Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Labrador new owners questions

buccaheads
Novice

Nov 17, 2004, 3:02 PM

Post #1 of 3 (376 views)
Shortcut
Labrador new owners questions Can't Post

Have just aquired a 4yr old Lab Retreiver that has been used for breeding guide dogs. I have a few questions to ask of knowledgable owners:

(1) Does having recently had puppies contribute to hair loss?

(2) How long does the hair loss continue?

(3) To what extent can Labs see in the dark?

(4) Does having had puppies make her more nervous than usual?

(5) She is already very protective of us and barks and growls at anyone coming near or into our home. Or is this also part of her protective instinct after having had puppies?

Any advice would be appreciated.

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 2, 2004, 3:21 PM

Post #2 of 3 (328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buccaheads] Labrador new owners questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Here are some tips to question 5 from personal experience. Your dog's behaviour could be due to her giving birth or other changes in the environment as well - like the presence of a new home i.e. new territory and new pack members (if she had just gave birth). Good news is that these problems could be solved through obedience training. With the barking & growling problem, you can try the "quiet" command. Try asking a friend to your house and have your dog sit & stay to welcome yoru friend. If she doens't bark, praise her & give her a treat or something that she really loves like toys. When she starts barking/growling, hold her muzzle firm (not too tight to the extend that will cause her pain) and say "quiet" in a very low tone voice. Release her once she quiets down & praise her lots.. I have tried these on my two dogs and it worked really well... Good luck! Hope it helps!
Happytux

May
Old Hand

Dec 2, 2004, 5:23 PM

Post #3 of 3 (318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buccaheads] Labrador new owners questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi....

Whelping can contribute to heavy shedding. It will last for approximately 2 months. You can expect your dog to come back to its full coat in 4-6 months after whelping.

Cheers !!

(This post was edited by May on Dec 2, 2004, 5:25 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my