growling...bathing n sleeping

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Dec 24, 2004, 9:00 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1832 views)
Shortcut
growling...bathing n sleeping Can't Post

My dashie..

I think she hates bathing..whenever i bath her..rub her body with shampooo she starts to growl..showing taring...sometime i even suffer frm bites..even when she is sleeping..i try to move her a lil she growls..and threaten to bite...other than this 2 she's fine...help..me need answers b4 i suffer several bites again..

~Eve~ Proud owner of 2 Cheeky & Bubbly Furbabies:- Daisy (Dashie) & Meeko (MS)

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 3, 2005, 6:05 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [my_dawg_daisy] growling...bathing n sleeping [In reply to] Can't Post

i think ur doggie has some dominance issue. i suggest you start slow with the bathing. as you pour shampoo on her, just give her a deep "NO" if she show her teeth, take ur hands away from her as she may bite you. but don't stop, continue putting shampoo after she stop showing teeth, when she show teeth, stop and resume. she has to know that she is going to get a bath whether she likes it not. also it could also be a fear from before. how old is your daschund? did you get him from a breeder or a friend? sometimes if being splashed with cold water can be traumatizing for a dog and he will remember this. if u r scared, use the end of your broom and tie with cloth as u rub shampoo on her. worst, buy a muzzle and bath her.

about the sleep, this is where training comes in. disturb her even when she is in deep sleep and she will get use to it. some ppl say this is cruel but i don't like tripping down by a dog in the middle of the night when i want to go to the bathroom. my pup has been sleeping with an open door crate and her favourite spot is next to my bed on the floor. when i want to get up, i will say "away" and she will scoot over so i can walk. and my dog is a golden retriever so imagine tripping on that! she may be in deep sleep but she will move over.

you can start this when she is relaxing, just lightly place your feet under her belly and push her aside and say "away". if she moves, praise and treat her. do this very gently so u won't hurt her. hope this helps!

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Jan 4, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] growling...bathing n sleeping [In reply to] Can't Post

Elloooo Kelsey,

Thanks alot for the tips...finally! someone reply...hehehe i bought her a muzzle,only put it on when she baths...she get so upset when she has it on...she start to give me tht manja and pooorthing face like i bullied her..aniweis tht has to be done lah if not i kena bites again...

she's five months now (jan 05') got it frm a breeder,without cert thou...but it was cheap..she's a good dog,very sticky to me (if ya noe wht i mean) last week i sent her to a petshop for bathing...then wen i pick her up i asked the owner if she barked or growl...or show taring when he baths her...he sed no..she was quiet and all...proly cus they are professionals la...maybe i did a couple of times wet her too quickly instead of slowly...hmmmm....thanks again yeah!

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 4, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1775 views)
Shortcut

well u know ur doggie more than the petshop. maybe they hit ur doggie when bathing, don't know also. put the muzzle only when u want to bath her ok.

it does seems like the hates to bath. so don't call her when you want to bath her, just pick her up put her in the tub and muzzle her then shower her. use warm water first, it maybe cause you splash with cold water and she don't like that. when she is bigger, you can splash her with cold water on a hot day. i know my GR pup is a water freak when it comes to a hot day, she is a water freak anytime you give the opportunity, sometimes headache also.Sly

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Jan 7, 2005, 9:08 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Bath her yesterday...slowly this time..with muzzle...not splashin at her..warm water..gentle touches...she stopped growling! but there's occasional running around in circles...hehehe

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2005, 1:48 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1733 views)
Shortcut

wah!!! so nice! good work, so maybe next time the muzzle can come off. so gentle touches win after all. sometimes u can also just let a basin outside your house, just the low one (since dashs very shortSly) and let her play with the water, this will instill her trust in water. i think there is a problem with water before or she hates cold water.

but good work she is no longer growling. keep us updated.

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2005, 10:42 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1728 views)
Shortcut

Kelsey..wht dogs do u own? wld be nice to know another dog owner..

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 8, 2005, 6:36 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1724 views)
Shortcut

hello eve

i have a 6 months golden retriever who has been staying with us in a condo. so there is a lot of work, dedication and a whole lot of crazy side of us.Cool

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Jan 9, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe i damn well know wht u mean...alot of work,and whole lotsa crazinesss..sometimes it really drives me nuts.Just got myself a dummies of daschund book...boy,tht is some stubborn specise i got here..yes,yes this teaches me to do some research of a dog b4 i purchase it..but i cant do nuts la...it was a gift.however i hold no regrets...where do u stay? going for k9 day tmrw..cant wait!!!!

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my