Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Nail Cutting

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 6, 2002, 5:19 AM

Post #1 of 9 (3256 views)
Shortcut
Nail Cutting Can't Post

How often do you cut your doggie's nails? I was told that the moment you hear your doggie's feet have a clicking sound when they walk on cement or smooth surfaces, you should cut, well you see, I've checked her nails out and had them filed to her quick but she's still making that sound..Anyone??

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 6, 2002, 6:00 AM

Post #2 of 9 (3253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Nail Cutting [In reply to] Can't Post

As a thumb of rule, slight clicking sound is acceptable. When you said file, I doubt you did a proper job, and I am certain you did not do a proper job.
I will inseepeck your Holli's nail on Saturday and oso blink chopper along to trim nails for her if required.Unimpressed

Andrew

Mar 8, 2002, 12:47 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3244 views)
Shortcut

I have some problem in clipping my minpin's nail because of the nail color is black, I can't see her quick. I'm really scared every time I trim her nails.

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 10, 2002, 8:39 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Nail Cutting [In reply to] Can't Post

Andrew, here's something you can try..Before you cut your minpin's nails, you can make it slightly wet, perhaps use cotton wool/cloth soak in water and wipe her nails. The idea is to make her nails soft so it is easier to cut..and when you attempt to cut, just take a bit of at a time..

What I do is I hold the paw slightly tight so that the nail is sticking out and I cut of any nail jutting beyond the line of that paw pads..understand??

Really seems to help when nails are softer. Smile

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 3:56 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3201 views)
Shortcut

I heard that if you walk your dog a lot on tarmac there is not much need to clip their nails coz the hard surface files down their nails. I used to cut my pup's nails, but now she has started walking, i thought i should stop coz don't want it filing down beyond her quick and getting her sore...

my big dogs don't seem to have long nails and i have not clipped them in a while.

anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 12, 2002, 4:32 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Nail Cutting [In reply to] Can't Post

If your dog gets enough exercise, then her nails will not get too long. Jogging/Walking on the road will definitely file your dog's nails naturally Smile

-= Tisha =-

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 6:13 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Nail Cutting [In reply to] Can't Post

hi luckey,
i think what you said is true....i only cut nous nail once until today...he alway walk on the hard surface...he even file his nail on the hard surface himself......

regards
kangser and nous

weina
New User

May 3, 2006, 12:24 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2377 views)
Shortcut

My 6 mth old labrador REFUSES to let me or anyone cut her nails. It was ok when she was younger but since 4 mths of age, she struggles whenever we try and it takes 2 ppl to get it done. One to hold her down , one to cut.

Now she's getting bigger and stronger, so it's harder. When she sees me holding the nail clipper, she turns from a sweet darling to a biting angry mutt. Her previous cutting experiences were injury or blood-free, so I don't understand why she's so upset. We always give a her a nice treat after too, but she still gets angry whenever I try to cut her nails.

What can I do?

hweeeyee
Novice

May 6, 2006, 9:18 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weina] Nail Cutting [In reply to] Can't Post

hie weina, my 10mth old GR also having the same antics..she didnt get angry or anything..she just doesnt allow and roughly pushes us away! OUCH! she doesnt allow me to cut her slippers too..she lives indoor..and the floors are tiled..so she kept slipping off but still so stubborn dowan let me cut..

till now i still dont know how to cut her nail..and she also has another antic that is to rest her muzzle on the paw i intend to trim! VEry smart of her! haha.. dont know if i should be proud or what?!

to handle all these, i brought her to the vet..i dont know y is she so afraid of the vet..she listens to the vet! arghh...no respect for me! ish ish! hahaha
Schatzie, my beloved GR. Love needs no pedigree, but she melts my heart when i see her

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my