Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 15, 2005, 5:21 AM

Post #26 of 48 (4111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for your advice... I guess all these I did before like spend more time with her and all but still she fights... She only afraid of my husband... But at times he still did not manage to stop it in time... I did the same thing he did but guess she is not afraid of me... When they start the fight not even my husband can stop it.. We have to pull the new female away from the toerh female to stop the fight but very dangeroud position we are at.. We might ge biten too... And now the other female fights back so it is really crazy here... Even I get to pull the new female away, the other female came charging on her and not let go but luckily firmly scold her few times she would let go unlike the new female... I find myslef very tire to tolerate with this and been doing it almost 1 year.. Everyday I am afraid they will fight... I hate it when those inlaw have to stay in the house and will not able to do anything when they fight.. They normaly fight when people around... You think I should give her up to a owner without any dogs? Maybe she can get all the attention she wants? But I know I will be very sad to give her up... If not I already given her up ealrier right? Sigh... Thanks so much for tryng to help me :) Really appreciated.. By the way the pic in the avatar is your dog? Fiona

(This post was edited by vicfion on Sep 15, 2005, 5:25 AM)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 15, 2005, 7:27 PM

Post #27 of 48 (4102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vicfion] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that is my little barbarian in the avatar. LaughYour doggie does not need to be scared but you might have to clarify your position as the alpha to her. Normally, it comes with the grooming, massage, turning around and touching everywhere and most importantly with the control over the food & toys. I use the latter to get it my way. Most dogs will try to please, just to get what they want most. So, it works for both. The key to success is repetition, consistency, patience and stubbornness.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 15, 2005, 7:59 PM

Post #28 of 48 (4098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

We normally just pull them away and lock the new female in the cage.. Today had another fight... I lock her in the cage for little while.. The moment I let her go she fights again and now back to the cage.. Sigh.. I feel sad to lock her in.. But no choice... Food yet have problem... Hope never...I even have them eat side by side and lukily no problem... Toys.. so far so good... My husband abl to control her.. Once he left she will fights... I did what he did but none able to control her... Sigh.. Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 15, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #29 of 48 (4089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vicfion] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Fiona, I guess that you are softhearted and your dogs know that they can ignore your command. To handle dogs, it is of utmost importance to be consistent it what is accepted and what not, in being patience to the extreme and to accept the fact that loosing temper does not achieve anything, in stubbornly insisting to comply to any given command and last but not least TLC. Body posture is part of a dog’s language; hence, we have to control our posture to ensure the right message is given.
I would not cage the dog but would force the lower ranking dog into the down position or even the full submissive position with belly exposed, and the higher ranking dog gets the chance to be introduced again.
I guess that the only way to stop them from fighting is that you decide on the hierarchy and enforce it consequently.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 15, 2005, 8:50 PM

Post #30 of 48 (4080 views)
Shortcut

I guess I am panic more then loosing a temper... Gosh seeing blood everywhere can make me fainth.. The problem when they start they won't hear command.. Very fast. .One second they are in.. Sob sob... Someone just called me to suggest something. .I will do everything include your advece and see what happens... Wish I do not have to give her up.... Coz putting in cage also unfair to her.. If give her up worst, more unfair to her... Sigh... Thanks for helping me yeah... Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 15, 2005, 9:15 PM

Post #31 of 48 (4076 views)
Shortcut

It is certainly not a good sight and/or experience. I might have the advantage of a solid loud voice and when I do yell then the dog is flat on the floor immediately. He knows that is the moment I really mean business. Try to feel your anger about that fighting and bring it to your voice, body posture and face. Let them know that you are upset. Push them into the most submissive position and hold them this way for a couple of minutes. Soon they will realize that you are the boss and that you will not tolerate any wrong doing.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 16, 2005, 4:02 AM

Post #32 of 48 (4070 views)
Shortcut

I will try my hardest.. Thanks so much for advicing me.. I sure hope that I do not have to give her up.. Thanks again. Keep in touch.. By the way, your dog handsome la... Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 19, 2005, 8:26 PM

Post #33 of 48 (4046 views)
Shortcut

YES, she is a very pretty one and she knows it.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 20, 2005, 4:21 AM

Post #34 of 48 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Oops she is a she.. Sorry... By the way my female still fights and make it worst my other female bite my daughter again... Twice... She accidently fell into her and she bite her... I am going crazy here... Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 20, 2005, 5:26 PM

Post #35 of 48 (4032 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear that. Please read all the posting again. I can assure you that when you, your daughters and all of your family members follow the advise then within a month the dogs will be well behaved. You have to make sure that at least your daughters socialize & condition the dog. Make sure the dog is in his most submissive position and to keep it safe for your daughters hold his throat with one hand (so he can’t bite). Let your daughters touch his belly, checking the ears, the eyes, the mouth, lifting the legs, groom a little, etc. Finish the session with your daughters giving the command to sit (or any other command you wish them to practice) and then they will praise and give a small treat to him. Little effort, but great results.Good Luck.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 20, 2005, 5:49 PM

Post #36 of 48 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Thanks... The female looks like the most tame one... My kids are always around them no problem... They allows them to touch them and play with them.. The new female even allows the kids to sleep on her... This female allows too butwould attack when she get irratated... My daughter fell onto her and she would bite... But other times she just allow them to plya with her... She goes to my kids too... She even bite one of my puppies and left her lost an eye.. Fromm all the dogs she was the one who we can never imagine or expected... Sigh... Guess too many dogs around the kids really dangerous? Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 20, 2005, 6:21 PM

Post #37 of 48 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Nope, not really. The problem is that kids (and sometimes adults too) are doing things that gives a dog the higher position during play or while they napping or eating together. It might not be a problem with many dogs, but once in a while you have one little doggie, which takes the hierarchy serious enough to start challenging the weaker members in the hierarchy (normally the kids). The one way I know to ensure that the dog knows his place and never even thinks to challenge anyone from my family, is as I stated earlier to you.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2005, 1:39 AM

Post #38 of 48 (4014 views)
Shortcut

I am not sure.. But at that time when she biten my daugher, we did not have this new female... So I really don't know if one more dog that threaten her or what.... Thanks for your advice again :) Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 21, 2005, 5:46 PM

Post #39 of 48 (4006 views)
Shortcut

Dear Fiona, your dogs think that your family is his pack and your house is the den – keep in mind that they do not differentiate between human members and animal members of the pack. It is up to you to make sure that all humans have a higher rank in the pack, with you (or your husband) as the alpha. All dogs should be the lowest rank in the pack. They have to know that and they should feel so low ranking (compared to any human family member) that they never think of challenging anyone’s position within the hierarchy. To bite is some sort of a challenge already - at least disrespect to a higher ranking pack member.As I said earlier, it might not be needed to follow those simple rules so strictly, but it is good to know how to enforce them, in the event that a dog shows some signs of brewing trouble.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 22, 2005, 6:47 AM

Post #40 of 48 (3996 views)
Shortcut

I guess so.. They are indoor dogs... We all like a family... Anyway, sound hard to do "la".. My dog only scare of hubby.. But of course there are times they are afraid of me.... Thanks so much yeah for chatting wiith me about my problem... I am tire of all these going on also but if you asked me to give away, I also so upset, don't know what to do... Sigh.. Fiona

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 22, 2005, 5:50 PM

Post #41 of 48 (3992 views)
Shortcut

You are mostly welcome. It might sound a little tough, but it is not. As I said before, you do not need to do it daily but keep it in mind, in case one dog is getting more then a handful. Ask your daughters to take over this task, more like a play, but also to learn to check for wounds, ticks, knots, etc.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 23, 2005, 3:14 AM

Post #42 of 48 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Thanks will surely do.. But my girls have been playing with them and help to shower the dog "lo"... I will keep in mind... Keep in touch.. Fiona

Labluver
New User

Sep 26, 2005, 7:25 PM

Post #43 of 48 (3968 views)
Shortcut

Its hilarious because my puppy lab is very scared of other dogs...

He is more playfull than anything else!
Free 30 Minute Audio Reveals Shocking Little-Known Facts From a Master Dog Trainer That Will Teach You Step By Step How To Make Sure Your New Puppy Feels Happy, Healthy and Loved While Preparing Him For Good Behaviors And A Solid Foundation For Training

Go Here For Your Free Copy Of This 30 Minute Audio Here: http://www.dogtrainingsecrets.org

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 28, 2005, 3:10 AM

Post #44 of 48 (3959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Labluver] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my Cocker scare of humans except us his family.. No one able to taouch him except us... Other dogs beside dogs staying with him? I think he is a little scare too.. Not sure... Fiona

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 20, 2005, 3:43 AM

Post #45 of 48 (3874 views)
Shortcut

JoeSmith

Read through every single posting here & it is very informative for me.

Although i didnt face such a problem currently but i think i might be useful as i plan to own more than 1 dog.

Just a question, last time i used to have many dogs at home. The 1 in my avatar is always the alpha but there is another dog which is weakest in the hierarchy, always surrender to others.

But the thing is this Alpha dog is aggressive. (He even bitten a cat to death!) He didnt bite the lowest ranked dog though but still rough enough to cause some "teething scratches" at the nose/mouth of the lower ranked dog.

Is this normal? What can I do if i ever faced such a problem again? I mean they know their position but the Alpha is too rough to show his superiority.

Thanks for ur advice. Was wondering u get to know all these knowledge mainly through experience or reading? I bet it is both right?

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 20, 2005, 6:15 PM

Post #46 of 48 (3865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

YES, you won the bet.
Your alpha dog seems a little tense over the attention you pay to other members. Please remember, he might be the highest ranking dog, but YOU are the alpha of the pack. You have to interfere immediately when things getting rough and a clear NO should do it. Offer some alternative to release tension, e.g. biting/chewing toys/bones are good for this purpose. Special treatment for your alpha dog (if you feel that he deserves that) with special exercise is another option.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2005, 8:16 AM

Post #47 of 48 (3844 views)
Shortcut

JoeSmith

hmm... true also, i think it is due to i always punish the Alpha dog when he bully, then go sayang the dog which get the bully, maybe this makes the alpha jealous or tention.. Pirate

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 25, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #48 of 48 (3831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] guess i am not alone here....my dogs fight [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, you made it worst.
The lower ranking dog gets the lift of his lifetime from you and the higher ranking dog gets demoted. Not a good idea.
Just say NO and do something completely different. You want to stop the fight, but not changing anything in the hierarchy, right? To do something different takes out the tension and reduces the fight to a small misbehavior, nothing worth to remember (for your dog) BUT remembers to obey the command AND gets something else to do to release tension (without realizing it)..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my