six weeks, he will not be vey good at it, but keep doing it, he will be catching on gradually.

Take him outside every hour and tell him to pee pee. When he does, praise him a lot. Keep him in a small area in the house, in a pen or gated in a room with no carpet. Dont let him start peeing all over the house when he is a pup or it will be hard to break him of it. Dont start letting him in the rest of the house until he is older and then only let him in one new room at a time. When he shows that he is not going to pee in the new room, then let him go in another room.

If he pees in the house, slap a table to make a loud noise, say NO and bring him outside. Clean all accidents well, use an enzyme cleaner. Sprays dont work. Order Natures Miracle or some other enzyme cleaner online.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my