Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Views on Dog Superstitions

yjchong
Novice

Nov 26, 2004, 7:00 PM

Post #1 of 24 (7270 views)
Shortcut
Views on Dog Superstitions Can't Post

Hi all- My pooch recently gave birth to 2 pups. One of the pups is black with white markings on her chest and four paws. I often hear that such pups/ dogs are not accepted and discouraged by family members to be brought up. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know the 'real' story behind such a superstition?

2. Are there any proof/s that bad luck has happened to anyone you know for having such pups/ dogs in the family?

3. That this is all not true and you have known of friends that live with great fortune & luck in such instances?

4. Do you know typically who will be happy & willing to adopt such a puppy/ dog?

Thanks with Regards

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Nov 26, 2004, 9:41 PM

Post #2 of 24 (7249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yjchong] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

i respect ur superstitions but if you are relying on it, then sadly the pup's life is not going to be a fruitful and long one.

what would u say for border collies whom is mostly black with white markings at the chest. i believe ppl will want to adopt the pup, if they are not traditional chinese.

yjchong
Novice

Nov 26, 2004, 11:09 PM

Post #3 of 24 (7234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

I fully agree with your view, Kelsey. Thank you for your enligthening words. I am not superstitious, but when you're living with a family who is, the best is to persevere to look for a home that will love the pup. Cheers

Virgil Ang
Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2004, 4:36 AM

Post #4 of 24 (7080 views)
Shortcut

Hi yichong. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Reading your thread makes me wonder there are people still believe in existence of that ? still that superstitious about the colours of dog ? white on four paws and white at the chest portion ? Gosh !! why ? what is wrong with the colour ? why do they have to put the dog into a miserable future life ?

I dont believe that at all because My friend keep two dogs (mixed breed) with four paws white and chest white in colours(I notice it is found in mixed breed dogs only) he is stable in business (trader) and all his kids healthy and cheerful. What more to prove ?

Another friend's 1 year old pup's father,a pure breed pitbull and mixed breed Rotweiler mother. The pup is with white four paws and white chest...My friend was hesitating about keeping the pup but not able to part him from his kids. So pup stays happily with the family. My friend ? Nothing unusually.

It was named in cantonese (Pak Keok Tai) or in Hokkien (Peh Kar Tueh) but when I ask them why ? No body able to give a good answer !!! The claims mainly on the four white paws saying it is bad luck if four white paws dog with you but who ? when ? why ? well. no one give me the answer ............

yichong ...did your family members deny the dog due to his colours ? if YES, please ask them why coz I like to know too.

May I ask yichong......are you at the step to old aged group or you are a young Guy/Mdm/Miss....excuse me for asking, I think you should know why ...Frown

Life change not from Dog's colour

You who change dog's life.

(This post was edited by Virgil Ang on Dec 15, 2004, 4:40 AM)

yjchong
Novice

Dec 15, 2004, 5:28 AM

Post #5 of 24 (7070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Virgil Ang] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ang- Thank you for your Xmas wish. I hope you & your family will have a good Christmas too.

As for your thoughts, I cannot disagree much with you.

To answer your Qs:

Some background, this adorable black pup has a sister which colour is completely the opposite to it (i.e. white). As I live with my in-law, I initially had to agree to keep only one dog at home. Thus, I am giving them away not because I deny them, but more of the ‘in-law’ factor. The younger people in our family are not denying the pup at all, just the old folks. Sadly, I got the same answer just like you. It’s just an old wife’s tale passed from mouth-to-mouth with no solid evidence!

I categorise myself as the young mature age group and when you are compelled to live with your husband’s family, there are just certain things you’d need to compromise in order to keep yourself sane. It’s definitely not easy. If I have my own home, it will be my say & both pups stay!! Thanks to the Malaysia Dog & Puppy Portal, this little black pup is a step closer to its future loving home.

My last words to add- If there are more people like you out there, the world is definitely a better place to live in. Thanks for writing in, and keep healing the world!

yj

Virgil Ang
Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2004, 12:29 AM

Post #6 of 24 (7041 views)
Shortcut

Thank you yichong. I am the same like you matured young generation group who dont believe dog's colour will lead our life. Yeah, you are right, absolutely correct that one who stay with those aged group have to face consequences, we have to no matter how, with some due respect, at the least, listen and be a follower sometime ! I hope you can put up a thread with photo into the Rescue and adoption column let other forumers read and view, should have no problem getting the puppy a new home.....I am anxious to see how the puppy is coloured..... Nice chat anyway. Merry Christmas . Take care.

yjchong
Novice

Dec 16, 2004, 12:39 AM

Post #7 of 24 (7031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Virgil Ang] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ang-

Thanks for advice. I have already posted a thread on R&A section on the day I posted the superstition topic.

Just click on my name to see all my posts, you'll find the puppy pics there.

Take care, thanks again & Happy Chrissy & NY!!!

yj

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 28, 2004, 11:11 PM

Post #8 of 24 (6960 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smile

Understand how hard it is for u...

Many yrs back when I was much much younger, my siblings & I used to rescue abandoned pups home... we love doggie & had many when we were living with grandparents as kids... later when we moved to KL, my stepmom will not allow as she do not like them... we tried many many ways to sneak them into the house... when we are cought the dogs will have to taken away... Unsure but we kept trying Tongue

Once we got a pair of very very beautiful pups... both females, black & white like u say with the so-called forbidden markings... sneaked them into the house & kept them under our beds for whole 2 weeks...fed them in the room... later our secret was out, mom forced us to take it back to the market where my brother found them...

We beg & made so much hassle & fortunate grandparents came to live with us, we got to keep the girls... they were very beautiful with long hairs like collies but the marking did not go unnoticed... my mom kept picking on that... but as long as grandparents were around they were safe with us...

Amy & Leslie ... they garded the house & the family members faithfully... once a drunk addict came thru the gates late evening while our parents were out, Amy the macho one stood up against the man... she was so fierce & protected the house like a rottie wud though her size was not much bigger than a min pin... the drunked eventually left seeing he could not by pass her... whenever we the kids were out, they alwiz followed to keep an eye on us... if we are out cycling they will run beside us...

Both girls never once brought any bad luck to us... instaed they brought joy & peace to us... all except my mom coz she dun like dogs so keep rambling all the time... but nothing bad ever happened to us while they were with us... my grandad who was recovering form cancer opperation did very well... all was fine & no bad luck as ppl say it wud ...

SO i think its just TALKS... no truth to it... may ppl look for scape-goat... blaming others or something all the time for whatever happends... maybe the doggie with white markings was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

yjchong
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 12:01 AM

Post #9 of 24 (6956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear ladee_m

Thank you for sharing your heart warming true story with everyone, and thank you for the the reassurance that there are still some caring people left in this world; people who will go with the heart and do what's best for all animals, nature & mankind.

Happy New Year to you & your family, and may you be blessed with all good things in life!

Regards

yj

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2004, 2:23 AM

Post #10 of 24 (6950 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smile

Thanks... Happy New Year to u too & all ur loved ones... may u find many many wonderful moments & happy memories to treasure as the new year draws near... Wink

Believing in urself & what is good is what really matters... the good will surpress all evil... Wink good will alwiz prevail ...

PIPIMOM
Canine Addict

Dec 29, 2004, 7:03 AM

Post #11 of 24 (6939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear ladee

Your story touches me. At the moment, I also help a group to rescue pups you can read all in the chit chat: sunway pet rescue vol. thread.

I am so encouraged that there are people out there who love those pups.God bless.

PIPIMOM

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2004, 10:17 PM

Post #12 of 24 (6922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PIPIMOM] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

HI Smile

Have seen ur thread... I think its a great thing u are doing... all doggies are the same... if we are to be k9 lovers, we shud not disciminate breeds, colour, size, & whatever it is...

Keep up the wondeful work... Wink

tterrynick
Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2005, 3:37 AM

Post #13 of 24 (6847 views)
Shortcut

My Rott/? mix is black with a white heart-shape on her chest and 1 white hind paw. We have no misfortune whatsoever. I love her so much. In fact, I have a feeling in me that one day, she would save me from a big disaster. I don't know why, because every time I am with her, I have this sense of protection. I love my Gigit sooooo much.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jan 23, 2005, 6:07 AM

Post #14 of 24 (6846 views)
Shortcut

yoyo,
i wuld also like to know the answer of your question because now in my household, i am keeping 2 abandoned puppies that have white chest and 4 white paws. The male one have more white on his paws than the female one....so far so good...only happies have brought to my life...

You see, i was raise in a environment where ur dad unmarried sister stay with u to be exact 2 of them. So they never like animal at all..always complain there are filthy dirty and messing....so for a long time, i never had a dog...

Then until my dad have passed on, this two dogs come to my life, and let me tell you, i am one big animal lover, me dont care what kind of dog, as long it is a dog...
so back to what i said earlier, this dog actually change the attitute of my two aunts. they love the dog nad pamper them alot..buying dog biscuit for them..never thought that will happen. Now they ever sleep inside the house..home become full of love and joy with them along..their cute look simply melt you..
So heck with the supertitious stuff but i really wan to know what is the story behind this fact..if any1 know, please tell me..

Cheers......

boBby is a craze car Sitter
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car siTter
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan car Driver....

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 24, 2005, 2:04 AM

Post #15 of 24 (6830 views)
Shortcut

Frownyjchong~

hi, chen yang from SPRV here. we do experienced in rescue & fostering a pup which is black color, white paws & white tip tail. & it ended up with a nice story, a member from puppy.com (Golden Warrior) & thr were no bad luck, perhaps we found tht we gain goodluck, satisfied for saving them. so, keep up ur good jobFrown

Chen Yang

Regards,

Yang

nozzy
K9 Kaki

Jan 24, 2005, 5:37 PM

Post #16 of 24 (6807 views)
Shortcut

Hi chong,

I heard tat my parents were telling me about this story of bad omen.

So I asked them Y was it no good? ....only thing is that they were saying that dogs with white paws/socks are no good.

But I heard tat something about at nite....when is dark and only thing u can see is the dogs' 4 white PAWS and scared the shit out of them. WELL...does this makes sense? I personally had 2 dogs,mixed breed pantai&chilli. Pantai has a white cross at the chest and 4 white socks, chilli has 4 white socks and a white tip tail. I dun find any bad omen, infact I m getting bonus this year! and I m getting a new member in the family!

Both pantai & chilli were so smart! They seldom bark but only to strangers. At least there would be no one coming into my house to steal my shoes now.

nozzy

" Pantai + Chilli = Havoc"

yjchong
Novice

Jan 24, 2005, 10:23 PM

Post #17 of 24 (6803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tterrynick] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Terry- Keep on loving her! Rgds yj

yjchong
Novice

Jan 24, 2005, 10:30 PM

Post #18 of 24 (6800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah Nicky- The heck with superstition & thanks for your support. Guess what?! My black PuP found her new family yesterday. She is now a family member to 5 loving kids & 2 parents to love her!! And they are all v excited to keep her! Cheers, yj

yjchong
Novice

Jan 24, 2005, 10:34 PM

Post #19 of 24 (6797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chen Yang- Thanks 4 your support. My puppy finally found a wonderful family of 5 kids + 2 great parents to love her. Another happy ending eh?! ;o) yj

yjchong
Novice

Jan 24, 2005, 10:36 PM

Post #20 of 24 (6796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nozzy] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Nozzy- Give them Pantai & Chilli a few big hugs for me! My pup has already found a happy, happy big family! 7 people to love & look after her! Cheers! yj

tterrynick
Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2005, 2:13 AM

Post #21 of 24 (6787 views)
Shortcut

yes, yj, i will. in fact, we are moving house and we are creating a yard for her to run. but the naughty girl like to chew plants. aiyah. but i still love her - my black beauty.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 27, 2005, 1:15 AM

Post #22 of 24 (6771 views)
Shortcut

yjchong~

wow, a great news indeed. so how many & wat type of dog u own now?

Chen Yang

Regards,

Yang

tterrynick
Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2005, 3:14 AM

Post #23 of 24 (6767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

we have 3 pekineses and 1 mix breed. very soon, we will have a bull mastiff - a friend is moving house and the house not big enough for her. maybe, when i have time, i will post on 'me and my dog' and tell you more about nicky, tutu, lingling (3 pekineses) and gigit (my darling mix breed). our new dog's name is erma - very ang moh, right? my friend is ang moh and she has been having erma for 2 years. don't know if i change her name, she will get use to it or not? any suggestions?

i love them all sooooo much.

tterrynick
Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2005, 3:16 AM

Post #24 of 24 (6766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tterrynick] Views on Dog Superstitions [In reply to] Can't Post

oops, you were asking yjchong. sorry i replied by mistake. but anyway, good to have introduced my babies.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my