Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Need help on rescued rottie mixed

yst323
Old Kaki

Nov 26, 2004, 5:40 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Need help on rescued rottie mixed Can't Post

My family member has rescued a rottie mixed pup when she was only 1 week old on that time and now she is roughly less than 8 weeks old. She is caged and only released once a day for her to exercise a bit. We noticed that she is a bit aggressive, whenever released her from crate, she will run here and there and bite our toes. She even runs to my other dog, baby (2 years old) to bite her leg and eats baby's food from her bowl. She hardly listen to us and just cannot control her.

We are in worry coz if we can't control her now and will not when she grow up..need advise on how should I go about doing it? What approach shld I train her??

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 26, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yst323] Need help on rescued rottie mixed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

You posted: " ... My family member has rescued a rottie mixed pup when she was only 1 week old on that time and now she is roughly less than 8 weeks old. She is caged and only released once a day for her to exercise a bit ..."

And you post that you are now having problems with the pup/young dog's behaviour.

It is good that someone in your family rescued a pup.

But now you MUST learn how to look after a pup/dog.

Please please read this post carefully ... If there is any part you do not understand - please post.

FIRST CAUTION:

If you keep a pup in a cage ALL DAY LONG from when she is 1 week old - and ONLY let her out once a day to "exercise a bit" ... YOU are asking for problems!!!

All pups/young dogs require mental and emotional stimuli and interaction ... This is VERY VERY IMPORTANT for all pups and young dogs ... Especially a pup that has been taken away from its mother at 1 week.

A pup/young dog that is kept in a cage and left there for long parts of the day will be DEPRIVED of the required mental and emotional interaction she needs to grow into a healthy, mentally stable dog ... And once this damage is done - it is very difficult to correct or recondition! ... And your dog will suffer.

SECOND CAUTION:

If you keep a 8week old pup/young dog in a cage all day long ... and only let it out once a day ... WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

All pups/young dogs are full of energy - and being kept in a cage for such long hours is causing discomfort mentally, emotionally & pent up frustration ... So when you finally release your pup ... seriously - what do you expect?

Do you expect the pup/young dog to come out of the cage quietly and calmly? That would be a wholly unreasonable expectation.

From your post - it appears that your or your family's method of bringing up the pup - may be the primary cause of her difficult behaviour ... And that must change, or ... your dog will suffer for it.

SOLUTIONS:

(A) Do not keep your pup/young dog in a cage.

You can fence off a large area (with a puppy pen) for her ... And let her have more freedom and room - where at least the pup can stretch her legs & body ... Give her some chew toys ... a blanket/towel ...

And you must let her out into the garden every few hours to pee & poop.

(B) Pups/young dogs need plenty of attention and play - So, as owner & family ... you have to play and interact with her as often as possible ... and surely more than just a little while once everyday ... There is no such thing as too much interaction ... only too little.

(C) Use the SEARCH FUNCTION ... and check on the threads on "Basic Training" ... Learn how to teach and train a dog ...

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=68169;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=68169;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=last;#last

Also read this thread:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=63103;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=last;#last

Please understand ... a 8week old puppy is full of life and energy ... she wants to live but are you letting her live? Or are you treating her like a prisoner? ...

You want her to behave but how??? ... If you lock her up almost all day long.

Please - keeping a pup/young dog caged for so long is close to being abuse.

And you are absolutely right ... if your pup is a Rottie cross - there is a good chance she is going to grow into a strong powerful dog ... and you must start treating and bringing her up CORRECTLY - NOW ... before she becomes a irritable, untrained and frustrated dog that has no idea how to live within a family ...

If you have any other queries ... PLEASE POST ... If you cannot handle the pup ... PLEASE POST ... But do not go on doing what you are doing ... any problem or bad habit you cause or teach or inculcate into the pup/young dog now will affect your dog all the rest of her life ... and she will be the one to suffer!

Please post if you do not understand anything I have written.

Cheers

PS ... Maybe things are not as bad as my post suggests ... if my post is an over-the-knee over-reaction (I apologise) - but given the nature & tenor of your post (and the possible dangers faced by any isolated pup/young dog) - maybe an over-reaction is better than under-reaction.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 26, 2004, 7:22 PM)

yst323
Old Kaki

Nov 27, 2004, 2:31 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need help on rescued rottie mixed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your advise. You are not over reaction and I understand that your intention is to rectify my error here...thanks a lot...

Secondly, my family members here hv no experience in bring up a very young pup like her before and I strongly agree with you that what can we expect from her after caging her whole day long....Crazy

You mention the puppy pen, right. It still like caging her, isn't it. Our cage here is quite big, enough space for him to move around. We did put in toy and cloth for her...but she doesn't seem interested on them. Ok...will arrange more time to release her from cage...will puppy pen help more efficiently?

Whenver we bring her for walk outside house, she will walk half way and run back to our house. She seems like remembering her previous bad experience...dump by previous owner. Is there any way we can help her to regain confident here?

Thanks again for your precious advise...

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 27, 2004, 7:00 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

I am real glad I did not upset you ... thank you ... Smile

Crate or Puppy Pen?

If (for unavoidable reasons) you have to confine or secure a dog for a long period of time - then I think, a puppy pen is better than a crate ... A crate makes it difficult/impossible for the pup to pee & poop away from where it is sleeping & resting ...

When experienced doggie people speak of crating or crate training - they do not mean using the crate to confine the dog for long periods of time ... They mean using the crate as a safe resting place for the dog, and ALWAYS allowing the dog to leave the crate to pee & poop.

Forcing a dog to pee & poop INSIDE the crate is BAD & INCORRECT crate training! ...

Please read this thread: www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=188408;search_string=basic%20instinct;#188408

You can buy a puppy pen sections ... so if you get a 6 or 8 section puppy pen - it is quite big ... with enough space in one corner for the pup to sleep/rest in and use the other corner for elimination ... As your dog gets bigger ... your can add sections to make the puppy pen even bigger ...

But of course - it is BEST if you don't force your pup to pee or poop any where near where it rests/sleeps/eats ... Because if you do then you only make it very difficult to house train the pup ...

Things to remember

A pup/young dog is very much like a human baby ... its body is growing ... its brain is growing ... its personality is developing ... And dogs are NOT SOLITARY animals ... a dog need interaction with its pack & family (which means YOU).

And just as a human child deprived of interaction with others, deprived of exercise mental & physical ... deprived of emotional stimuli ... will likely grow into a psychotic adult ... that is the same danger faced by an isolated pup or dog ...

And just like human babies - if you want a pup/young dog to grow into a healthy, mentally stable and calm adult ... you MUST provide the pup/young dog with plenty mental and emotional stimuli ... so that it experiences new things, events ... etc ...

And when you leave a pup/young dog in a crate/cage or puppy pen alone - you are depriving your pup/dog of such stimuli ... Imagine, after a day of confinement - what is of any interest inside a crate or cage??? ...

Why do you think dogs that are constantly caged or chained - are always so aggressive & fierce??? ... Because long periods of confinement can turn an otherwise healthy dog into a frustrated, stressed and uncontrollable animal ...

Your question: " ... Whenever we bring her for walk outside house, she will walk half way and run back to our house. She seems like remembering her previous bad experience ... dump by previous owner. Is there any way we can help her to regain confident here? ..."

YES - there is a way ... Whether it is a human child or a dog - you build confidence through LOVE & RESPECT ... with consistency & patience ... and most important - you build confidence in a dog when you spend time with the dog ... the more time you spend with a dog - the healthier and more confident the dog will get ...

Just look around ... and you will surely see ... the most confident, friendly & sociable dogs ALWAYS belong to owners who spend plenty of time playing & training their furry friends ...

Imagine ... if you take your dog for a walk WITHOUT FAIL ... everyday ...

First, just a short distance from the house & when your doggie gets scared, you return to the house - but after returning - you continue playing with her for another hour or so ...

Next day - you take her for a walk again ... and repeat the programme ... gradually increasing the distance from the house a little each day ... Encouraging her all the time with lots of praise & treats ...

In one month, what do you think the result will be? ... If done consistently - I believe you will have a confident dog .

Cheers

yst323
Old Kaki

Nov 29, 2004, 5:42 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need help on rescued rottie mixed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Thank you so much on your advise...

I have printed out this mail and certainly will follow and hope she will progress slowly...

thanks again

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 29, 2004, 10:22 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1818 views)
Shortcut

You are most welcome ... all the best ... and hugs to your little dog ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my