Licking Problem

gege
Dog Kichi

Nov 9, 2004, 9:41 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Licking Problem Can't Post

Dear all lovers,

Anyone had any idea on how to stop your pup to lick everything.

My little one tend to lick everyone's hand, floor, table, chair and I mean everything. For long term this will cause Liver Problem which happen before. Now that she is cured but I'm afraid that the sickness will attack her again.
Cheers,
IV & NNee

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2004, 9:49 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gege] Licking Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Puppies are just like children ... they love to explore their environment ... feel ... touch ... taste ... new things ...

But puppies don't have hands - and so they use their mouths and tongues ... This is quite normal for a pup to do and why a pup loves to mouth ...

What you should do is to make sure that your pup's environment is safe for it to lick and explore ...

(A) Keep your puppy area clean. Remember to clean up the pee & poop.

(B) If you use detergent to wash the floor or puppy area ... make sure you go over the area with a CLEAN mop & FRESH water, and remove all excess detergent, soap, bleach etc etc ... Do not spray mosquito or insect repellant in areas where your pup can lick ...

(C) Do not let you pup have access to electrical wires, electrical plugs ... rat poison ... Do not let the pup have access to plants & grass if you spray pesticides or insecticides ... etc

Just take basic precautions ... and your pup will be fine.

Cheers

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 3, 2004, 9:13 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

You can try teaching your pup the "off" command.. When you see him licking things that it's dangerous to him.... grab him by the collar (dont grab it too rough though) and tell him 'Off.' Your tone of voice should be low and growl-like. He must know you are displeased with this behavior. Once hs stops licking, praise him, say "good boy" and give him a treat....This command would not only help you to save your furkid during emergency ( like when you catch him licking or eating pescticides) but will also help in the future when you want to teach him places that are off limits to him eg. furniture. bed, dinner table..
Happytux

mari
New User

Feb 13, 2005, 2:17 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1463 views)
Shortcut

I have a 4 yr. old ShiTzu who occasionally licks his paws, back paws only to the point that the pads get very red and sore. Can you tell me why he does this any any suggestions to correct? thanks

petsworld
Novice

Jun 28, 2005, 3:54 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mari] Licking Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi gege

This is a sign of skin problem on your dog. This skin problem will takes long time to cure and you need to control his diet. Bring the dog to the vet ASAP.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my