dog abroad!

evepez
New User

Feb 25, 2003, 10:26 AM

Post #1 of 9 (797 views)
Shortcut
dog abroad! Can't Post

Hi all:

I need help. I live in the US and is planning on visiting families in KL this summer. I have a Shih-tzu which i am concern as far as care when i am gone. I really do not have anyone who can really care for him while I am gone. The last time we were in KL for a mon he starved himselved half to death. He gets very depressed and has lots of anxiety with separation from us.

I am wondering if I should try to bring him back for this visit this time with me. I am also worried about him in quarantine. I hear that sometimes the journey back can be too streneous and then quarantine on top of that may be too stressful which can be fatal often. I am thorned btw bringing him with us or keeping him here with minimum of care but safe. Remember we will have to this again when I leave to return back to the US.

Can I get some advise on this please. I am sure many of you dog lovers know how hard it can be to leave our pets behind and worry about their well-being!

Thank you all !

eve

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evepez] dog abroad! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Evepez,

Welcome to the forum!

Since your are not coming back for good.. it's not advisable for you to bring your lil. Shih Tzu with you.. It's too troublesome and too long of a journey..

Why not to get help from your neighbor? Is your dog socialized well with your neighbor? Perhaps, it's about time! You can have some orientation done by putting your Shih Tzu with your neighbor while you r still in the State..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

wkser
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2003, 6:05 PM

Post #3 of 9 (789 views)
Shortcut

hi ,

welcome to the forum......i think the best choice for your shih tzu is send for boarding with any kennel ,breeder and petshops in US.....Wink

regards
kangser and nous

lulugurl
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2003, 6:46 PM

Post #4 of 9 (787 views)
Shortcut

helloo, welcome to this forumSmile Maybe you can do as what wkser has suggested? i believe there will be a wide option of boarding house in the states....btw, my name is also eveTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

drew
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #5 of 9 (777 views)
Shortcut

hello,

welcome to the forum and have fun !

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 26, 2003, 12:13 AM

Post #6 of 9 (769 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eve,

Welcome here, should be a good place for you to seek help. Hope you could sort things out asap to plan everything ahead.Smile

Are you going back to KL for the WHOLE summer?
When i was on summer vacation, I send my Golden to kennel for about 2 weeks. Of course he wasn't used to the place, and not with good/normal appetite. But from my experience and also my personal impression, kennel service in US is just great for boarding. You don't really have to worry about the environment, the persons who take care of your pets, food, grooming, disease,...etc.

If I were you, I won't bring him along. can't really TAHAN to see him suffering from long journey flight and quarantine.

by the way, i just sent my golden back to KL in January. it's definitely not FUN at all for him.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

evepez
New User

Feb 26, 2003, 7:30 PM

Post #7 of 9 (755 views)
Shortcut

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have tried last time to have little Smores left at a very nice kennel. That did not work out. He starved himself all the days he was there. Then we tried neighborhood kids, thinking he is in his home environment...better than kennel I think but still not eating and very depressed. He can get so depressed that his sitter gets so worried and have to call the vet. Last time we were gone for a month, he lost almost half his weight and took almost a month to get back to his spunky old self. I know I sound like a drag...we are very attached to little Smores that we worry desperately about him...silly to most I know! I guessed we will have to be more relaxed about the whole thing in order to be able to take a trip!

eve

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 27, 2003, 1:18 AM

Post #8 of 9 (744 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eve,
if the fact is leaving him alone will cause him health problems.... um... and if you are going back for the whole season, probably to bring him along with you would be a "not too bad" idea. Coz he only need to suffer abit during the journey hours and quarantine (5~7 days)... sounds a little bit better than 3 months "boot-camp" life!

guess u still have plenty of time to think about it.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

boon
Doggyman

Feb 27, 2003, 6:55 AM

Post #9 of 9 (736 views)
Shortcut

Hi Evepez,

Welcome aboard, greeting from Penang. A suggestion, y don send to your friend and ask them for a helping hand.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my