Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 5, 2002, 7:22 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2092 views)
Shortcut
HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL Can't Post

Let us go back to basic and begin an educational programme for our members on puppy ownership.
By this I mean the following:-
(1) When should you have a puppy? when you are ready for it or upon impulse?
(2) Where should you purchase the puppy? Direct from a breeder, from petshops, SPCA/PAWS, puppy-traders or picked it up from the monsoon drain?
(3) What breed, size and purposes do you have in mind? An elephant in a chicken coop, a dog that is so ferocious it is beyond your control or one that is so friendly, it welcomes burglars with open arms?

I have the answers, but lets hear from members their views and suggestions before I offer my 2sens worth of comments.

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 5, 2002, 10:39 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL [In reply to] Can't Post

In such a short time I hv managed to pick up and learn quite a number of stuff frm this forum itself and also frm a lot of surfing I hv done lately on dogs and puppies. Perhaps I may try and relate some of your questions above to my current situation.
  1. I think a person shd never buy a puppy on impulse especially if u see one staring at you with its eyes and wagging its tiny tail at u as though to say "take me home Im so extremely cute!". Instead, one shd ask his/her self why he/she wants to own a dog, is it for working purpose or solely for companionship. Before getting one, its best to hv at least some basic knowledge of taking care of a dog and how to give it a healthy and loving lifestyle.
  2. Frm what I hv gathered so far, u shd always buy a puppy frm a breeder so that you know the pedigree and medical history of the pup that youre going to be responsible on. For me I did not think about this for my past dog experience was one given by neighbours who has had great experiences with dogs and breeding so I knew that the dog was alright. Back then Ive never even heard of the word "puppy mill". In fact only after I visited this site that I learn what puppy mills are and where most pet shops get their puppies frm. By then, I hv already bought my puppy frm a pet shop. Which brings me to my next point. Ive been having this nagging feeling and feeling of fear ever since the knowledge of how a puppy bought frm pet shops may turn out in terms of temperament and health. The more I read about it the more the feeling of fear that my puppy may suffer frm serious hereditary illness that I wont know about because I do not know the history of its pedigree. I can only give the best care to my pup and pray that he will turn out alright.
  3. As to what breed, size and purpose, one shd evaluate his/her lifestyle, whether the owner has time to devote full time to his/her dog or is the dog going to be left at home while they are off to work. The size of the house also matters whether its an apartment or a big house where the dog can hv freedom to romp around. If one does not hv time to take the dog out for its daily exercise then get a dog which do not require a lot of exercise.

Those are just my point of view, of course I cud be wrong so any input frm any members will be great. By the way, my puppy just learned how to sit last nite. Instead of jumping up at me begging for food, he can now sit quietly till I give him his food YAY! Sly And half the time he can find his way to the bathroom to do his biz...double YAY for progress SlySly

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 6, 2002, 1:34 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL [In reply to] Can't Post

Very goot!!Smile
Wait till I give you the rest of the answers, You will know How much that puppy in the window is going to cost.

saphian
Novice

Mar 8, 2002, 9:58 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Derrickok, remember me? I am that senior citizen living in far-off Langkawi who wanted a puppy as a companion in his retirement? Well, I finally found one that I simply adore..its a blue roan English Cocker Spaniel! It took me almost 6 months in my search including seeking advice from this forum 3 months ago. The puppy was deliverd by air to me today from a breeder in KL. I am glad that I waited and waited until the right one comes along...!

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 8, 2002, 4:21 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [saphian] HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure I remember you Saphian. How's retired life in Langkawi? Walking your spaniad -boyfriend or girlfriend-? on the beach in the mornings and evenings?
I am so glad for you that you have found a puppy of your choice to keep you occupied and share you retirement. By the way, I have sold a couple of Dalmatians to your island too. He is a tour guide by the name of Lim Tel:012-3326606. If you want to know more about me, call him up as we are goot friends.
Can I ask a couple of questions?
Who is the breeder of this Cocker? Is it Hew, Cheam or Sandra?
How old is it now?
Since now you have a puppy, I am sure that from time to time you will be seeking advice from this forum in bringing up puppy on training, feeding,house breaking, exercise, and all related topics on doggie.
May I suggest, that you take time to visit the Members' introduction area, and post a brief introduction message there so that other members could interact with you better and those member who joined after you realised that Saphian managed to find what he wanted thro this forum.
Your cooperation is very much appreciated.
Are you a school teacher before your retirement? If so, perhaps you could also teach me grammer and Ingrish as I am hopeless in this subject.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 8, 2002, 6:35 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2042 views)
Shortcut

Hi Saphain, great news on Ash..Smile He must be a cutie pie..has he been naughty??Tongue

.. )) -::-
. ))
((. .. -::- Rainbow -::-
-::- ((.*

saphian
Novice

Mar 9, 2002, 9:24 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2030 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Derrickok & Rainbow for your kind words of welcome. The puppy is male and is about 12 weeks old and I have been told not to expose him outside too much until he's had his third vaccination in one and a half week's time. This is my first dog ever, but I have a good friend in Langkawi (who also owns an English Cocker Spaniel) who is giving me good guidance on how to handle the puppy. Needless to say the first night was a sleepless one, as I was woken 3 times by the whining and barking from the puppy while in its crate. He actually wanted to go out of his "den" and do his poo & wee! Good thing I believed him!

The breeder of the cocker spaniel is Susan and she has been very professional and caring in closing the deal, and I could not have asked for a better person (present company excepted!) to complete the transaction with.

As far as I know, there are only 2 families that have Dalmations in Langkawi. One is Lim and the other Tan. I know both of them!

I must say that I have learnt a great deal about our K9 friends just by reading the postings in this forum and I know of no other forum on the subject that is as friendly as this!

Hmmm....me a retired school teacher? No sir, I was never in that noble profession but just a salaried worker in the duty free business and now dabble a bit in boat charters!

Andrew

Mar 9, 2002, 9:45 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [saphian] HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW? THE ONE WITH A WAGGLING TAIL [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Saphian,

It is sure this forum will give a lot of info about our K9 friend not only to you but to every one here.
Mmm...We are learning from each other...
So you don't need to doubt about this forum because we got an experience "Old Dog" here Tongue. I hope you now who I'm refering too.

So enjoy yourself...

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2002, 7:02 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Hello Saphian,

Nice to meet you in the forum.
I hope your doggie will be your good companion. People like you that staying in Langkawi must have chances to let your dog running along the beach and playing around there? Wah, it will be nice to do that ... Laugh

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my