Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Rubbing in Poo & Pee

Brondie
New User

Nov 9, 2004, 6:41 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Rubbing in Poo & Pee Can't Post

I really need help here, My chihuahua has been rubbing himself in any other animals

poo and or pee, Please help me I do not know how to make him Stop!!!

Just the other nite we had some male amd female deer in our yard, he then went out for the last time for the night and he came in smelling so badly, and my husband and myself knew right away it was Deer urine and poo, he really does this mainly on his kneck.

What can I do? We have even chained him. I can't stand that! We have a very large yard and there should be no reason to chain or pen him up!! I really can't stand that!

Can someone please help me?

Thanks, PS.

Brondie this isn't the only time he has done this!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2004, 9:57 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brondie] Rubbing in Poo & Pee [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaah ...

Think this may be something you will have to live with ...

What smells bad to us - often smells really really good to dogs ... Tongue ... It is really just a dog thing ... and short of carrying out intensive training to teach a dog to resist what is natural instinct ... it may be easier and less frustrating to accept the dog thing ... Smile

And many dogs LOVE to rub themselves into the pee or poop of other animals ... Crazy ...

Yes ... it seems horrid to us - but it's perfume to a dog ...

Well ... your ChiChi is a little fella ... and doesn't really need a "big" yard ...

So maybe, the best and possibly easiest solution is to fence up an area (that is free from deer, deer pee or poop) for him to run in ... And only let your ChiChi have access to the rest of the yard when he is under supervision & on a leash ...

Cheers

Brondie
New User

Nov 10, 2004, 1:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Rubbing in Poo & Pee [In reply to] Can't Post

Surchinmy,

Smile Thanks so much for the advice, and I think you are right!WinkMy hubbie and I were talking, and putting up a small fenced area doesn't seem like a bad idea. We have put a run line in for him thinking we could keep him in one small area that way, but he really hates that thing. I think he isn't going to like a fence either but we have to do something. Unless he would like to take a bath twice aday,SlySlySly He has done it twice in one day at different places. However really appreciate you taking the time to help. This is the 1st dog I have ever owned and we paid alot of money for this little fellow and there is just no way I would ever give him up over anything like that. I did buy a book about small dogs but it doesn't say a thing about that. I know very little about dogs but I am learning. One more thing how do you know what kind on temperament your dog has? He growled at me the other day when I was drying him off or is there a way to know?

Bye for Now,

Brondie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2004, 7:24 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brondie] Rubbing in Poo & Pee [In reply to] Can't Post

*Smile* ... Understand what you mean ... the first time it happened to us - we were like aghast!!! ... and we were wondering like ... what's wrong with our dog ... ugggh ...

But it is a doggie thing ... And most dog behavioural books will have a little section on dogs, scents and what they do when they find an interesting scent ...

You don't say how old your male dog is ... some male dogs as they leave puppyhood and approach maturity - will try to challenge the owner's authority, and establish their own position within the family structure ... and a little growling may take place ...

... under those circumstances, some growling is by itself not indicative of bad temperament ... this is more likely to be an issue of dominance - another doggie thing.

But that being said ... when dominance rears its head - you do need to establish your good proper authority & leadership over the dog ... to ensure that the dog does not assume that he is in charge of you ...

*** Do get a good dog behaviour & a good dog training book ... Check Amazon.com for reviews, and decide which book is good for you. Amazon has a very comprehensive list of dog books. You can try starting here: www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A383ABZY40JIYO/103-4058717-4146248

*** In the meantime use the Search Function at the top of this website ... and search the posts/threads on "dominance" ... "growling" ... and training the command "NO" ... These topics have been much discussed, and lots of information available.

Generally - we handle our dogs a lot ... starting immediately from when we get our dogs (at whatever age) we play with their paws, ears, teeth, mouth ... etc etc ... and by so doing, we get the dog used to our touch and movements ... instilling a bond of trust - between owner & dog, and reducing chance and inclination for dog to resist our handling ...

Together with lots of handling ... we almost never administer any form of physical punishment to dogs - and on the rare occassion it occurs, it is for the most extreme form of unacceptable behaviour from the dog - like threatening to bite another dog ...(the owner must know clearly how, when & why) ... By keeping such faith - our dogs learn never to fear our touch or our hands.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 10, 2004, 7:27 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my