Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
My Dog BIt me finger!!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2003, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 25 (5065 views)
Shortcut
My Dog BIt me finger!! Can't Post

Pirate I was bitten by my shih Tzu when i tried to get the tissue he was bitting.He always "Grr..." when i tried to get something off his mouth(depends on what he's bitting).What can i do to stop this behaviour? I'm afraid that he might bite visitors,groomers...etc.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 3, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #2 of 25 (5029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like your shih tzu has established himself to be the boss over you....this type of behaviour is definately not acceptable....each time he growls at you, you'll hv to firmly scold him NO! You may also wanna do some obedience work with him, you can do it at home too....when u do obedience work with your dog, you are teaching him to listen to your command, by you giving him a command and he obeying you, YOU are the boss....train him everyday if you can, use yummy treats and give lots of praise to him when he does it right.....another thing u can do is whenever he is biting something and you wanna take it away frm him and you know he's going to get possesive over it, instead of just taking the thing frm him, take his favourite treat and lure him to you....once he lets go of the object and comes to you, praise him for being such a good boy....hope this helps Smile

drew
ALPHA

Mar 5, 2003, 7:02 AM

Post #3 of 25 (5018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

my peke does that tooo .. today abru she bite my mum... my mum's hand got 3 holes now ... Frown was combing her hair .. and then she didn't like us to come ehr hair near her backside and she yelled and tried to bite us ... so my mu catch her head and i comb .. then she attack my mum !! haiyo !!! but then she know we're gonna scold her and spank ehr ... so after she bite she run atraight under the chair and hide !!!!!!!!! Pirate

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 14, 2003, 10:45 AM

Post #4 of 25 (4997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drew] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the advice,but i've been going what u said since the day i brought him back. I've read some articles online and i found out that maybe i've been playing tug-of-war with him too much.That's y he's being so possessive sometimes. When we were playing fetch, he seems ok to hand over the softtoy to me on command.But he will not let go certain things that he found on the floor especially when it's something new to him.

Maybe i haven't really established myself as the alpha male. Any good suggestions on that? Oh yeah one more thing, i'll be going to MIPE this weekend.Maybe u guys can suggest a book or something that's good for me to use.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ally_py

Mar 19, 2003, 8:32 PM

Post #5 of 25 (4972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drew] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, drew.

i got the same problem with u too. my 3 months old shih tzu r also like that. she don wan to give me comb her hair, washing her face, touch her.......... everytime when she saw ppl, she will go n bited their legs and hands. when u wan to comb her hair, she cry like crazy and try to run from u. how come a shih tzu don wan to comb hair? she's such the most ugly & dirty shih tzu in the world now! i just scolded her badly this morning, coz when i wan to touch her, she jump up and bited my hand hardly. when i scold her softly, she scold me back and try to attack me. i'm very very angryMad with her. how come a little baby can argue with u? she's very ' hard neck'. how to teach her?

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 19, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #6 of 25 (4971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ally_py] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cookie used to be like your shih tzu too.But i managed to train him to lie down for me to do the grooming.What i've done might not be the right way,but it works for me.At first,your dog will not trust u to groom them especially on the face part.U've gotta earn that trust yourself.Try your best not to hurt them during the grooming session or they might lose confident in u.Whenever i wanna comb his hair and he doesn't allow me to,i'll use one hand to force him down and comb it with another hand.Everytime before u comb your dog,tell him "Comb comb" and later on your dog will recognize it and know what to do.As for the face,I'll put him between my legs to prevent him from running away.The most sensitive part for cookie is it's whisker.He'll never allow me to comb his whisker.But i kept insisting and later he just got used to it.Give your dog a treat after the grooming session and praise them alot when they r doing the right thing.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ally_py

Mar 20, 2003, 6:16 AM

Post #7 of 25 (4959 views)
Shortcut

thanks adam. i'll try ur way to comb her hair, hope it's work for me too!Smile

Dee
Novice

Mar 23, 2003, 6:10 AM

Post #8 of 25 (4941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ally_py] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

One night my idiot husband Derek had too much alcohol & teased big Ben ("I'm gonna get your chew!", this being a rawhide chew, a prized possession) so Ben grabbed him by the wrist & bit him, not hard, but it tore the flesh a bit. I said stop bleeding on my clean floor. Very sympathetic! Derek was a bit cross at first but I pointed out that he'd disrespected Ben & that it was all his own fault, not the dog's. He agreed & the wound healed in a few days.

Another time little Raq (on the right in the pic) was really irritating Ben who'd had enough of playing; she sometimes acts like a human three-year-old. At first he warned her with a deep growl but she didn't stop so he tried to grab her by the neck just as a warning - but he missed & got my arm instead! I wear these scars with pride because it saved the silly little thing from damage. Ben realised immediately what he'd done & let go & spent hours following me about the house with "Sorry!" written all over his body.

Dee

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 23, 2003, 7:14 AM

Post #9 of 25 (4938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dee] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cookie likes to hug my and and chew my hand too especially when i'm lying on the floor.Sometimes he pretty much resemble a smalol kid as well.When i don't give him treats for not obeying me,he'll bark at me and then go hiding under the chair ignoring me for the whole day.

After Cookie bit me,i had fever the next day.Is Derek ok?

What breed is your dog anyway?

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

Dee
Novice

Mar 23, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #10 of 25 (4935 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Is Derek ok?

What breed is your dog anyway?

Derek's as crazy as the day I married him so I propably wouldn't notice if he was affected by a little biteTongue. The Dogs are Ben, massive long-haired 4-y-o GSD & Raq, 3-y-o GSD cross collie female who tries to be Alpha but fails miserably.

Dee

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Mar 24, 2003, 9:27 AM

Post #11 of 25 (4926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dee] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkIt seem like all 4 of u are living happily together with a whole lots of fun.Even the picture on your profile suggested it.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

timmy
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2003, 6:45 PM

Post #12 of 25 (4902 views)
Shortcut

my sz did the same- love to bite fingers/ toes, well, everyone said puppyhood is like that- cant avoid- only thing is to stop them saying 'no' but they will bite again no matter how- pray that my uppy sz will stop it few mths later !

i believe they will stop it once they r adult. i just wonder anyone of your furniture/ things being messed up by ur puppy? and its going to be costly to consider change new furniture ya!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2003, 8:42 PM

Post #13 of 25 (4894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear timmy,

My dog doesn't bite that much nowadays,when u say no he'll stop right away and start licking! lol.Ain't that cute huh!! U can go get those "stop chew" solution and spray it on the furniture parts where your dog normally bites.It taste bitter and discourage your dog from biting.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2003, 3:33 AM

Post #14 of 25 (4886 views)
Shortcut

Hi fellow canine lovers ,Wink

I used to have that problem when Belle was a pup.
What I did is I let out a yelp "OUCH" and walk away when she bite my finger.

This will let your dog know that "I wont play with you if you bite so hard" . It will eventually learn that bitting is a NO NO and thus will learn how to control the strength of its bite.

Dogs have what they call "soft mouth" ie they are able to control their mouth in such a way that they don't hurt you at all with jaw/teeth.

It is good to hear your dog don't bite that much now and licks you instead when you tell it to stop bitting.Wink

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 2, 2003, 3:46 PM

Post #15 of 25 (4880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone! Smile

My dad's friend taughtt my family this and though it might sound a little 'cruel' - it worked!

When your pup wants to bite/chew on your hand, say "no" sternly and loudly but use your finger and push it in sideways as far as you can into the pup's mouth. (Ermm....that means your knuckles should be in his mouth and your wrist and fingernail part sticks out on both sides of the mouth). They can't chew on you like this and they will feel a little discomfort. But you have to do this everytime your dog chews. It stopped Richie in no time! Of course you can only do this when he starts to bite/chew on your hands! As for furnitures, my family took to the word "no!"

Hope this can help! Wink

(This post was edited by cshellz on Apr 2, 2003, 3:49 PM)

joycet78

May 16, 2003, 11:15 PM

Post #16 of 25 (4806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I read this somewhere and it works! Puppies are raise in packs, when they play with their siblings and bit too hard, the victim will "squeel" loudly and the aggressor stops, this article suggest that we owners too pretend to "squeel" to send out the same message and then walk away and not play with the dog each time, he bites. he will soon gets the message.

I don't think by pushing your finger in the dogs' mouth is sending the correct message except "you will hurt him back". it depends if you have the patience to let him know correctly or taking the fast track approach to educate your dog.

goodluckCool
JT78

doodle
ALPHA

May 21, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #17 of 25 (4777 views)
Shortcut

My doodle still bite people's leg and hands. We don't really mind letting him bit but it hurts so badly! I even cried. Each time when he tries to bite, we will put him into the cage. When we free him again, he bites!
yesterday, he swallowed a whole piece of tissue! Imagine that!!! We tried getting it out but he growls at me instead.

sandy&dexter
Novice

May 22, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #18 of 25 (4771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everyone,

Dexter is also the aggressive type. He's a male Shih Tzu. He won't let me touch his nails and growls most of the time (dunno whether it's his form of communication or not). My friends don't seem to have this problem with their female Shih Tzus.
Does this mean males are more protective of themselves or are they trying to show how "manly" they are???

Phoebe
Novice

May 22, 2003, 9:25 AM

Post #19 of 25 (4766 views)
Shortcut

Hmm....My dog Max also likes to bite my hand n legs wor. If i'm not mistaken i read a article before. It says Bealge likes to bites ppl's hand n legs. That's the way they play with us. But max some times tend to bite too hard....really kinda hurt though. I tried to shout loudly n tell him that's it's hurt but max just seems like dun understand me or he'll just ignore me n continue biting again....so how wor??? Unsure

adamchooi
Canine Addict

May 23, 2003, 3:33 AM

Post #20 of 25 (4751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandy&dexter] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello sandy,

Dexter is telling u not to mess with him/take away his belongings.This kind of behaviour is definitely not acceptable. In a way,he's also challenging u for the ALPHA position. What i do is i'll make sure i get back whatever cookie is not letting me take. U gotta let dexter know who is the boss and make sure it's not him.

This kind of problem does not only apply to male dogs,bitches does that too.(correct me if i'm wrong) It depends on the dog's temperement not their gender.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

sandy&dexter
Novice

May 23, 2003, 4:51 AM

Post #21 of 25 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Adam. Dexter has been like this since he's only 6 mths' old. Thought that maybe he would outgrow it.
I've tried saying "NO" to him but there's absolutely no effect on him. Tha's why I always send him to the groomers to cut his nails and clean his ears.
Is there any other way to stop his aggressiveness?

cdmoo
ALPHA

May 23, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #22 of 25 (4738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandy&dexter] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sandy,

I would say your dog does not respect you as the boss and would challenge the 'Alpha' position as what pointed out by AdamChooi.

Is there any other way to stop his aggressiveness?
Well... u have to be more aggressive than him and firm about it!
Good luck!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

anna_kys

May 27, 2003, 2:07 AM

Post #23 of 25 (4714 views)
Shortcut

I think I have quite an intelligent but dominant puppy.... just like me!!! When I first got my puppy (last month), she too "Grr..." at me when I want to pull a toy from her mouth. I looked into her eyes and shouted "No" very lound till she let go of the toy then I gave her a treat, but quickly ask her to sit and return the toy back to her. After a few times, she knows that I will always give her back whatever I take away, she doesn't growl at me anymore. Sometimes when she gets very aggressive at play I will just pick her up under the ketiak (with only the hind legs touching the floor) and look deep into her eyes till she turns away. My training book says this will show them who is the boss without having to wag your dog. Make sure you don't shake the puppy thou as it may damange her brain or neck if you shake too hard.

The other thing also I eat my meal in the living room and she used to jump up trying to get my food. I keep repeating the "sit" command to make her sit down until I finish my meal then give her a big treat. Now, she will just sit and watch me eat instead of begging for food. My training book also say hoh, food is critical to survival for the animal in the wild, so owner must always eat first then feed your dog later to establish dominance.

Now I am also training my puppy that everything she asks for she must ask then sit, like using the sit as "please". If she wants her toy, she will scratch the table then sit and wait for me to give. If she wants to go out to play, she will sit next to the door and wait for me to say "go" before she goes out.

So far she follows the command and discipline about 90% of the time when we are alone in the house, she will even do the "stay" command. Unfortunately, if we have visitors or if she is free in the garden with something else more interesting to do ... she will ignore my existence until she is done runing around or bored with my visitors.

So, I can't really tell if I have trained her well or that she is entertaining me cause she has nothing else better to do in the house!!!!

Maybe you can try some of the above techniques with your shih tzu ..no harm trying.

doodle
ALPHA

Jun 6, 2003, 7:58 AM

Post #24 of 25 (4675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anna_kys] My Dog BIt me finger!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ya ya,

it is true!

But then hor, if everything before they do, they sit. When come to show ring, it is not advisable for them to sit right?
It will become a practise for them.

anna_kys

Jun 9, 2003, 9:18 PM

Post #25 of 25 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Wink Training for show dog may be different leh. Maybe you need to ask all those Si Fus of this site!!! I would be happy as long as my dog turns out to be polite with good manners!!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my