Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Young pup has mange...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2004, 12:30 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3085 views)
Shortcut
Young pup has mange... Can't Post

My friends and I found a 5 week old puppy with mange... it's called scabies I think. Anyway, the vet only gace some pills and an injection, no shampoo or dips? So I ask another vet, she sold me sulphur shampoo to bath it with.

I'm caring for the pup now and in my care, I have 2 puppies, The other pup is a 3 month old puppy, brought him to the vet and was told he has fungus so the vet gave some pills and a jab. Although only 3 days after the vet visit, the pup now has new hairless sores, some got brownish crusty spots... at first he only had 3 hairless small spots... now got 4 more whihc are sither yellowins or brownish crusty spots..... so is it mange? He is also under the sulphur shampoo.

These pups were rescued from the streets...

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 30, 2004, 8:40 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Young pup has mange... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Scabies or scarcoptic mange is very infectious ... Your vet should also have told you that to control scarcoptic mange, you must do the following:

(a) Clean, disinfect the floor, all bedding, towels ... etc

(b) You must keep the infected pup separate from other animals. Pups particularly are easily infected by scarcoptic mange.

You should NOT keep a pup with scabies together with other pups ... Scarcoptic mange can also affect people - so be careful and make sure you wash your hands after handling the pups.

Check these websites:

www.critturs.com/mange2.html

www.google.com.my/search?hl=en&q=Scabies+scarcoptic+mange+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I think you had better take ALL the pups to the vet and have them examined.

All the best

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 30, 2004, 8:49 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Young pup has mange... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my... it's that infectious? The vet actually told my friends that we won't be infected.... sigh.. ok, should I separate the pups far away from each other? The infected pup has already got a jab a week ago so will it still infect other pups? She doesn't have anymore reddish skin... so i suspect it's healing but the other puppy now has small bumps and brownish spots..... is that a sign of mange too?

Thanks for replying me.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 30, 2004, 9:41 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3058 views)
Shortcut

You posted: "...The vet actually told my friends that we won't be infected ..."

If the vet said that about sarcoptic mange - then sorry - the vet is wrong.

You must read the information on the websites - carefully.

The injection is intended to break the life-cycle of the mange mites on the pup that is treated ... BUT the mange mites that find their way to other pups can still infect the other pups.

What you need to do now is ...

(a) It is impossible to make any diagnosis over the Forum ... Take ALL the pups to an experienced and good vet - carry out skin scraping and determine which pups are infected with scabies ...

And then you need to separate the infected pups from the pups without mange.

(b) You MUST - bleach and clean all areas, floors, rooms used by the infected pups - all their toys, their bedding, towels, crates, cages etc ...

(c) After handling a pup with mange - you must wash your hands & all points of contact carefully before handling other animals.

All the best.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 30, 2004, 10:01 PM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2004, 5:08 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3033 views)
Shortcut

Wow, thanks so much. It's very kind of you to give me such information. The puppies I do separate but it's only by a few inches..... if she is not itching then is it a good sign? The pup aslo has a good appetite, eats a lot.

These pups, will be going to a new home soon. What should I advise them to do? Thes same as what the site says? Dips and shampoo rite?

I have told the new owners about the skin condition and they said they wouldn't mind treating the pups at their own vets.

I read that Baytical, a tick and flea medicine is also good for treating mange but awas adviced by another vet not to use on puppies... is that true? I only use a sulphur shampoo that is good for scabies and fungus.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 1, 2004, 9:45 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

You are most welcome ...

No - separation by a few inches is not sufficient ... Sarcoptic mange is particularly infectious.

Sarcoptic mange (unless it is very serious) will not normally affect the dog's appetite.

When using medicated shampoos, dips, pesticides or insecticides ... ALWAYS follow instructions ... so if the instructions say you are not to use on pups or young dogs - you are correct to follow the instructions.

Sulphur shampoos will help - if the sarcoptic mange infection is not serious ...

But like I mentioned above - the best thing to IMMEDIATELY do is take ALL the pups to an experienced & good vet for examination AND clean up all areas where the pups have been, including bedding, toys etc.

Just because a pup is not itching now or tomorrow does not mean the dog is free from the mites, and the itching can start a few days later.

I would not wait for the new owners to take the pups - if you treat early it is much easier to control and eradicate. It is important to take all correct steps NOW.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 1, 2004, 9:47 AM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2004, 6:11 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Ok Thanks you so much! Will take them to vet this Saturday!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my