Training my GSD

khoo262
Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2004, 8:52 PM

Post #1 of 3 (898 views)
Shortcut
Training my GSD Can't Post

Hi All,

I have a 4 month old GSD. Would like very much to train him. Currently I do not know the proper method of training. Is there a book that I can buy? I saw the book by Adam Katz (Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer). Is it any good? Went to MPH and Popular to look for it but cannot find. Anyone out there that can recommend a good book that can be found in M'sia. Would not like to buy online as I have bad experience with credit cards and buying things on line.

Perhaps someone can guide me.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 28, 2004, 3:39 AM

Post #2 of 3 (892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Training my GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Depends on what kind of training you are thinking of ...

Just basic/normal training or are you thinking of starting training your dog for Obedience trials? ... Or Schutzhund training?

Normal training is like training your dog to sit, stay, heel etc ... Obedience training is training your dog to a standard & style that will allow your dog to compete effectively at OB trials ... while Schutzhund training for protection & guard work ...

Go to any of the bigger bookshops in town ... copy down the titles you find ... and then do a search on Amazon.Com - read the reviews - and then purchase the books you like ... Would certainly suggest that in addition to a training manual, you also pick up a dog behaviour book.

You can start here: www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A383ABZY40JIYO/002-5260234-9841603

If you are intersted in basic/normal training ... I would recommend the following:

For basic training:

How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners (Revised & Updated Edition)
by The Monks of New Skete

Good Owners, Great Dogs
by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson

Don't Shoot the Dog! : The New Art of Teaching and Training
by KAREN PRYOR

Culture Clash
by Jean Donaldson

For general reading & dog behaviour:

The Other End of the Leash
by Patricia McConnell

Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
by Suzanne Clothier

... Cheers

khoo262
Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2004, 1:17 AM

Post #3 of 3 (874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Training my GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy,

thanks for the helpful suggestion. are the books found at our local mph bookstores? really keen to get one and start training as soon as possible.

khoo262
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my