Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Alamak! Ginger become sick after grooming!

wendy_h

Nov 24, 2004, 2:15 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut
Alamak! Ginger become sick after grooming! Can't Post

Dunno what happened! After JT on Saturday, I straight away brought Ginger (shih-tzu) for grooming. But when she came back, she's walking all weird till today. Then she wouldn't pee or poo until she can't stand anymore then only she'll go. And she's itchy, scratching and biting her neck area and toes and stomach and vulva. And when she walks her back legs are very funny like have to open wide to walk. And then walk a few steps have to sit and scratch already. Poor thing, how to go JT this Sat?

Finally brought her to see the vet and the vet gave her some antibiotics and cream.

Does anyone's dog suffer something like that after grooming or anyone knows why this happens?

FrownView Ginger's profile on DogsterFrown

FrownIt’s dog’s world out there!

May
Old Hand

Nov 24, 2004, 5:03 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendy_h] Alamak! Ginger become sick after grooming! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...

I never been to JT before so I wouldn't know how long it takes to complete the track. However, I think your Shih Tzu might have been suffering from stress. Overtraining may cause too much stress. A dog may quickly fatigue and become tired, which affects attitude and performance. Furthermore, a grooming session after JT make the situation worst. Both environmental and emotional stress may contribute to these problem. Environmental stress includes temperature extremes, humidity, overcrowding, exposure to infectious agents, parasites, contaminated water, and poor diet.

Though a little stress is not harmful, too much stress may diminish immune competence. Would suggest you to take things one at a time. If you would like to send your ST for grooming, you could do it a few days after JT.

Cheers !!

Golden Warrior

Nov 25, 2004, 2:05 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendy_h] Alamak! Ginger become sick after grooming! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually i think mayb she get cold from the grooming after you bring her for JT. i think it's not suggested that take bath after exercise, even human will get sick if you straight take bath after you do exercise, i think nex time you should let her rest for few hrs then only go grooming. Or did vet said that she get infected from jungle? should be more careful since she got long hair, little bugs might hide in that. Hope she get well soon

~~ World will never be the same again ~~
~~ Tiger & Baby & Fire ~~
~~ Huskies ~~

wendy_h

Nov 26, 2004, 2:10 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Alamak! Ginger become sick after grooming! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, the track definitely takes 1 1/2 hours but then after every JT, we bathe our dogs at home anyway. So I thought this must be the same case, instead of me bathing for her, it's the pet shop.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will do this next time. But I think the doctor said she's suffering from some cuts and abbrasions, so gave her antibiotics and cream. That was Monday and today, she's still like this...

wendy_h

Nov 26, 2004, 2:13 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Golden Warrior] Alamak! Ginger become sick after grooming! [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing is she's not showing any other symptoms of sickness like catching a cold or anything. She's still as active, only that it bothers her when she has to walk or run that she has to sit down and lick the part. Managed to see some scratches and redness and till now still like this. But I think holding back the urine and poo is very bad right?

But anyway, thanks!

May
Old Hand

Nov 26, 2004, 5:23 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Hi...

Bathing your dog at home and sending it for grooming are two different things. Petshop grooming can be very stressful for dogs due to the less familiar environment, strangers (human & dogs), loud dryer blowing and etc.

She might be suffering from cuts and abrasions from JT. Please continue with the medication and hopes she recovers soon.

Cheers !!

stoberi
Novice

Nov 26, 2004, 9:42 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2640 views)
Shortcut

hi hi...hmm sound very sad to hear bout ur doggy. Do u think something may have accidently bitten her at private part area? or maybe some insect or bug went in?? It sounds like that area is painful/annoyingur doggy thats y ur doggy trying hard not to pee or poo.. only when cannot tahan anymore then ur doggy haf no choice but to go pee or poo.. keep us at the forum updated ya... i hope ur doggy will be better soon.Smile

May
Old Hand

Nov 26, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2637 views)
Shortcut

Hi...

This might interest you http://www.vizsladogs.com/CLUBS/nva/nva6.htm. I'm not sure whether can it be found in the jungle but you could look into this.

Cheers..

wendy_h

Nov 28, 2004, 2:45 AM

Post #9 of 12 (2610 views)
Shortcut

Hi May,

Thanks a lot for the information. That plant seems so scary! Gosh....I hope they're non-existent in Malaysia.

But anyway, Ginger seems to be fine since yesterday. There's still a reddish patch on her vulva but she does not show any signs of itchiness or difficulty in urinating anymore. Thank goodness!

May
Old Hand

Nov 29, 2004, 5:00 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Glad to know Ginger is fine Smile.

Cheers..

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 1, 2004, 1:04 AM

Post #11 of 12 (2518 views)
Shortcut

i reckon that she was probably hurt by a branch or something. she could also be hurt during grooming (shaving). just keep an eye on her after the next trek...and also after the next grooming session.

i mention shaving and grooming session...since there was once that shalom went fro grooming and refused therefter to let me clean her bummy. i tot it was strange and proceeded to send her to the vet...she had a slight cut near her bummy when they shaved her or something.

anyhow glad to know that ginger is fine again....

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Dec 17, 2004, 12:50 AM

Post #12 of 12 (2365 views)
Shortcut

hi wendy,

well i dont thnk your dog is sick because of the grooming session...dogs doesnt have sweat gland therefore they wont catch a cold even if they are bathe after exercise... so far have not encountered tis prob yet.. i guess might be stress like what someone had mention.. maybe he was stressed out during JT or maybe during grooming... u might want to be more observant next round when u send your doggy for grooming to see...
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my