Shortcut
Where Dog Swiming Can't Post

Where to bring Dog for Swiming?

Bailey

Dec 7, 2004, 8:37 PM

Post #2 of 25 (3929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tracky] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

I brought my dog to the beach just after Avillion Hotel, Port Dickson (if you are coming from KL) as it is pretty deserted. I normally go to that beach for wind surfing as there is a wind surfing club. Although the owners of the windsurfing club are Muslims (husband is Malay and wife is German), they are very nice folks and they gave Bailey a warm welcome. The wife is a true animal lover as she will feed strays, take care of them etc. I even unleash Bailey to run about freely. Do not go to the beach that is immediately before Avillion Hotel as it is full of people every Sunday.

But I am not sure whether the owners would allow any Tom Dick and Harry to bring their dogs and use the facilities to their place. The reason is because a majority of Malaysian have no civic consciousness and absolutely no respect for other people's property. I have seen with my own eyes people using their piped water to clean up/shower and refusing to pay them 50 sen as a token fee (even though there is a sign), throwing rubbish everywhere and basically not respecting them as owners.

But if you do not intend to use any of their facilities, I don't see how anyone can stop you from bringing your furkid for a swim. At low tide, you can walk a short distance to an island just across the beach do a short walk around the island.

Puppy Power

Bailey

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

tracky
Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2004, 9:13 PM

Post #3 of 25 (3922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bailey] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

ya

u r rite...

Malaysian never take care of environment....

e.g.

1. Rubbish every where...

(sometime very hard 2 find a place 2 throw rubbish too)

2. Like to burn anything..

as wat u said... the sea is full with rubbish...but no body take action...

half-way swim... u will meet some drinking can, plastic bag, etc...

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 7, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #4 of 25 (3921 views)
Shortcut

Other than the beach, any other place in KL where we can bring our dogs for a swim? My GR likes to play with water. He likes to put his two little paws in his water bowl and also moves his water bowl around till the water spills out.

I'm planning to get him those pool which is for kids to play in. But he wont be able to swim in it as it is very shallow only.

midnite_lily
Novice

Dec 8, 2004, 12:15 AM

Post #5 of 25 (3907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michelleteh] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

see if u got friends with a pool @ home maybe? ^__~

how old is your GR? if he's still a puppy, you can get the wading pool from the hypermarkets. the 15'inch high ones. i got a 10inch high one for my ECS.

i don't know anywhere in KL that allows dogs to swim. i tried asking my friend in Mines Beach Resort, but i don't think a mining pool is safe for a beginner.

i also took my dog to a beach, in Morib. we found a quiet spot about 6km south from the public beach. the beach is secluded and belongs to a chinese restaurant called Romantic Beach Restaurant. don't expect much from the muddy Malacca Straits, but it's a nice beach for dogs to wade in. cos it's very shallow up to 1km from the shore!

Smile

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 8, 2004, 5:39 PM

Post #6 of 25 (3891 views)
Shortcut

michelle,

it's not very advisable to get the children wading pool as it's made of rubber and easily one paw scratch the thing sure burst. see if u can find those hard plastic pool.

if still can't u can check out the gundog thread or one of the outing section on the forum, they sometimes bring their dogs for swim at waterfall.

at 3 months (ur pup), it may be too much to handle, cause very naughty. if u have a basin at home, those cheap ones, just fill it with water and out in the garden, see your pup go craxy splashing water around and trying to get in. effect will be most entertaining especially after a long walk or on a warm sunny day where they are the hottest!:)

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2004, 8:37 PM

Post #7 of 25 (3875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [midnite_lily] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to Morib once. Long time ago, still a kid then. Not sure how to go there anymore. How far is it if I'm using the KLIA route from Subang.

Well, my GR is 3+ months. But according to Kelsey, those rubber wading pools will burst easily so I have to figure out an alternative.

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2004, 8:46 PM

Post #8 of 25 (3874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, kelsey. Hmmm.... never thought of it before, that the paws will easily scratch and burst the rubber. OK. I'll try to look for those plastic basin. Hope I can find a big big one.

I'm not sure whether the waterfall is a good place to bring dogs. Those nearest to my place is around Templers Park and they are usually pack with Malays.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 8, 2004, 9:23 PM

Post #9 of 25 (3870 views)
Shortcut

michelle,

seeing how my GR (who is 5 months) trying to "scoop" the water out of the plastic basin, i know she will burst the wading pool easily. u don't have to get a great big one, if u go to carrefour, you can find those plastic rectangular storage box and just for your GR to soak and cool down, and when the doggie is big already, then u can use the storage box to keep turtles or something else lah.

normally, when i got for long walks on weekends morning, my GR will pant like crazy, cause very hot. so when we get home, i will fill in the basin with water and she will first play with it, and then 2 front paws go in the basin, then 3rd hind legs and then the 4th hind legs and then she will sit in the water..so cute and she will lower her body to soak. i have to close the balcony door if not, she will play "water ski" on my living room floor.

also if u have a bath tub at home, it's also good to fill it just until his ankles and let him play. when i give my puppy a bath, i will fill the tub, and then let her go crazy first, then shower...she is definetely water freak.

just make sure if ur pup play in the rain or after playing with water, dry him completely, don't want to get sick and some parasite thrive on moist area of a dog.

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2004, 7:42 PM

Post #10 of 25 (3843 views)
Shortcut

Okay. I'll do that.

Currently I'm using a rectangular basin to put his toys inside. Sometimes he will sit in it when chewing his toys. It's quite small for his size now. He will have to curl his body in it. But it'll do for the time being. Just to play scoop is okay lah....

Ehhh... your GR play water ski ah.... so cute lah.....

BTW, do you stuff her ears with cotton when she is playing/soaking in water?

midnite_lily
Novice

Dec 9, 2004, 8:49 PM

Post #11 of 25 (3835 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I've been to Morib once. Long time ago, still a kid then. Not sure how to go there anymore. How far is it if I'm using the KLIA route from Subang.

Well, my GR is 3+ months. But according to Kelsey, those rubber wading pools will burst easily so I have to figure out an alternative.

Take the North-South Expressway from Subang towards KLIA exit, then follow the signboards to Dengkil. This road is the one that leads you towards the F1 circuit, but at the round about take the 9o'clock turn. Basically, follow the road signs towards Dengkil-Banting-Morib. You will be able to find some signs that says Pantai Morib from Banting. But I missed two turns because there was only signs in the opposite direction. It won't be that hard.

If you take this route, it shouldn't take you more than 1hr30mins. Worse case scenario, 2 hours. Don't forget to make stops for your GR to pee! ^__~

My wading pool isn't the rubber sides, its the one where you fill up and the walls erect cos of the water. But i think your GR will grow out of it. So, it's a waste for bigger dogs.

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2004, 9:28 PM

Post #12 of 25 (3831 views)
Shortcut

u see my avatar, that is her favourite place when it's hot in KL, her blue basin..haha well when she is wet, she like to sit in front of the fan and then rub her body on the floor, sometimes she run and then skid and do it again. ya so funny. so the last time we made a mistake by asking her to come in, later have to mop the house.

nowadays we will monitor her when she play with water. also whenever i clean my balcony, she cannot see the tap water being turned on, she will sure get under the tap and try to catch the water in her mouth.

no, i don't stuff her ears when she is playing with water, cause if the thing get into her ear even more problem, we clean her ears every week and also put antibiotic and she has no ear odor, so i think her ears is clean.

michelleteh
Dog Kichi

Dec 10, 2004, 1:50 AM

Post #13 of 25 (3820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [midnite_lily] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

1 1/2 to 2 hours? So far? But thanks anyway. Appreciates that. I need to find driver first. Tongue

Bailey

Dec 10, 2004, 1:57 AM

Post #14 of 25 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Hi Michelle,

I brought my dog to Templer's Park during the Hari Raya holidays and she had so much fun wading in the little stream. I did not bump into any Malays as I was there early at 8am and I left by 9am. Make sure you go early if you want to avoid Malays. But most importantly, ensure Baskin has at least his second jab before you bring him out.

Have fun!

Puppy Power

Bailey

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

tracky
Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2004, 5:46 PM

Post #15 of 25 (3775 views)
Shortcut

i think very hard to find a natural place that many chinese...

if i got $$$ 1 day i will open a park for pet owner!

with restaurant, walking park, pet swiming pool, human swiming pool,

pet library, pet saloon...

huh...maybe we called it "Pet Club"

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jan 31, 2005, 7:54 PM

Post #16 of 25 (3619 views)
Shortcut

bailey,

i hope u get this in time.. i wanted to bring my dog tomorrow to PD(KL public holiday mah) u mentioned after avillion hotel..still can bring our dogs for swim there? we plan to go early lah...and leave PD by afternoon.

thanks!

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Feb 1, 2005, 12:48 AM

Post #17 of 25 (3607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tracky] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

ya good idea maybe we can work together to make this come true...
it so hard for my bobby to enjoy life outside without distub others...

sad :(

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

Bailey

Feb 1, 2005, 1:45 AM

Post #18 of 25 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

The place after Avillion was never really a designated public beach because the beach only appeared a few months ago due to land reclamation . But it is accessible by the public and the entire beach stretches for at least 2 km. It is normally very quiet even on the weekends- more so for tomorrow.

I normally go there to windsurf at the local windsurfing club which is located on that beach (about 5oom) from Avillion and they allow me to bring my dog there and use their facilities.

I doubt you will have any problems there. Hope you have fun.

Puppy Power

Bailey

tracky
Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2005, 5:59 AM

Post #19 of 25 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Pls put a "Dog Swiming Area" signboard there

Bailey

Feb 2, 2005, 5:50 PM

Post #20 of 25 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kelsey,

Did you find the swimming place for Roxy?

Puppy Power

Bailey

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 3, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #21 of 25 (3530 views)
Shortcut

yes we brought her there. it was clean, we reached there at 8.30am so it wsa quiet. the water was cooling, the sun just came out from a cloudy day. it was perfect. but wish the beach was redang or something. the beach is not bad just not too clear lah.

roxy did a few stunts and showed to us. she is a natural born swimmer. such a strong swimmer and she know this and she showed us her rescue skills. got the hubby to pretend to be drowning. my girl was with me on shore. my girl's ear perked up once my hubby let out a help, hands lying all over the place. my girl dashed to swim and she swim so fast! went to my hubby, circle him till he got her leash. hubby played dead, roxy who is only about 20kg pulled in a 70kg man to shore. once at shore, she licked his face make sure he is alright. it was amazing stuff!

anyways she swallowed salt wtaer which made her sick, but she is ok on the way back. it was great fun. we are planning something else two weeks from now..another swimming thing. thanks for the recommendation. we didnt have any problem but we kept her on leash all the time cause there were some malay families swimming by. we moved away further from them and we let her off leash for a while.

thanks!

Bailey

Feb 3, 2005, 6:53 PM

Post #22 of 25 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Am so glad that your brought Roxy there. I had so much fun getting Bailey to retrieve her floating Kong from the sea. Yeah I know the water is not fantastic like Redang but it will have to do as we are on the West Coast. The beach is still pretty clean with soft white sand. If you were to go further out to sea, the water quality actually improves. Did you manage to walk to the small island during low tide?

Wah.. I am so impressed with Roxy's life saving abilities. So smart!!!

Puppy Power

Bailey

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Feb 3, 2005, 8:15 PM

Post #23 of 25 (3514 views)
Shortcut

no we didnt manage to walk to the small island. i wasnt swimming due to muscle ache. but when we go there again, we and the dog are definetely swimming. i was already really "tahan" myself that day cause cannot swim and it was killing me.

we actually went after the wind surfing club. near the bayu beach hotel we saw some apt behind us and we can see a beach bungalow in the distance. we plan to go torwards the beach bungalow next time as they are literally no one. we left at 11am cause the sun is already up and scared she will get sun burned. it was hot too. but driving almost 2 hours there, it was certainly worth it!

pamphang
Novice

Apr 9, 2005, 9:14 PM

Post #24 of 25 (3296 views)
Shortcut

hi kelsey,

i'd like to try PD to, want to let my dog swim as well i think he loves the water. can u tell me where exactly you took him? how do u go there and and were there a lot of people there? giving weird stares all those things... and if you're planning to go again maybe we can go together and let the dogs have their own party??

anyone interested in a dog party by the beach??

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2005, 9:51 PM

Post #25 of 25 (3291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pamphang] Where Dog Swiming [In reply to] Can't Post

i bring them to the beach near the regency. it's ok clean, and we took a secluded spot near the small island. there is a bungalow facing the sea near the beach.

dog party probably not advisable as we took the gamble by unleashing our 2 golden retrievers and let them swim. my golden girl is especially a very strong swimmer. i am not sure if other ppl are going to complain if there is more dogs.

but my golden boy seems to be a hit with the ppl at the beach whom are ironically mostly malays. he just steals hearts.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my