Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
4 yr old Shih Tzu won't use backyard for potty

grammachapstick
New User

Nov 22, 2004, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1027 views)
Shortcut
4 yr old Shih Tzu won't use backyard for potty Can't Post

I'm so glad I found this forum and am desperately hoping someone/anyone can give me a suggestion or two. I have a four year old neutered Shih Tzu. He's a wonderful little puppy, very gentle, loyal, loving, has only had one potty accident in the house since being trained. That was the day after he was neutered, and I couldn't really blame him for that one transgression.

When we got him we hadn't had a dog in over 30 years so I wasn't very experienced in all the ins and outs regarding training. It was the beginning of February and the snow was so deep we couldn't get into the backyard.

I started taking him out the front to do his business, and once he was big enough we walked a bit. The walks got longer and longer, until we were walking at least 2 hours a day.....every day. The problem is he will not pee or poop in the backyard. Well, he will if my son's dog has been in the yard, but that ends once the other dog has gone home. My health isn't good, I have problems with a brain tumour, vertigo, terrible pain and fatigue.

I found a post in the petshop that's supposedly impregnated with pheromones, and it's purpose is to train a dog to go in one specific area of the yard. Well, my little man just sniffed it and walked away. If I take him out in the backyard and say "come on, let's go pee pees" he runs to the gate and wags his tail. No, he's not stupid, going pee pees equals going for a long walk in his mind. I'm getting desperate because my health problems are making it extremely difficult to go walking every time he needs to go potty. I should mention, he has inflammatory bowel disease, yet he rarely asks to go out. On those rare occasions he does ask I know I best get out in a hurry. He's just content to wait for me to say, "okay, let's go outside go pee pees".

Does anyone have any ideas. I'd be so appreciative if you do. I'm tired of walking around at 10:30 p.m. every night with tears rolling down my faceUnsure. By that time of day I'm simply in agony, but I love the little guy, and don't know what else to do.

Thank you so much if you can help.

Gizmo's mom.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 22, 2004, 10:26 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grammachapstick] 4 yr old Shih Tzu won't use backyard for potty [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaah ...

Know exactly what you mean ... I think all owners get worried when our dog does not pee or poop as regularly as we think they should.

Normally - with a situation like yours ... I would simply suggest that you just not go for long walks and let the dog hold until it has to eliminate ... as in, let the dog hold until he has to go - which eventually he must ...

... but with an inflamatory bowel issue ... I don't know whether letting your dog hold might make the bowel issue worse ...

Maybe you should check with your vet on the above ... and if your vet says its okay - then maybe you can just let your dog hold until he HAS to go ...

Alternative suggestions:

(A) Control/time the food & water intake ... so, fed in the morning ... and no more water say after 4pm or so ... This way, hopefully - all the emlimination is done earlier in the day and will reduce the need to do late night walks. But again with inflamatory bowel disease - please check with vet before trying this method.

(B) One other possible way is to creat a "scenting post" ... Generally what is done is ... you collect some pee (if possible, from another make dog) and dribble the pee over a particular spot in your backyard marked with a post ... refresh the spot every few days ... hopefully that will encourage your dog to pee over the "other" dog's scent ...

The same can be done with poop ...

Eventually - what is supposed to happen is that over time - your dog is re-conditioned to eliminate at or around the scenting post.

This is similar to the buying scented liquid from a pet shop - but I am told that using actual pee/poop from another dog is much more effective.

All the best

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my