Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Aggressive Min PIn

1minpin
New User

Nov 15, 2004, 4:43 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3017 views)
Shortcut
Aggressive Min PIn Can't Post

Hello. I am the proud owner of a new 8 week old Min Pin and have my hands full. He is very playfull and full of love.....when he wants too. He makes me very nervouse. If you try to handle him when he doesn't want to be handled (or even pet him) he will growl at you. He has bit my husband and has tried to bite everyone in the household. Any advice?

MisterStan
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2004, 5:45 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1minpin] Aggressive Min PIn [In reply to] Can't Post

hi 1minpin,

i only can give a little advice on your min pin.

What you can do is that everytime when he try to bite you, just catch him and give a light slap on his face/mouth and say NO.

THis is just to let him know that he is doing the wrong thing. And i think, after several times, he should not be biting anymore...

Well, you and your husband/you and your family have to cooperate to make sure he do not bite.. And to show him who is owner and who is the boss around. TongueTongueTongueTongue

(This post was edited by MisterStan on Nov 15, 2004, 5:47 PM)

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Nov 15, 2004, 9:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1minpin] Aggressive Min PIn [In reply to] Can't Post

i am not sure how about min pin temperament but all dogs need to trust the owner before albeiting to the rules.

yes u can follow misterstan advice but don't do too hard as min pin is very small though sturdy, u don't want to break her jaw later mah.

she is also a puppy and will bite a lot. she may have been removed from the mother very early so she has not learned the pressure of the bite.

the growl part is just being scared, see how her tail is tucked. puppy seldom get aggressive except when scared.

my GR used to growl and bite when she was younger and i was nervous as i know she is going to get bigger. but thankfully with proper training,

she now is better. as long as teeth touch skin, u use deep voice "NO" and give a little whack. later she will think biting means slap.

if u r too nervous, then if she bites, leave the room and ignore her. she will try to get attention ut ignore her.when she is better, then u

praise and rewards. he is trying to be boss in the house which he cannot. he is probably the bully in the litter.

hope this helps.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 16, 2004, 8:28 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL, hunter, RealityDreamer, ai-ney] ... Using coporal punishment when training pup/dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Those who have read the previous posts made in this Forum, will no doubt will have noticed that most of the more experienced posters DO NOT advocate the use physical punishment or corporal punishment when training pups/dogs ... and instead advise using "praise & treats" to train dogs ...

But perhaps the reasons have not been clearly set out ...

A little history

In the 70s, it was common to use "aversive training methods" (including corporal punishment) to train a dog ... Basically, aversive training methods means teaching a dog that ... when a command is not obeyed, something painful/unpleasant happens to the dog ...

And training methods (such as the Kohler Training Method) included the use of rubber hoses to hit dogs, hanging dogs with choke chains etc ... These aversive training methods also advocated "pinching a dog's ears until the dog cried" and also taught the use of what is commonly known as the "Alpha Roll" (using force to make the dog assume a belly up position) ...

Then in the 80s & 90s, the new movement of "positive training" emerged ... Positive training means teaching the dog that when a command is obeyed - something good/pleasant happens to the dog.

Prompted by new and fresh research into dog behaviour & psychology ... A new breed of trainers like ... Karen Pryor ... Suzanne Clothier ... Turid Rugaas ... Jean Donaldson ... pushed new boundaries, and started telling us that "positive" training methods are far more effective and less stressful for both dogs & owners ... and most important - safer!

Using physical punishment or corporal punishment of any sort on a pup/dog, carries certain risks ... What frightens me is when people use or advocate the use of corporal/physical punishment, without understanding what those risks are ...

PLEASE - If you are going to incorporate physical punishment into your training ... then at least do reading/research and understand what is involved ...

For example:

(a) If corporal punishment is used on the wrong dog with the wrong temperament - there is increased risk of being bitten. Used by inexperienced owners/trainers at the wrong time or in the wrong way - also increases the risk of being bitten.

(b) If aversive training methods are used on an already nervous or timid dog - then it can cause the pup/dog to withdraw even more, thus creating new and more serious problems ... Aversive training applied incorrectly can make a nervous or timid dog even more nervous and timid!

Aversive or corporal punishment applied incorrectly can make a mildly stubborn dog into a very stubborn dog ... or a mildly territorial dog into a dog that bites.

(c) When aversive training methods are used incorrectly by inexperienced owners/trainers - the pup/dog often doesn't even know what it is being punished for, and that defeats the whole purpose of training in the first place.

The rational for all the above - is simple ... if you threaten any animal - the animal's instinctive reaction is to defend/protect itself ... Self defence is one of the most basic of all instincts ...

When a owner/trainer uses physically punishes a dog, he/she is threatening the dog ... That a dog does not growl or bite under such circumstances - is testament to the good nature of dogs, and not to the wisdom of the human race.

And there appears to be a general misconception is that ... if a dog is hit or slapped softly - then its okay ...

On the contrary, that is probably the worse thing you can do ... Applying so-called "mild" physical punishment is usually ineffective ... and all it does is make a nervous/timid dog even more nervous or timid ... Or in a worse case scenario, it teaches the dog (a) to that your physical threat is wholly ineffective ... or (b) teaches the dog to retaliate ...

And if this happens - there is likelihood that the whole unhealthy situation just escalates into a full blown battle of will between dog & owner ... And in such battles, the dog always ends up the loser ...

Because if the dog retaliates and bites ... what happens next? ... The dog usually ends up getting abandoned or rehomed, or put into a shelter or worse - put to sleep ... for being aggressive! ...

The above is only a very brief summary ...

If you wish to learn more - please read ... Don't Shoot the Dog! : The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor ... Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson ... Dogs are from Neptune by Jean Donaldson ... The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell ...

Which brings me back to my usual bug-bear ... Please please go and get a dog good training manual (better still, get several) ... read the manuals from beginning to end, before trying to train your pup/dog ...

I am not saying that aversive training methods have no part to play in dog training ... No one training method works for ALL dogs ... All I am saying is that if you want to use aversive training methods - then you owe it to your dog (and to yourself) to learn all you can about how and when to use it ... and to use it correctly & properly.

Cheers

1minpin
New User

Nov 16, 2004, 6:50 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Aggressive Min PIn [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Its nice to know that this behavior if not all that uncommon. I really hope he grows out of it. We will just keep working with him ( Santana ) and hope for the best! : ).

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 16, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy, 1minpin] ... Using coporal punishment when training pup/dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Fully agrees with u SK....

Training a dog should be using praise n treats method just like how we r being trained at the OB training to do and it should NOT be instilling fear on our dog to us, the owner as that would make the matter worst when the owner does not know how to handle the dog in the 1st place.

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my