Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
how to get my puppies attention

jolene29
New User

Dec 4, 2004, 4:18 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1598 views)
Shortcut
how to get my puppies attention Can't Post

how can i get my puppy to come when i call her? if i take her to the park and when i am leaving if i call her to come she doesnt listen its like she is ignoring me on purpose and if i walk over to her she runs away thinkin im trying to chase her....and also she wont stop jumping on people and this is becoming a problem ..im afraid she might do it to the wrong person one day and her being a pitbull . She doesnt jump to attack its only cuz she is really friendly and outgoing.

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 4, 2004, 12:17 PM

Post #2 of 13 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jolene29] how to get my puppies attention [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi.. it's me again- Happytux...:) You can try teaching your dog the "come" command... To do this, you need get the dog's attention. Try doing this in your house first before going to the park.. The park is way too interesting for the dogs and distracting...Also,what does your doggie like ? Any kind of food or toys? You need to use something he likes to grab his attention.

Start off with the dog on a short lead. Make him sit, wave his favourite treat or toy in front of him while you quickly walk backwards... he will most likely follow you.. Say "Come" in a happy voice while he is coming towards you... Once he arrives at your feet, give him his treat and tell him "good boy"..

If nothing happens, pull the lead towards you .. Once he arrives, praise him lots and give him his favourite stuff.... Then he will know that good things happen to him when he hears to word "come".. Never ask him to "come" and scold him as he will think that "my master ask me to come and get scolding from him".... :)
Happytux

tracky
Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2004, 4:39 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [happytux] how to get my puppies attention [In reply to] Can't Post

^_^^_6

so exciting in teaching puppy!!!a fantastic job! challanging job too!

i got my 3 mths old ECS

Command i show him:

1. Sit

2. Come

3. Go in (into cage)

the best he do is "Sit" abt 70% accurate...

Come and go in abt 60% only

i believe he can do better..

but... maybe i need u ppl comment on making him more better...

the command i mostly like ==> " HOLD "

(which the dog sit there n do nothing...wait until the owner command)

VERY COOL! Cool

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 8, 2004, 9:44 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1551 views)
Shortcut

how old ur puppy? yes happytux is correct, train in the house before the park. if she can pass the test in the house, then bring her slowly outside, if she forget all commands, train in the house again. the point is you have to know what distracts her and tackle that distraction.

if u think she is distracted by people, then make her sit and stay when you see a person coming ur way. she can't do anything if she is in sit/stay. if she move from sit and stay, affirm the command and gently hold her body down till the person passes by. her tail will wag like crazy but just affirm the command and praise her A LOT when she pass it.

try to see what is her favourite toy, if u call her and she wont come, Face her and hold that toy and call her name and say come. Maybe u can also try to make it more enthusiastic by bending down a bit and open ur arms wide with a big smile on ur face. When she come to you, then give her the toy, do this at least 3 times a day so she will get the message that coming means toy / praise/ treat. Please don’t say come, come and repeat like 20 times which sounds like begging, your dog need to process the word before doing it. Say one time come, and stop for 5 seconds and see what she do, if she ignore you, then say it again, 3rd time, move away, she will go after you. never make her come for something that she don’t like to do.

For the jumping problem, u need to make her sit before patting her. Don’t let anyone at all to pat her when she is jumping on that person. This will only tell her jumping is ok cause the person is patting her. No touch at all until she calms down or turn your back on her, she hates being ignored. Tell her to sit, once she sit, then pat her and praise her a lot! Do this every time, and she will get the message.

good luck!

tracky
Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] how to get my puppies attention [In reply to] Can't Post

my puppy is 3 mths old...

ya i agree with happytux ! my pup. do better in house rather than outside...

o.. the jumping problem happen on my dog oso...

like to climb to my leg...Unsure

same thing to do is it? when he climb on my leg.. i hav to make him sit 1st?

sometime when i play wit him... he seem out of control...like crazy...how to cold him down?

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 10, 2004, 4:52 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tracky] how to get my puppies attention [In reply to] Can't Post

3. yes make him sit, don't touch him when he is jumping on u, make him sit and pet and praise a lot.

how do u define out of control? want to bite you? running around like crazy, or he is just being really excited (tail wagging, the tongue wanting to lick you), for this one, normally i will make her sit, hold her body and tell her "calm down" Cool work for my dog lah..not sure if will work on yours.

tracky
Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2004, 6:15 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] how to get my puppies attention [In reply to] Can't Post

ya.. run here run there like crazy...n never listern to ur command...

he is so enjoy when he run here n there..

by the way...

i still facing his pee/poo problem...when i bring him out..he dun1 pee/poo...

when i bring him in de house.. he pee/poo PirateUnsureCrazy

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 14, 2004, 11:42 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1493 views)
Shortcut

Hi tracky... It think we all ECS owners have problems with our dogs jumping on people.. I must admit it's very hard to train. ECS like people & attention so very much.. Sometimes, I find it so hard to resist "sayang" them when they jump on you to kiss you!!
Happytux

tracky
Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2004, 4:08 PM

Post #9 of 13 (1490 views)
Shortcut

ya ya ya! happytux! u r rite!

my pipy like to kiss me la!Tongue

now he know to Sit & Wait...until i command "COME" then he will only come to eat ^_^ WinkCoolLaughSly

u got 2 ECS?

how many command ur ECS know?mind to share?

my pipy is OUT attention when there r more than 1 ppl around him...

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 14, 2004, 5:20 PM

Post #10 of 13 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Hi tracky... your pipy is soo cute - likes to kiss you..:) Happy , my older ECS (the red one in my picture) knows quite a few:

(1) Come

(2) Sit

(3) Down

(4) Stay

(5) Drop

(6) Stand ( still very good yet)

(7) Heel

(8) Front

(9) Around

(10) Swing

(11) Sit pretty (beg)

(12) Go see Mommy/Daddy

(13) Get your toy(any stuff toys)/kong/ball

(14) Go eat

(15) Find it

(16) Fetch

(17) Heel

(18) watch

(19) Kiss

(20) Shake a paw

(21) Over

(22) Move

(23) Back off

(24) Give

(25) No bite

(26) Quiet

(27)Let's go

(28) Go mat/crate

(29) Up

(30) "go pee!"

(31) where's the cookie?

(32) show mummy/daddy xxxxxx..

(33) wait

(35) Quiet

That's pretty much it.. But Tux who is the younger only knows the basics - sit, stay, off, down.....
Happytux

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 14, 2004, 8:22 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Hi, just read your little problem. I found that any form of training a dog is to catch your dog attention and I have seen it in America and notice that the e-collar training is the least stressful on the dog and owner. Please do not mis-understand as using the choke collar will have to come in later once your dog realise what is require. The electric pulse does not hurt the dog as it was demonstrated to me by placing on my neck it feels like those machine that is in the market that is suppose to relax and take the stress out of you and the e-collar pulse is adjustable. After all the above, I regret not buying a unit as I am now looking for one in Malaysia and so if anyone knows where I can purchase one plus advise on using it, I shall be very grateful.

emilia
Novice

Dec 18, 2004, 8:09 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1443 views)
Shortcut

helo.. i have one ECS, and she is 4 months now,named SHASha i duno how to train her and pampered her all the time, i love her so much, i stayed in melawati,KL. she is so lonely at home alone all the time, may i know anyone here who stay near by my place, may be i can bring shasha to join u guys, let her social circle can extend abit, may be for evening walk... kindly email me at emilia@tmsart.com if u know anyone who stay near by my area have dogs.
eMiLia

emilia
Novice

Dec 18, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1440 views)
Shortcut

dear jolene.. never ever change the puppy name, call the same name..sooner he/she will realize that, this is her/his name.Also dun give any nickname to him/her, dont confuse him/her.
eMiLia

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my