schnauzer with brown stuff in ears

rags
Novice

Nov 10, 2004, 3:01 AM

Post #1 of 22 (17911 views)
Shortcut
schnauzer with brown stuff in ears Can't Post

Hi everyone,

My min. schnauzer puppy (3 months) has some brown stuff in his ears. He scratches it occasionally but not all the time. It is also slightly smelly, a bit sourish smell. My vet came over and had a look and said he (the puppy, not the vet Tongue) had an ear infection and asked me to get Otomax, which is an antibiotic for fungus. I also bought an ear cleaner which I have been using. Since last week, we've cleaned his ears 3 times but I still see brown stuff. I haven't used Otomax yet just in case it's not an ear infection or in case it's ear mites or other types of infection.

Our problem is, he doesn't scratch his ears all the time and it's not very smelly, though the brown stuff is always there. Is this normal? I understand that a sample should be taken for diagnosis before any medicine is used so that's why I'm a bit hesitant to use the antibiotic.

Can someone advice?

Thanks!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2004, 11:04 AM

Post #2 of 22 (17902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rags] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Otomax is ... a gentamicin, steroid, and clotrimazole ointment for the treatment of acute and chronic ear infections ... is indicated for the treatment of canine acute and chronic otitis externa associated with yeast and/or bacteria susceptable to gentamicin. By virtue of its three active ingredients, OTOMAX ... has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal activity ...

Some ear discharge is normal ... most dogs will have some degree of ear discharge that requires regular cleaning ... we clean our dog's ears once a week. And even normal discharge can be slightly brownish in colour.

But healthy & normal ear discharge is NOT HEAVY and does not smell strong ... just smells waxy & sometimes a little musky.

You are correct to say that a "sourish" smell is indicative that something is not quite right.

Heavy ear discharge can be caused by a variety of reasons ... from fungus, yeast or bacterial infection to mite infestation ... And some infections will respond to a particular ear wash and not to others ... Mite infestation require a different ear wash altogether (for example: OtoMite).

Personally ... I think Otomax is quite mild and it should be okay using it ... I would not be too concerned about the antiboitic element in Otomax especially when the application is topical (external application) and is not ingested ...

However, it does sound like you may not be too confident in your vet's diagnosis ... if so - and if you remain concerned, it may be best to take your dog to a vet you trust and get a diagnosis you trust ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 10, 2004, 11:08 AM)

rags
Novice

Nov 10, 2004, 5:40 PM

Post #3 of 22 (17888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi surchinmy,

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated! We'll go ahead with the Otomax since it's mild. If it persists after a week, then we'll bring him to the vet.

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2004, 5:45 PM

Post #4 of 22 (17888 views)
Shortcut

It is normal puppy have the brown stuff in their ear. You need to clean them more often. When they getting older the brown thingy will be gone. But you still need to clean their ear once a week.

I personally don't think is ear infection. Try cleaning the ear first. Don't use any antibiotic on them.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #5 of 22 (17877 views)
Shortcut

Most welcome ... all the best ... Smile

moca
Novice

Nov 26, 2004, 5:21 PM

Post #6 of 22 (17799 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Can any one recommend how often should we pluck their ear hair ? and what are the basics to follow ?

Thanks !

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=88728

Regards,
Smile Ben&JasmineBlush
www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=88728

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 26, 2004, 6:27 PM

Post #7 of 22 (17796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [moca] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess whenever you think the ear-hair is interferring with your dog's hearing or making her feel uncomfortable ... or when there is too much ear-hair ... or when you take your dog for grooming ...

Cheers

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 27, 2004, 12:25 AM

Post #8 of 22 (17786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [moca] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

Pluck one hair at a time. So your dog will not feel pain.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #9 of 22 (17215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

my oscar's ear infection not over yet.. i bring him for his 2nd jab n the vet cleaned the ear n pluck the fur again.. haiz.... n he ask me to apply the cream...... sad sad.. poor oscar.. his fur on his ear really a lot lo.. headbreaking saw him suffer during the cleaning process....

how frequent is the best for us to clean the ear and pluck the fur???

i dun wan my oscar to suffer in ear infection again! Mad

**A pet is a LIFE TIME commitment..**

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2005, 5:16 AM

Post #10 of 22 (17209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

Did the vet say Oscar ear infection again?

Usually I clean my dog ear every week.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2005, 6:09 AM

Post #11 of 22 (17201 views)
Shortcut

Obviously... it is infection.. the vet said his fur is very very loooong~~~ so ezly get infection lo! haiz.. it's my fault oso.. i dunno how to take k his ear~~~~ mayb i should get a ear cleaner?

very pitty lo. watch him crying while cleaning.. some more ears kena shave~ haiz...

i feel there is a big different in keeping pure breed than mixed breed... a lot of tiny tiny things to take k of~~ Crazy

elizatye
K9 Senior

Oct 19, 2005, 7:42 PM

Post #12 of 22 (17036 views)
Shortcut

there was a period of time, i busy on my work and not really take care of my ms's ear, when I realised, his ear is full of long fur and smelly terribly Pirate.. the time i cleaned his ear, my heart, just like you feel, pain lah... now i try to clean his ear weekly with ear cleaner... and pluck his ear's hair almost every month when i groom him...

try to clean your furkid's ear weekly and check on his ear's as often as you can.. if you really cannot handle it, bring them to the pro, like vet, groomer... learn from the pro... don worry and don give up, you can do it well...

Smile Eliza

coolio_2005
Dog Kichi

Nov 6, 2005, 2:15 AM

Post #13 of 22 (16985 views)
Shortcut

hi there... i'm also facing the same problems with my Coolio(Pug), 10 weeks old. this morning I send him to the Vet for vacination and d-worm. the doctor said that my coolio ears was infected with ear mites eggs. Dr advise me to clean it every 2 days. all the brown staff were inside the ears... aiks... kesian my coolio, his skin near his nose also infected....... the Dr gave me the ear solution drops only, but no antibiotic was given. any opinion?

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2005, 3:44 AM

Post #14 of 22 (16984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coolio_2005] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

Just follow the vet instruction. That will solve ur problem. No need antibiotic for curing ear mites.

coolio_2005
Dog Kichi

Nov 6, 2005, 5:23 AM

Post #15 of 22 (16977 views)
Shortcut

by the way.... should i clean coolio(puppy) ears before i put the ear drops for him? or after the ear drops only i clean for him?

thank you

(This post was edited by coolio_2005 on Nov 6, 2005, 5:42 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2005, 10:10 PM

Post #16 of 22 (16971 views)
Shortcut

I think the ear drop that the vet given you is for ear mite (ear drop) not the normal ear cleaning ear drop.

If that is the case you need to put few ear drop(ear mites) and rub into his ear and then leave it. Then the next day only use normal ear drop to clean the ear then again few drop of ear drop (ear mites) and rub and leave it. To this for about 1 week plus till you can't see any brown stuff coming out from the ear when you clean his ear.

Hope this help.

coolio_2005
Dog Kichi

Nov 7, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #17 of 22 (16963 views)
Shortcut

the Dr gave a ILLIUM EAR DROPS. is like a oil base liquid. i guess you're right, is a EAR MITES killer..

hopefully everything will be ok...

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2005, 6:27 AM

Post #18 of 22 (16959 views)
Shortcut

carinmanfong

the fur inside the ears have to plug all, which means whenever u see got fur which grow out to a length thich u can plug, juz plug it. Normally fur inside ears wont feel painful unless the ear already infected. Smile

Regards,

Yang

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2005, 5:51 PM

Post #19 of 22 (16949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks 4 advise.. but he dun let ppl see his ears.. will bite ur hand struggle struggle... haiz.. i think i wil ask someone to help me to hold him! hehe...any way. do i hv to buy any ear liquid??? if i use the ear liquid. does it mean i dun hv to plug the fur out? Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2005, 7:54 PM

Post #20 of 22 (16946 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Sorry for the late response ... Agree with Chrissong ...

Cheers & hope your dog gets better soon.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2006, 10:00 PM

Post #21 of 22 (16702 views)
Shortcut

nope the liquid is to clean up the ear, u still have to plug the furs. Tongue

Regards,

Yang

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2006, 2:46 AM

Post #22 of 22 (16696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] schnauzer with brown stuff in ears [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
nope the liquid is to clean up the ear, u still have to plug the furs. Tongue

icic... i send my dog to grooming. so no prob d~~:)

hehe

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my