Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
biting getting really painful...

tame
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 8:54 AM

Post #1 of 22 (4354 views)
Shortcut
biting getting really painful... Can't Post

my puppy is now 3 mths old n he really enjoys biting people's feet n hand...

we had try telling him 'no' when he bites but everytime i do that, it seems to trigger him to bite even more aggressively...we had try turnin away from him n stop playing with him when he bites, but the moment we start playing with him again, he starts chewing again...

hmm...n hes giving us rather many nasty scratches all over our legs n hands...

i'm really worried about his chewing problem coz rather scared he'll hurt someone without realising it...that day, he even chew my visitor's hand while she's petting him : /

will he grow out of it soon? is there anything else i should try to do...

really need some help here...

MisterStan
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2004, 5:20 PM

Post #2 of 22 (4335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tame] biting getting really painful... [In reply to] Can't Post

hi tame

my dog used to bite my aunt when he was small, and now, he don't bite anymore. Sometimes he have to bite because his teethes are itchy. If you do not want him to bite, maybe you have to buy something he like so that he can focus on biting that thing, and not human hands..

Ahahaha. the best solution is to bring him to pet shop, let him roam around the toys section, and whichever toy he grabs, that is his favourite toy.. (Just kidding) TongueTongueTongue

tame
Novice

Dec 1, 2004, 8:01 AM

Post #3 of 22 (4319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] biting getting really painful... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol...i was going to ask u which pet shop can bring my dog...u really kidding ah? ;p

oh so he might still grow out of it...hmm...yup i'll try to buy more chew toy for him...hopefully i can find one that panda will get more attached too...:)

thanx anyway

MisterStan
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2004, 4:59 PM

Post #4 of 22 (4298 views)
Shortcut

wat u mean by which pet shop u can bring? and bring for wat purpose? checkups?

my friend did recommend me one bone for chewing purpose. it is called they nyala bone.. but a bit expensive.. but worth it lah, better than chewing hands ekeke... LaughLaughLaugh

PIPIMOM
Canine Addict

Dec 2, 2004, 7:09 AM

Post #5 of 22 (4284 views)
Shortcut

Tame

You can also buy "bitter gourd spray " from the pet shop and spray all over your legs/hands so that your pup won't bite you. I was told this method by my friend when my Pipi was 3 months old... she was like your pup.. biting slippers, furniture leg, legs and hands... but don't worry cos she will grow out of it after she is 1 year old.

I still keep my slippers that PIPI bite.. as a sourvenir.. those good,fun, sweet memories she left behind after caring for her for 10 months...

PIPIMOM

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 2, 2004, 6:47 PM

Post #6 of 22 (4272 views)
Shortcut

Hey... My pup did the same thing to me too when he was young.. Try this method... it worked on my pup..

- When you play with him & he starts biting you, say "ouch" very loudly and stop playing with him.Ignore him and turn away from him for about 1-2 minutes.. He will learn that when he bites too hard, his playmate will go away and all the fun will stop.

- After a minute or so, go back to him, make him sit.. then, resume play.. If he does that again.. you ignore him again. He will learn that when he plays properly, the game goes on....:) Good luck!!
Happytux

tame
Novice

Dec 3, 2004, 5:07 AM

Post #7 of 22 (4259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [happytux] biting getting really painful... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh i've tried the 'ouch' method b4...but panda jus continue biting n jumping even when i turn away from him..hmm...

oh so theres this bitter gourd thing..? i thought theres thing to put on furniture, but i never know can apply on skin too...great, guess i'll look out for that when i go to the petshop...including the nyla bone...;p definitely would be very helpful if i can find those...

thanx for the advice..!!!

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 3, 2004, 8:45 AM

Post #8 of 22 (4250 views)
Shortcut

Hi tame,

yes, there is this thing call "bitter apple" you can try spray on yourself ( hands, feet etc..) When the dog bite on you, it will taste yucky... The bitter apple can also help in teaching your dog NOT to chew things that you dont want him to chew like shoes and stuff... More severe cases, when he bites you, you say "ouch", the hold his muzzle firmly and say " no bite"... Then he will know"bad things" happen to him when people say "Ouch"....
Happytux

tame
Novice

Dec 5, 2004, 6:33 AM

Post #9 of 22 (4243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [happytux] biting getting really painful... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh i try the holding muzzle method...

panda really hate that...;>

good...now i think i better do that more often..maybe he'll get it soon...:)

thanx thanx

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 8, 2004, 9:33 PM

Post #10 of 22 (4217 views)
Shortcut

tame, 3 months is still very young and teething, be patient, if teeth touch skin, move away from the place, dogs hate to be ignored. i won't hold the muzzle as it will make the dog become more aggresive.

also i do threat to my dog, so funny..heheh i don't think this is a good idea but it's worth it. i bought a cheap muzzle, and whenever teeth touches hand, i will muzzle her. this last for about 2 minutes or until she calms down, we repeat this for a few weeks and she gets the message. so when i see teeth wanting to touch hand, i will just show her the muzzle, she stop already.

also buy him a good chew toy he can chew his teeth out.

my dog is 5 months and has change teeth, her canine is falling now and mouth very itchy lah, so i let her bite on her kong.

tame
Novice

Dec 8, 2004, 10:15 PM

Post #11 of 22 (4209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] biting getting really painful... [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm....so holding the muzzle might get him more aggresive sometimes...?

hai...oh well, i thought abt the cheap muzzle thing too...but don't feel like using it unless hes really uncontrollable...but thanx k, i'll keep that in mind...:)

recently, panda had stop bitting us so badly...erm..i guess i'll wait n see n see how things go..

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #12 of 22 (4200 views)
Shortcut

tame, he will grow out of it once the teeth change, right now his mouth is very itchy, have to just watch teeth don;t touch mouth. u guys also cannot be so kesian him and let him chew on ur hands even if it's a soft chew.

tame
Novice

Dec 9, 2004, 6:58 AM

Post #13 of 22 (4192 views)
Shortcut

hmm...how long will he grow out of it ah?:>

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2004, 7:32 AM

Post #14 of 22 (4190 views)
Shortcut

different breed has different time that they will change teeth. mine is a GR and right now changing teeth slowly since she ws 4.5 months. she is now 5 months and changing canine teeth.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2004, 10:13 AM

Post #15 of 22 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kelsey ...

You posted: " ... have to just watch teeth don't touch mouth. u guys also cannot be so kesian him and let him chew on ur hands even if it's a soft chew ..."

Just to share ...

I know many training books say that it's not a good idea to let your pup/dog mouth or chew your hand ... There is however, a second school of thought ...

And it goes basically like this ...

(A) Dogs use their mouths very much like we use hands, to hold, to touch etc ... and it is therefore unatural to prevent a dog from learning how to use its mouth ... And preventing a dog from learning how to handle human skin may prove to be more of a disadvantage than advantage in the long run.

(B) It is very important for dogs to learn about "bite pressure" ...

In a more natural environment, where pups are not sold or homed at 6 or 8 weeks ... a dog will naturally learn about bite pressure from its mother and during play with its siblings ... When a dog uses too much bite pressure ... the mother & siblings will warn off the pup for biting too hard ...

In this way - a dog becomes aquainted with - what bite pressure is acceptable for play or communication ... and what bite pressure causes discomfort & pain ...

A dog without an understanding of bite pressure can accidentially use his mouth with too much force and cause injury without intention ... For example: When taking a treat from your hand ...

Because we subscribe to this second school of thought ... under close supervision, we allow our pups to mouth ... we even allow nibbling of our fingers & ears etc ... we allow our dogs to use their mouths to lead us where they want us to go ... all of which is quite fun ... but we do not allow pressure ...

And in this sense, we have brought up all our dogs up with understanding of bite pressure ... especially, what is acceptable bite pressure on human skin ... And we believe that it makes our dogs much more reliable with their mouths ...

Even when they are all excited and reaching out for their favourite treat (freshly fried bacon or sausages) ... they appear to be snatching at the treat, and will put their mouth all over the treat and even our fingers - but once they feel our fingers - the pressure immediately eases off ...

Dogs with understanding of bite pressure - immediately release pressure when their teeth come into contact with human skin. And the wonderful spin off is that it also makes our dogs much much safer with children ...

Retrievers generally have very "soft mouths" ... Retreivers have been bred for generations to retrieve ducks, pigeons etc without damage ... and are wonderful dogs to teach correct "bite pressure" to ... because biting softly is almost second nature to them ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 9, 2004, 10:23 AM)

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2004, 10:32 AM

Post #16 of 22 (4179 views)
Shortcut

Hi tame....

Holding the muzzle might or might not make him more aggresive.. all depends on your dog's temperament and how you do it...But do make sure that you "don't" hurt him. Dont hold it too tight until he screams.... Just hold firmly and say "NO"...
Happytux

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2004, 5:37 PM

Post #17 of 22 (4168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] biting getting really painful... [In reply to] Can't Post

hey surchin,

yes i have read about the bite pressure and fail to include it in my earlier post. also i don't know what dog does he has. as for retreivers you are right about "soft mouth" even now she is retrieving things for us.

what i meant really was i won't give her my hand to be chewed upon, sometimes she does go up to me and lick my fingers or just nip it a bit if she wants something but full blown chewing that hurts, never happened cause i avoid it. so i think the one that gave it away was the "soft chew" part of my post. i would like to amend that and say, to not let the dog chew ur hand intentionally, as i believe, if u don;t want a habit, dont start it.

thanks for the correction though

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2004, 8:07 PM

Post #18 of 22 (4157 views)
Shortcut

Smile ... No lar ... not making correction ... just sharing ...

Yeah ... Retrievers are wonderful ... and what I find truly amazing how this retrieving instinct is bred into them ... no need to teach or train ... just throw a ball or some such - and it's like flipping a switch - automatically - off they go fetch and return ... WOW ...

And they do have such gentle mouths ... During a walk, our Lab picked up some rubbish (which she knows she is not supposed to) ... which she was vigorously trying to chew & swallow at once before anyone noticed ... my knee-jerk reaction was to just stick my hand into her mouth - it all happend real fast - and I could actually feel her teeth decend onto my hand (I thought oh! oh!) ... but the moment her teeth felt my hand/fingers - her jaw movement stopped ... Tongue

Have good days with your dog ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 9, 2004, 8:09 PM)

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2004, 9:11 PM

Post #19 of 22 (4148 views)
Shortcut

yeah i know what u mean about the retrieving instinct. i hope when i bring her to Canada, my dad in law actually hunt ducks and moose. so he wants to train my dog to hunt ducks. so we will see the soft mouth..hehe, i'm thinking how i can train her to do this or is it built in?

good days with ur labbie too. hey u didn't reply on my question about bringing her to Canada for vacation under "general" do u have any experience flying dogs that far off? your RRs should have some experience with it.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2004, 10:34 PM

Post #20 of 22 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Ah ...

Training your dog to retrieve game usually starts from young ...

It is not the retrieving part that is difficult - that as we say is already instinctive ...

What takes time and effort is training (a) the dog not to be afraid of gunfire ... (b) to sit or walk quietly besides the hunter until it's time for action ... (c) and much depends on whether the dog has sufficient drive to continue searching for game brought down but lost in the rushes or weeds ...

So - its very different from chasing a ball ... Most successful working dogs are bred from quite different bloodlines from our general pedigrees.

When you get to Canada - you will find that a working GR and a show type GR are very different, in looks as well as temperament.

Have a little experience in flying dogs to and from Malaysia but not to Canada ... and different countries will have different regulations ... The primary difficulty with Malaysian dogs going overseas is that there will usually be quarantine involved ... For specific details to Canada - I am afraid I have no knowledge. But when the time comes - let me know and I maybe I can put you in touch with people who might be able to assist.

Cheers

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Dec 10, 2004, 3:37 AM

Post #21 of 22 (4132 views)
Shortcut

surchin,

do refer this thread

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

i have "kaw tim" the Canadian part, but wanted to know which airline should i go for? so ur experience flying ur dogs to other country will also be beneficial for me.

thanks again

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 10, 2004, 6:29 PM

Post #22 of 22 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Ok - will have a look at that thread ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my