When Should I start to train my puppy ?

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 28, 2003, 6:49 AM

Post #1 of 6 (915 views)
Shortcut
When Should I start to train my puppy ? Can't Post

Hi !

My 'mocha' is now abt 8 1/2 weeks old and the thing is I dunno when should I start to train her to 'sit', "lie down" and etc...?

She still have yet to master the pee and poo thingy. I have tried to teach her to 'sit' with some biscuit treat but somehow she will sniff @ my hand and jump all over just to try and get the biscuit instead of concerntrating on my command. UnsureWhat shall i do ??? Crazy

cheers,
minglmy

wkser
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #2 of 6 (906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] When Should I start to train my puppy ? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ,
you can train your mocha now .......you should start from basic training like sit ,down and stay......and dun forget to train mocha toilet training.......just be patience you will be able to do it......Smile

regards
kangser and nous

chinjoon
Novice

Mar 1, 2003, 6:28 PM

Post #3 of 6 (884 views)
Shortcut

hi minglmy,

To get a more clear picture of how to train your dog for basic obedience training i think you should get books from pet shops or through amazon bookstore on the net. They will explain details of and how to train your dog if ur r a beginner.

In Reply To

cyphang
Canine Addict

Mar 1, 2003, 10:59 PM

Post #4 of 6 (881 views)
Shortcut

One tip that worked for my Sunnie -- train your dog the command "sit" when he's really hungry.

Use his favourite food (while he's really hungry). Let him see the food. Hold it in your hands above your dog's eye level until he automatically sits (due to natural instinct). Keep saying the command 'sit' whenever he sits while looking at the food. Only give him the food when he responds positively to the command. Otherwise don't give it to him.

Repeat as often as possible.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 2, 2003, 6:03 AM

Post #5 of 6 (879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] When Should I start to train my puppy ? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Cyphang,

Thanks for the advise.... wow, you got great ideas. I will definitely give it a try. Smile

Cheers !

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2003, 8:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (872 views)
Shortcut

You may try STAY, DOWN command after you have successfully dealt with SIT command... always uses food to control.. it always works.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my