Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How can I keep my dog from jumping on the couch?

jolene29
New User

Dec 4, 2004, 4:12 AM

Post #1 of 2 (705 views)
Shortcut
How can I keep my dog from jumping on the couch? Can't Post

I have a 9 month old pitbull that does not want to stay off the couch..If i leave the room for a few mins i come back and i catch her on there and i get mad at her but a few seconds later she will go back on..Mad

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 4, 2004, 11:45 AM

Post #2 of 2 (699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jolene29] How can I keep my dog from jumping on the couch? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there.. with the couch thing.. you just have to stay consistent in teaching him to stay off the couch. If your dog knows the "off" command, then it will be easy. When you catch him on it, tell him "off" in a low-tone voice. If he gets off, praise & give hima treat. If he doenst get off, use something he likes to lure him away from the couch.. If the "off" command doesnt work, then, you can consider using the "can" method ( if your floor is not carpetted) . With the "can" method, you will have to set up a trap... How to do this?

(1) Put 4-5 cents in a Pepsi can and seal it with tape. When you shake the can, it's supposed to give out an irritating sound which most dogs will not like..

(2) Try to leave the room and observe the dog at a corner (where he cannot see you)

(3) when you see your pup climbing up the couch, throw the can near him ( NOT AT HIM)... The noise will startle him... By doing this consistently, you teach him that the nasty noise will come out if he jumps on the couch.. Gradually, he will learn not to climb on it... Good luck.. woof-woof!!
Happytux

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my