Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Sarcoptic Mange

Jennym0131
New User

Nov 13, 2004, 4:10 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Sarcoptic Mange Can't Post

We adopted a mixed breed dog from a not kill shelter on Sunday. After bringing her home and giving her a bath, she scratching like crazy. We thought it was fleas and saw the vet on Monday and got her on advantage. She seemed to itch more and only on three areas. Tummy, Ears and Back of Elbows... these areas were also scaly and red under the fur. We took her back to the vet on Wed. and she was diagnosed as having sarcoptic mange. We are just distraught about this!! They are treating with Ivermectin. One shot on Wed and another in 2 weeks.

What are the chances that we can get this? We have a 3 month child...is he more susceptible? Will steam cleaning carpets and washing her bed everyday along with vacuuming carpets everyday be enough to control this? How long will I need to keep this up? How will I know when she is over this? Is this stuff bad enough to just return her to the shelter or should we keep her? Please let me know your experience with this... what did you do?

Jennifer

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 13, 2004, 8:20 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jennym0131] Sarcoptic Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Your first Question ... " ... What are the chances that we can get this? We have a 3 month child...is he more susceptible? Will steam cleaning carpets and washing her bed everyday along with vacuuming carpets everyday be enough to control this? ..."

Just like dogs, humans are also susceptible to mite infection ... BUT ... the variety of mites that infect dogs/cats, and those that infect humans are different ... Although the variety of mange mites that infect dogs/cats can bite humans and cause red welts -like mosquito bites ... dog/cat mange mites are not well adapted to humans and cannot reproduce on a human being ... and they eventually die.

Suggestions:

(A) Ask your vet about giving the dog a medicated dip: ... Ask your vet about giving the dog a medicated dip with mitaban/amitraz ... This will remove & kill all surface mites ...

(B) Localise outdoors: While the dog is undergoing the ivermectin treatment - you can confine the dog to a place that is easy to clean ... the corner of an outdoor kitchen comes to mind ... Make sure the place is sheltered & cool ...

Wash the area thoroughly every morning & evening with a solution of anti-flea treatment (general anti-flea treatment will kill any adult mites that fall off the dog - you can find such products in a well stocked pet shop or get vet to recommend) ... Remember to RINSE the area WELL & remove all the medication before putting dog back ...

The above will localise the mites, and you will destroy any that fall on the floor, and reduce risk of cross over to humans.

(C) Indoors: In so far as indoor & dog bedding are concerned ...

(i) Spray the carpets with the anti-flea treatment or Baygon, leave for a while and then clean (whether by steam cleaning or otherwise) ...

(ii) Spray all dog bedding, towels, comb etc ... with Baygon or soak in a solution of Clorox ... wash & rinse thoroughly ...

Do the above a couple of times - that should be enough to kill off all adult mites ...

If you take the above steps - your family & baby should be fine ... so, not to worry ...

Your second Question ... " ... How will I know when she is over this? Is this stuff bad enough to just return her to the shelter or should we keep her? Please let me know your experience with this... what did you do? ..."

Personally, we don't see sarcoptic mange as something all that serious ... it's relatively easy to control and remove.

The first step, is to destroy the adult mites ...

The second step, is to break the reproductive cycle. Ivermectin treatment is quite effective in breaking the reproductive cycle and works real well.

You will know its all over when the dog stops itching ... and when the vet's scraping examination reveals no more mites on the dog's coat.

Cautions: But please - do not ignore or stop interacting with the dog while the treatment is continuing - Keeping the dog isolated or in total confinement will probably cause more harm to the dog than sarcoptic mange ...

There is little danger or worry for adults humans interacting with the dog ... just remember to give your hands & legs a good wash & rinse after ... a mild detergent will remove the adult mites (if any) ...

We have rescued dogs with sarcoptic mange and have successfully treated the condition ... it is really no big deal ... Smile ... So, do please keep your rescue dog ... And your dog will repay your kindness many times over ... Smile

If you have any worries ... you can email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my