Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Cutting black nails

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Dec 17, 2004, 4:51 AM

Post #1 of 24 (3433 views)
Shortcut
Cutting black nails Can't Post

How deep shud i cut my dash's nails?its kinda hard to c when its black nails.

~Eve~ Proud owner of 2 Cheeky & Bubbly Furbabies:- Daisy (Dashie) & Meeko (MS)

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

JudyBeee
Novice

Dec 23, 2004, 1:46 AM

Post #2 of 24 (3396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [my_dawg_daisy] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

It's better you asked groomer to show you once 1st..

Really not recommend you do it yourself...it's painful if you cut it wrongly.

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2004, 8:56 AM

Post #3 of 24 (3377 views)
Shortcut

hi,

actually i did ask my vet before how deep should i cut my dog's nail too but she just said that cut little by little. she also can't predict where's the veins are. it's really hard to cut actually.

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Dec 28, 2004, 2:23 AM

Post #4 of 24 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thedogghouse] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm..I asked some vets..they say tht..black nails are the hardest to groom...aniweis.."they" sed everytime the pup's nailsgrow longer abit ...then cut...dun let it grow long long then only one time cut..cuz the the veins will grow longer with the nails ....

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2004, 4:27 AM

Post #5 of 24 (3350 views)
Shortcut

wah...it seems that it's really hard to cut. sometimes i forget to cut and leave it more than one week to cut. after cutting, even sharper her nails....and she likes to scratch us. so right now need to file her nails.

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 28, 2004, 5:20 AM

Post #6 of 24 (3347 views)
Shortcut

the blaack nails are really tough..so we leave it to shalom's groomer and in between we do file her nails too. but trying to file her nails is like going thru a war..so we take her walkies on the road instead...hehe..her nails come back nice and blunt!

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Dec 28, 2004, 9:28 AM

Post #7 of 24 (3344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie a_evie,

Take her for a walk??! hehehe tht might work..but ill rather stick to filing her nails ryte now.I try to do it when she's sleeping with her footsie's up in the air...hehehe slowly,quietly..hehehe..when she open her eyes a lil..i faster hide wht i wuz doin...haih,like jaga real baby like tht..i read ur profile,it says tht u have westie..how old is she ryte now?

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Dec 28, 2004, 9:34 AM

Post #8 of 24 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe hey i checked ur profile..see tht ur in puchong..which part? me in puchong too!

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2004, 12:45 AM

Post #9 of 24 (3323 views)
Shortcut

colby is close to 10. staying with his daddy.

file shalom's nails when she sleeps? impossible. she'll wake up and then sleep elsewhere!

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2004, 4:43 AM

Post #10 of 24 (3309 views)
Shortcut

walk on the road is a good idea but then i don't let my dog go out cos of ticks. now she got ticks and it's so hard to get rid of it. a big trouble.

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2004, 4:50 AM

Post #11 of 24 (3308 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i stay at taman mawar. i not sure whether u know the place or not. how bout u?

wais81
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2004, 9:27 AM

Post #12 of 24 (3303 views)
Shortcut

hello,

sorry to interrupt, well if u r afraid to let her out because of ticks then before u go out with her you should spray her legs with an anti-ticks spray, frontline has this kind of spray. it should keep the dogs from getting any fleas when going for its walks. as for cutting black nails you should cut bit by bit first, get ready a blood stopper incase u cut her veins. cut bit by bit until u see her veins then stop. use the blood stopper if needed.. hope this helps, walking is an alternative to cutting and filing.

Christopher

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2004, 6:17 AM

Post #13 of 24 (3287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

thanks for the advise. now my dog having ticks and i'm so worry cos i don't know how to get rid of it completely. going to buy frontline soon. but it's the best way to don't let her go out of the house. there is a dog near my house always wandering around. i suspected the dog's ticks jump over to my dog's body. now i'm trying to cut bit by bit. i don't dare to cut until so short. although if i cut her veins, i scare that in future she doesn't let me to cut her nails again. i'm doing cutting and filing now. Laugh

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2004, 12:15 AM

Post #14 of 24 (3262 views)
Shortcut

frontline is a good idea...

alternative let her wear a tick collar when she goes walkies.

on shalom, we use 5 drops of tea tree oil in her final rinse. basically she soaks in the bathtub with her water and tea tree oil...and yeah..does her doggie paddle from one end of the tub to the other!

JudyBeee
Novice

Jan 1, 2005, 1:18 AM

Post #15 of 24 (3249 views)
Shortcut

come to talk about tick problem.....

I have tried to prevent it with many way...it is hard when tick spread around the house...they will come back again after few weeks...

Now i have to bath my dog with tick solutions everytime, which is not a good idea as it makes the skin dry and sensitive...Unsure

Heard about the Frontline brand is good....is it good enough to kill all ticks in my house?

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2005, 9:08 PM

Post #16 of 24 (3233 views)
Shortcut

i heard that tick collar only able to prevent the body near the neck part. it can't prevent the whole body. a lot of people did recommend the tick collar but is it really that effective?

my dog can't bath in the bathtub or pail or etc. she will definitely jumps around and doesn't stand there steadily.

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2005, 9:18 PM

Post #17 of 24 (3232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

seriously if you want to kill some of the ticks, you have to notice it when your dog is sleeping. the ticks will come out and walking around the body and floor. my MS is black and i can't take out the ticks from her body. so basically i haven't get the frontline yet but last time i used for my another dog it's really effective. right now i'm using something like kill ticks. petshops don't sell it openly. you have to ask them from the counter. maybe it's illegal or something but it's a good liquid. it's not a shampoo. it's a liquid that you mix with water then rinse your dog after bath.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 1, 2005, 11:42 PM

Post #18 of 24 (3229 views)
Shortcut

thedogghouse~

i dont think the tick collar is good 2 use as it wont kill all of the ticks. i prefer use those type which drop on the back of dog, then all ticks will drop itself.

Chen Yang

Regards,

Yang

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2005, 8:43 PM

Post #19 of 24 (3226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

the one that you said is it frontline? cos frontline got one of it is put a few drops at the back of the dog not the spray type. but if you use that one, the ticks will die or not. cos no use that the put on it and the ticks just drop out. sooner the later the ticks will come back to the body.

JudyBeee
Novice

Jan 3, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #20 of 24 (3217 views)
Shortcut

The one that petshop recommend is without any branding, which is good enough to get rib of most of the ticks in dog's body. But they will come back if the smell is gone..

and i even heard that a tick can live more than 6 months even without depending on dog's body. Not only that, their breeding cycle is very fast,eggs can easily spread around tthe body... Just imagine...if we dont act it fast, the consequences will be very bad...

thedogghouse
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2005, 5:08 AM

Post #21 of 24 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

it's true that we have to act fast if not sure will getting more and more. the liquid without branding i think it's the best. cos it really get rid the ticks. although the smell is gone but at least it can last around two to three days. the petshop also recommended me to bath my dog at least twice a week to get rid the ticks. like what u said, breeding cycle is very fast.

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 10, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #22 of 24 (3154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee, thedogghouse] Cutting black nails [In reply to] Can't Post

use frontline on the furkid...it shd be good enough after 1 or 2 sessions. but you must also remember to keep the surrounding areas tick or flea free.

i see some of you trying the solution. i assume that's the solution you add into the final rinse. that's actually quite drying if it is the one that turns a little white when it comes in contact with water. but that solution is good and cheap idea for splashing around the house to rid of ticks and fleas..much cheaper than frontline but works just as well. the only reason why i don;t use it is that i hate the smell a lot...and it does not help that whenever i come in contact with that solution i'll have problems breathing...so we resorted to frontline all over the house.

if kiddo can't stay in bathtub or pail...just pour the tea tree oil mixed with water all over kiddo as the final rinse...that will help too...and if possible soak only the feet in the water (let them walk into the scoop). reason is that sometimes fleas love to hide in btw the 'toes' coz it is not so accesibble for us "flea / tick pickers".

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Jan 21, 2005, 9:30 AM

Post #23 of 24 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Heyyyyy..

Sorrie for the late reply..i also lupa i posted here..ehehe im just above u,puchong jaya part jln belatuk...ehehe me also getting ms soon..maybe we can mix our furkid new time..

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

bettynnf
Novice

Mar 12, 2005, 10:09 PM

Post #24 of 24 (2893 views)
Shortcut

Hello...

Just cut 2mm - 3mm will do!!!

Hope can meet you and your dogs!!!

I have Dachshund too !!!

See ya!!1

cheers.. Betty

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my