Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
My lab/collie is bitting hard!!!

Habs_fan
New User

Dec 22, 2004, 9:07 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3618 views)
Shortcut
My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! Can't Post

I got my lab/collie x back in april around easter. He is about 7-8 months old. While he was more of a puppy, he was manageable, and listened to our commands. Over the past 2 months how ever, he has become too aggresive to even take for walks. He pulls constantly on the leash, fights with oter dogs, and growls at passers-by. One night after a steak dinner, we gave him a bone. But, after giving it to him, and going even within 3 feet of him, he would growl and snap at me. We stopped giving him bones, but would sometimes give him some scraps, making sure to stay away from him. He is notorious for licking the plates in the dishwahser while we are loading it, but we always try to push him away before he can get his hands on anything. He is a persistent dog, not always listening to our commands. Most times, after telling him to do something more than 10 times, we start to yell out of frustration. This is a problem I know, but sometimes it just comes out. Tonight, I was loading the dishwasher, and of course, the dog came over and started licking the dishes. My 7 year old brother who is a bit smaller than average, came over to the kitchen and standing up, the dog jumped and, now my brother is waiting for stitches in emergency. The dog always seems to be more aggressive around my brother, but my brother is not an instigator. My parents are very pissed off, and ready to take the dog to the pound if we can't get this straightened out. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET MY DOG INLINE (he had been to obedience school a couple months ago) PLEASE HELP ME!!!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 23, 2004, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Habs_fan] My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

welcome to pre-teenager years.

he is testing your authority, also he has a possesiveness of some kind over the bone, it maybe instinct but next time still give him the bone and try removing it when a stick so u wont get bitten, if he tries to bite, then growled back with a "NO", take the bone away. repeat everyday until he gets it in his head.

about the dishwasher, he must have done it before. sounds like a habit to me. next time, have him in a sit stay position while he is looking at u loading the dishes. if you know he can'd do the "sit-stay", have someone hold him down in the sit stay position. load the dishes and talk to him if he just watches you, praise him, if he wants to go lick the plates, remove your attention from him or you can say a "NO". repeat.

in the mean time, leash ur dog at all time in the house, walk around the house with a leash as u would outside. once he is more ok, let ur brother hold the leash and walk him in the house. if u r tired of holding it, tie the leash at your side and pull him with you lor.

i hope this helps, it does sound like he is not socialize properly which may explain why he growls at passerby, aggressiveness is what the fighting and bad behaviour is all about. re-affirm your position in the house, i also think he forget what role is he playing in the pack - your family.

Chiayi
Novice

Jan 31, 2005, 6:41 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I hope ur parents arent that pissed anymore and wont take ur doggie to the pound.Frown

I personally think that ur doggie's behaviors were strengthen from lack of training from you eventhough u sent him to dog school cos i dun think a bond was forged strong enough between u and ur doggie. Shocked I think Kelsey is definately right about the teenager years that ur doggie is questioning ur authority. About the bone and table scrap, god dun feed him all that! Frown Human food and cooked bone are really bad for dogs. A very tiny small amount on special days like ur doggie's birthday is ok but not a daily basis. I think the whole dishwasher thing, he's just really greedy for food. About ur 7 yr old brother, well i think it's a an accident that ur dog jumped on him right? If not and if ur doggie has always been aggressive towards ur brother then it's a hierachy issue. Go to this site for help ok, it's really good and I hope it can help u about the behavior issue on ur doggie. Please persuade ur parents to not bring ur dog to the pound cos ur doggie will eventually be put down to sleep. Unsure

This is the website: http://www.pethealthcare.net/..._library_-_beha.html

I really hope this help though. Take care!

Lawrence and Johnathan says Gong Xi Fa Cai!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 31, 2005, 5:24 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3519 views)
Shortcut

hows ur lab/collie now? any improvement? it's been well over a month.

kk9375

Jun 17, 2005, 9:42 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hihi,i have almost same problem with kelsey as well..my 4months Golden wil growling when we go nearby him o oni passby him while he is having his meal...laz time when he was 2months old,he oledi like dat but we try to growl at him n say 'NO' n my bf even take away his bowl at dat time,then after dat,he's been ok for some times[more than a month]..but then now,he continue to behave like dat again...i really cant understand wat he want actually??? then my maid told me dat he wont behave like when she feed him his lunch,is dat mean d problem is on us [me,my bf n my mum]??but,we really dote on him lah..

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 17, 2005, 10:19 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kk9375] My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

With 4 months of age it is still a baby and you should start socializing him before he grows big and powerful.

Try to bond to your dog by giving training sessions, have playtime and joining in other family activities.

All members from your family should join to ensure that he learns (he is a puppy and needs to learn) that everyone is part of the “pack”.

To ensure that he knows that he has the lowest position in the “pack hierarchy” is of utmost importance for the safety of everyone.

EVERY DAY you should make him lay down, it is a submissive posture in the dog’s world. One should hold him down (at least in the beginning; for safety purpose hold with one hand his throat and with the other hand his shoulder) while the other one is looking in his mouth, lifting up one leg, looking into his eyes and ears and touch him everywhere (also good time to check for ticks, lumps and other problems).

He will learn that you are stronger, and no matter if he likes it or not, you will do what you like (alpha dog attitude). All of you should take turn doing that.

If he growls at you when you get close to his food then say firmly NO and take him away (on leash) and walk around for a few minutes. Return to his food bowl and hold him a few inches away from his food – say NO when he tries to get to his food. Once he obeys your order and is looking at you then you say OK (or whatever you have chosen) to release him and let him eat. Repeat until he accepts you as the leader and that means that you could take his food, even out of his mouth, whenever you like. This comes in very handy, in case he is chewing on something bad or dangerous.

You could make it a little bit more pleasant for him when you would drop some food into his bowl while he is eating. He will start loving your hand coming close to his bowl within a few days already.

gn
Novice

Jan 18, 2006, 6:52 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Read your advice with great hope as we have some challenges dealing with our 4 month female puppy rescued from PAWS 3 weeks ago.. She is lovable but has this biting problem. I don't know whether she thinks that greeting us every morning, when we come home etc with bites all over is her way of showing how much she loves us! At first the bites were gentle but now becoming painful. The only thing that stops her is a smack with a rolled up magazine. But I don't want to have to use the magazine every time. We try pushing her off, down, smacking the side of her snout..and yesterday I tried what you suggested...pushing her down on her side holding her throat and pressing her shoulder down etc-- she just struggled so much and tries to bite even more..( I think she panics..)

While she is very fierce and barks and growls at men ( except my husband whom she seems to adore and just rolls over for), she likes kids and ladies.She allows us to open her mouth for anything ( unless she has stolen a piece of apple which she loves..), we can examine her ears, file down her nails etc.

We are going to start Obedience classes with MKA after Chinese New Year...in the meantime, would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Gerry

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 18, 2006, 8:15 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gn] My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a dog’s world. You have to repeat that treatment every time he is challenging your position as the leader. If he does something wrong then say firmly NO. It should sound really disappointed and/or upset. He has to get the point that you, as the alpha dog, did not like it. He should obey that. If not, then grab his scuff and shake him (like a little shiver and say very seriously upset NO. He should obey that. If not, then you push him to his side and hold his throat while holding down his chest. In the wild, the alpha would stand on his chest and bite into the throat to make his point. We just simulate this action. You should do that while showing your disappointment and you have to wait until he surrenders, no matter how strong you have to hold or how long. Then you release him and you will notice that he is a little scared at first but very fast will show his affection again. It is a dog’s world.

gn
Novice

Jan 21, 2006, 8:54 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] My lab/collie is bitting hard!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advice... .. will keep trying!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my