Problem walking the dog

rayttp
Novice

Nov 9, 2004, 11:54 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Problem walking the dog Can't Post

Hi,

Currently, I owned a lovely mongrel and he is about 1 year old but my problem is walking him. He tend to pull me when we go for a walk. I have seen some other dogs that walk nicely beside his/her owner. Can anyone please advice me. Thanks

Regards,

Ray

MisterStan
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2004, 12:29 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rayttp] Problem walking the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ray

my 6 months + puppy also like that, would not walk beside me, but he would not pull me lah.

puppies r energetic, that is why they walk in front, but after some time, they will walk beside lah.

but i think when dogs are around, they tend walk fast fast. TongueTongueTongueTongue

rayttp
Novice

Nov 10, 2004, 1:05 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Problem walking the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Stan,

I guessed you are right. I guess puppies are tend to be playful. I can see that you have a lovely beagle. Smile But I really would like to train my dog to walk nicely instead of pulling. I feel that it is dangerous for elder people or children to walk the dog if the dog behave that manner.

Regards,

Ray.

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2004, 1:19 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1192 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Stan,

I guessed you are right. I guess puppies are tend to be playful. I can see that you have a lovely beagle. Smile But I really would like to train my dog to walk nicely instead of pulling. I feel that it is dangerous for elder people or children to walk the dog if the dog behave that manner.

Regards,

Ray.

hi.. my taro also notty but.. but i am locky that he never pull me when i bring him out for walk walk...

i am not sure i use a coke chain on him since he is 2 mths old.. and its the reason or i am lucky. but u can try this.. and this is also the way... before teaching ur dog to heel.. i think should let him know he shouldn't pull u..

put him on a choke chain.. in a 'P' way, bring him out a walk.. if he pull, u just stand still... don't move at all.. don't do anything... until he sit down or come back to u..

once he sit or look at u and wait.. lost the leash and goes on.. slowly he will learn.. he pull = no fun, no walk. coz u don't do anything..he will realise thats not ur force... but this take time ok.. coz he oledi 1 yr old..

good luck ah!

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!
THE BULLDOG STATION **drop us a visit **
PHOTO ALBUM : PUPPY.COM & OTHERS
Ref: Pg 18; 19

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

MisterStan
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2004, 1:32 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1191 views)
Shortcut

well, you might want to think about sendinig your puppy for obedience training. i bet your puppy sure be obedience after the training. SmileSmileSmile

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Nov 10, 2004, 4:21 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1189 views)
Shortcut

i suggest u get a choke chain for him. u have to use it properly so u won't choke him. if he pulls, just stand still, he will reach the end of the leash and think "what was that". do this a lot of time every day till she gets the message that if he don't walk alongside of u, there will be no walks.

or u can also hold a treat in front of her face and say words like "let's go" and walk alongside. if she walks alongside of u, praise her really well.

she will eventually get the picture. choke chain is a good invention. my puppy is 4 months and she does pulls on the leash sometimes when she sees a cat:) we don't put a choke chain with her but verbal. she has a normal collar, and we do a snap and release command with verbal..so if ur doggie listens to u, it will be easier to train her. heel and watch me is a good command when walking.

good luck!

Sydney
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2004, 5:56 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ray,

You need to control your dog when walking and also inside the house. My 6 months+ silky doesnt do that because he is almost fully trainnedSmile. A WELL TRAINNED DOG always dont do like that. She/he knows that their owners doesnt like that so they must obey. Your mongrel isnt trainned right?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

yst323
Old Kaki

Nov 10, 2004, 8:30 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1176 views)
Shortcut

Hi...
I'm facing the same problem with my going 2 yrs old terrior cross. What Bull Lover and Kelsey said are correct...used choke chain and she pulls u, stop moving and just let her stop...when she stops pulling, walk with her again...I believe she will pull again once u move forward...stop again... It gonna takes long time before she gets the message coz she already adult dog... I still haven't solve the problem yet but gradually..

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2004, 9:22 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yst323] Problem walking the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

yes i think bibi still need time lah.. hey bibi listen to ur fei jai one ah.. she is good girl..

ohh how is her neck ah!

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!
THE BULLDOG STATION **drop us a visit **
PHOTO ALBUM : PUPPY.COM & OTHERS
Ref: Pg 18; 19

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

yst323
Old Kaki

Nov 10, 2004, 10:26 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bull Lover] Problem walking the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

her neck is ok liao but then ever since she kena langgar, she behaves a bit different liao...hope she is ok lah...

She listens meh...coz when we bring her out for walk, she will pull like nobody business... but admit that we have to play our role here to persistently let her know once she pulled, no wallk walk loh...

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos

rayttp
Novice

Nov 10, 2004, 11:33 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yst323] Problem walking the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Will try the choke chain on x'mas and I'm planning to sign up for obedience class.

Regards,

Ray

yst323
Old Kaki

Nov 11, 2004, 6:22 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1150 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ray,

U have to be very patient with him....that's the golden rule....stop if u r frustrated...yaSmile

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my