Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
my dog is getting more and more aggressive

janesaw
New User

Nov 19, 2004, 1:05 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3105 views)
Shortcut
my dog is getting more and more aggressive Can't Post

helo, i'm new. just joined. i have a male terrier mix poodle, about 1 year old. he's getting more and more aggressive nowadays. he doesn't want to go into the cage and if i carry him, he growls and bite me!! should i give him away? if i want to train him, is it too late? how do i train him? and he barks a lot too. is there a way to stop or at least limit it?? i'd like to send him for training classes but i'm in penang. any help?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 19, 2004, 9:00 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janesaw] my dog is getting more and more aggressive [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Use the SEARCH FUNCTION on top of the webpage ... and also search the relevant threads ... the issue of dogs showing mild aggression is much discussed ... and you will find lots of information available ...

Cheers

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 2, 2004, 6:09 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janesaw] my dog is getting more and more aggressive [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...

It's pretty normal for a 1-year old dog to behave the way your dog does. Puppies go through adolescent stage just like us when we are are teenagers. Your pup is testing your authority by growling & disobeying you. Try not to dote too much on him without making him do something. Ask him to sit before you pet him. When feeding him, try feed him with your hands, teach him the "off" & "take it" command. He will know who's the boss as time goes by.....Good luck!
Happytux

janesaw
New User

Dec 6, 2004, 6:21 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [happytux] my dog is getting more and more aggressive [In reply to] Can't Post

i am doing that and he is ok when i ask him to sit. he is just reluctant to do what i want him to do, like when i want him to go into his cage and if he's not happy, he'll growl. took him to a dog trainer and he doesn't want to train at all. even the dog trainer is afraid that he'll bite! now he asks me to keep him in seclusion until he's ok less agreesive then only take him for training, or else give the pup up for adoption. is it really that bad?

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 6, 2004, 7:58 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2899 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janesaw, I personally am NOT a person who advocates giving up a dog who is just "potentially" aggresive. Has he bitten anyone & puncture his/her skin yet? If not, I really believe that there's still hope,especially he is stil l only 1 year old . I am quite shocked to hear that your trainer had said that... Maybe you can take your pup to other trainers and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion...Like I have previoulsy mentioned, dogs that are 1-2 years old are just as rebellious as 14-16 years old teenagers.... I am speaking this from a personal experience. You have a very smart & stubborn dog - Terriers are pretty stubborn & poodles are very smart.. So, with these two breeds mixed together, you have to work extra hard to train them especially if you haven't had any experience in obedience training. I really dont think you shoudl give up so early.. You need to "consistently" show him who is the boss... Continue to feed him with his hand, use the "off" & "take it" command .. This is a good method to show the dog who is in charge of the food.. Also, before you feed him, you can stand in front of him, make him "sit" and watch while you eat a piece of biscuit or something. This is also a cue to tell him that "I am the boss, I eat first, then, you eat".... In the meantime, you need to take away some privileges if he already has like if he sleeps in the bed with you or sits on the sofa, you need to take those privileges from him until he learns that he is NOT the boss...

If you find yourself in a situation that you cannot ask him to do something without him growling, you probably have to lure him with treats or something he likes.. Say, you already know that he won;t go to his cage without growling at you.. Dont even command him to go to his cage. Instead, get a cookie, throw it in his cage and in a happy voice, say " doggie, go cage"... If he does, then, good , praise him... With this method, you dont give him a chance to growl but you are making the "go cage" command more pleasant for him.... This is much better than forcing it through and makign him more aggresive...
Happytux

janesaw
New User

Dec 7, 2004, 12:32 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [happytux] my dog is getting more and more aggressive [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your advice. i really appreciate it. like you've said my dog is actually very smart. i've tried the treat thing for him to go into the cage. first few times, ok but now, he knows already the treats and biscuits don't even work anymore. plus, he barks when anyone in the family gets up from a chair! why is he doing that? is there anyway to stop him? he's acting like he doesn't know the family anymore. i will never give him up for adoption and am willing to try anything to 'cure' his problems. can anyone help by letting me know where i can find another trainer in penang? this is my first dog and i do not know much. i was told that my dog's problem was because i pampered him too much when it was small. i do admit that i pamper him alot but i'm really trying to correct him now. hope its not too late.

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 7, 2004, 9:07 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janesaw, It's hard for me to give online advice and expect it will work since I havent met you or your dog. I certainly don't know how bad his behaviour is...Here's also another suggestion for you. Did you talk to the vet? Can he suggest other trainers or behaviour therapist for your dog to see? If you are new to raising a pup, maybe handling it yourself may make things worse... So talk to your vet and see what he says....Also, how big is your dog?
Happytux

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2004, 9:43 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

HappyTux has given you good suggestions ...

You posted: " ... i will never give him up for adoption and am willing to try anything to 'cure' his problems. can anyone help by letting me know where i can find another trainer in penang? this is my first dog and i do not know much ..."

First ... well done ... am very glad you will not give your dog up for adoption ... Smile

Second ... from your posts, I don't think sending your dog to a "trainer" is going to solve the issue ...

Third ... your dog DOES NOT have a "problem" ... the problem was created ...

As owner and friend to your dog - it is your responsibility ... to solve the problem that has been created ...

Suggestions:

(A) Start by learning as much as you can about dog training & dog behaviour - and the best way to do this is to get hold of a good basic dog training manual and a dog behavioural book ...

Try this webpage to find some good dog books ... www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A383ABZY40JIYO/002-4360205-7292053

(B) Also provide your dog with reasonable exercise & play ... A terrier/poodle mix is likely to be an active dog that requires a reasonable amount of exercise & play ... And as HappyTux mentioned, your dog is also likely to be very intelligent - and intelligent dogs get bored easily ... It sounds like your dog is getting bored and is not getting sufficient exercise or mental stimulation ...

If you train & exercise your dog reasonably every day - you will likely find your dog easier to handle ... A tired dog is a happy dog ...

(C) Start basic training with your dog ... Your dog also sounds like it is trying to find out its position within the family ... And if you don't establish your position as leader, your dog will assume that position and the problem will get worse.

Training your OWN dog is the best possible way (i) to exercise responsible leadership over your dog ... (ii) to teach your dog to "respect" you ...

If your dog accepts you as its leader & respects you - there will likely be no "problem".

You will need to remember that dogs do not understand human language ... so, you cannot use human language to tell the dog what the dog to do - you need "TO TEACH & SHOW" your dog what you wish it to do ...

For example:

*** For sure, trying to explain concept of "... go inside crate ..." to a dog in human language is not going to do any good.

*** And trying to force your dog into a crate ... is also not likely to work.

You need to teach your dog what you wish it to do, and identify your desire with a command that your dog understands and then you need to show your dog that obeying your command is beneficial to him.

You also need to teach your dog what you do not want it to do ... For example, you need to teach your dog that he cannot growl at you or any other member of the family ...

And the best way to do this is follow suggestions (A), (B) & (C) above.

In the meantime - you can try reading the posts below:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=63103;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=last;#last

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=68169;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my