Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
too late pee/poo training for 2mths old?

tracky
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2004, 10:10 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2727 views)
Shortcut
too late pee/poo training for 2mths old? Can't Post

is it too late to hav "pee/poo training" for 2mths old puppy?

i just got a new member at my home...

a 2mths plus old "English Cocker Spaniel"

same as other puppy... the fellow pee/poo everywhere...

so what should i do now?

1. any BEST way to train?

- should i have to buy a plastic plate for him to pee/poo?

2. wat kind of Vaccination should have?

3. Any Other thing i hav to take care?

4. how many meal a day should i giv him?

- after how long he will pee/poo after meal?

- quantity of the food?

i dun blame to my puppy cause he is still new in my house... but i need to train him to reduce my problem to clean those gold... Unimpressed

any other English Cocker Spaniel here?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2004, 10:18 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tracky] too late pee/poo training for 2mths old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

1. is it too late to hav "pee/poo training" for 2mths old puppy?

No ... never too late to train a dog to do anything ... Smile

Sometimes its too late to train a human being ... Tongue ... but dogs. they are special ... can train anytime ...

2. any BEST way to train? - should i have to buy a plastic plate for him to pee/poo?

No ... there is no need to get a plastic plate ...

There are proper ways to teach a dog how to pee & poop in the correct place ...

The best way for you to learn the correct methods to "house train" a dog is to:

(a) Get a good dog training manual ...

(b) After you have read your training book - do basic research on the internet ...

(c) Use the Search Function above, and search the words "house training" in this Forum ... this topic has been much discussed & you will find much information.

I personally believe that getting a good dog training manual will be most helpful - and there are many good books available locally at MPH, Times & Kinokuniya ... Go check them out ... You can do research on Amazon.com & read the reviews before buying.

3. wat kind of Vaccination should have?

Check with your vet ... Your pup should start its course of vaccinations at 8 weeks.

4. how many meal a day should i giv him? - after how long he will pee/poo after meal? - quantity of the food?

Once again ... I will suggest getting a good book on how to take care of puppies ... Very useful, will be worth every sen!

As a general rule of thumb ... A pup should be fed small meals - between 3 and 4 times a day until about 7/8 weeks ... then 3 meals until 6months or so ... And after that, 2 meals a day until about 12 months ... After that - depending on the breed & size, you can reduce to one meal a day or maintain with 2 smaller meals a day ...

How much to feed? ... Cannot say, depends on pup, breed and/or size ... Follow the guidelines on the back of your dog food pack, or ask your vet or an experience dog person who has seen your pup.

5. Any Other thing i hav to take care?

Yes ... spend lots of time with your pup ... and give it lots of love ... because your pup will love you all the rest of its life.

Cheers ... and have good times with your dog

tracky
Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2004, 7:55 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] too late pee/poo training for 2mths old? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear surchinmy

tq for ur reply!!!

i having 2 months plus old english cocker spaniel, 4 meal a day now but he getting eat less... seem wana change to 3 meal a day...

my new problem to solve here:

- barking at mid-night...

- still in the process of teaching him pee/poo at correct place..

Q2.

if i buy a plastic plate... do u think it is possible to teach him to pee/poo on the plastic plate?

Q3.

i giv some puppy dry food for him... so should i need any other food for him oso?

Q4.

my puppy grow very fast la! so scary! as fast as i can c the size r getting bigger!

(although i c him everyday!!!) is it normal?ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 13, 2004, 8:36 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2662 views)
Shortcut

my new problem to solve here: - barking at mid-night ...

At about 6 to 8weeks - a pup starts to take more interest in its surroundings and be more aware of what is happening ... and at this time a pup also learns to bark and growl etc etc ... And sometimes will bark at night when it is left alone ...

Suggestions: (A) Play with your pup just before its bedtime and tire it out ... then the pup is more likely to sleep through the night ... (B) Make sure you give your pup a chance to pee & poop, so that it does not bark because it needs to eliminate ... (C) Leave some chew toys with the pup, so that the pup has something to do if it wakes up at night ...

If you do the above - the pup will soon learn to keep quiet at night ...

Q2. if i buy a plastic plate... do u think it is possible to teach him to pee/poo on the plastic plate?

Teaching a pup to pee & poop in a designated area is good enough ... Trying to teach a pup to pee & poop on a plate is possible but will require a lot of training, time & patience on the part of the owner. I would think it's kinda hard for a dog to aim on a plate ... Tongue

Q3. i giv some puppy dry food for him... so should i need any other food for him oso?

Our personal preference is to also feed a dog freshly prepared foods ... We think that is much better and healthier than just giving dry dog food or kibble. Use Search Function and check the posts/threads on BARF ... freshly prepared foods ... and recipes for dogs.

Q4. my puppy grow very fast la! so scary! as fast as i can c the size r getting bigger

All pups grow very fast ... that is normal ... Imagine - a new born pup will fit into your palm and by 10 to 12 months - it will be mostly full grown.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 13, 2004, 8:37 AM)

tracky
Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2004, 8:42 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] too late pee/poo training for 2mths old? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha..

now he sleep like pig... but later dono wat will happen la..

can we feed pup by the fresh milk that we can buy at sundry shop? e.g. a bottle of dutch lady fresh milk?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 13, 2004, 8:48 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Ah ... NO, should not feed a pup with milk meant for people ... Milk for humans contain too much lactose & can cause upset stomach in dogs.

If you wish to give milk - then get milk powder formulated for dogs (can find in any well stocked pet shop).

Cheers

tracky
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2004, 7:34 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Crazydude...

TQ for replying me..

now..my pipi some time he will biz in the idea place..but some time not..

the most scary is he stepping on his own poo/pee....Crazy

dono weather he is laying on his own poo or not oso!

UnimpressedUnsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 14, 2004, 7:42 AM

Post #8 of 13 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Well mate ...

Successful house training a dog takes time ... consistency ... repetition ... patience ... But first and foremost, the dog owner has to know and understand what house training is all about ...

There are correct ways to house train and incorrect ways ... suggest you learn the correct methods of teaching your dog where to pee & poop ... that'll make life much easier ...

Check the post above ...

The best way for you to learn the correct methods to "house train" a dog is to:

(a) Get a good dog training manual - and there are many good books available locally at MPH, Times & Kinokuniya ... Go check them out ... You can do research on Amazon.com & read the reviews before buying.

(b) After you have read your training book - do basic research on the internet ...

(c) Use the Search Function above, and search the words "house training" in this Forum ... this topic has been much discussed & you will find much information.

This is a nice long weekend ... go check out the book shops ... and use the search function ... all the information you need is there ...

Cheers mate

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 14, 2004, 7:44 AM)

candy722
Novice

Nov 15, 2004, 11:49 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2613 views)
Shortcut

It is never too late to potty train dogs even if they're a year old.

To be on the safe side DHLP-P and bordetella shots should be given at 8 weeks.

barking in the middle of night happens when their bored, attention and left alone. Most of the time they cry in the middle of the night because they have gone potty and they don't want to be in a stinky area. So it's time to wake up and clean it up. There is no way that you can tire your pup out even if you make them go to sleep late. They are very consistant of waking you up every 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. Trust me, been there , done that. The older they get they will be able to sleep longer. They are just like human babies.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 16, 2004, 1:49 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [candy722] too late pee/poo training for 2mths old? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is never too late to potty train dogs even if they're a year old.

To be on the safe side DHLP-P and bordetella shots should be given at 8 weeks.

barking in the middle of night happens when their bored, attention and left alone. Most of the time they cry in the middle of the night because they have gone potty and they don't want to be in a stinky area. So it's time to wake up and clean it up. There is no way that you can tire your pup out even if you make them go to sleep late. They are very consistant of waking you up every 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. Trust me, been there , done that. The older they get they will be able to sleep longer. They are just like human babies.

Hi ...

On training: Please read the earlier post "... 1. is it too late to hav "pee/poo training" for 2mths old puppy? ... No ... never too late to train a dog to do anything ..."

On vaccinations: Please read the earlier post " ... 3. wat kind of Vaccination should have? Check with your vet ... Your pup should start its course of vaccinations at 8 weeks ..."

Suggest you research the latest views on vaccination protocals re Bordetella ... might be of some interest.

On exercise & less barking at night: You say it does not work, and that I am to trust you because you have been there done that ... Tongue ... Well, what can I say, in the face of such experience & certainty ...

Cheers

GSD
Dog Kichi

Jan 1, 2005, 8:39 AM

Post #11 of 13 (2502 views)
Shortcut

never too late to train your pup, I trained my pup poo/pee only when she is 7 months. Result up to now, not too bad. Cool

Steven
Penang Island.

tracky
Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2005, 6:09 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSD] too late pee/poo training for 2mths old? [In reply to] Can't Post

my pipy doing ok for the pee/poo now...

but he seem not good in peeing .... cause he quite often peeig in the cage...

(better than last time... he pee/poo everywhere...)

he know to poo on the correct spot...

now i hope he can pee on the correct spot oso..

4mths old now..

IHeartShihpoo
Novice

Jan 4, 2005, 10:06 AM

Post #13 of 13 (2469 views)
Shortcut

is it too late to hav "pee/poo training" for 2mths old puppy?

--> Believe me, 2 months is JUST the perfect age to start training. They are just developing bladder control at 7-8 weeks. While it is possible to train a dog at any age, puppies seem to learn the quickest as they haven't developed any old bad habits yet. It's like a fresh sponge in which you get to choose the information that he absorbs :D

1. any BEST way to train?

--> In my own experience, I found crate training to be the best method of potty training. When he could not be watched, I confine him to the crate, and take him out often for playtime. Everytime he wakes up from a nap inside the crate, I scoop him up and take him right outside to do his business.

- should i have to buy a plastic plate for him to pee/poo?

--> I asked my vet about this, and he said you should choose just ONE method of training him to avoid confusion. If you want him to pee and poo on a plastic plate, stick to it. And if you want to teach him to go outside, stick to that plan. In my opinion, having him go inside on plastic plates should not be necessary unless he will alone most of the day. Otherwise, it's much easier and much less of a hassle to teach him to go outside, where once he is a year old or so he'll only need to go outside on an average of 3-4 times a day or less.

2. wat kind of Vaccination should have?

--> He should have booster shots up to 16 weeks in 3 week intervels, and rabies at 4 months. After that, you should be pretty much vaccination free until a year of age.

3. Any Other thing i hav to take care?

--> You should keep his coat healthy but brushing him everyday, bathing him once ever two weeks or so and also brushing his teeth. Make sure you use a special dog toothpaste without fluoride, as this could be harmful to them. You also need to clean out his ears once in a while and keep his nails trimmed.

4. how many meal a day should i giv him?

--> At 2 months, you should feed him three times a day with 1/4 cup of food for each meal. Another option is to feed him twice a day. Once in the morning, feed him however much he could eat in 15 minutes (<--this is important) and in the evening, do the same. Make sure you take away the food after 15 minutes, but always have water out all day!

- after how long he will pee/poo after meal?

--> With my puppy Lobo, at around that age it took about 45 minutes for him to digest his food and go poo, and maybe 25 minutes to pee. It is different for each dog. Yours being a cocker spaniel, they are not that big of dogs, so their bladders are smaller. In that case, you should take him out 25 minutes after his meals.

- barking at mid-night...

--> Trust me, EVERY puppy goes through that. The reason is that they had just been torn away from their sisters and brothers. They feel very alone and a little frightened. The good news is that most puppies grow out of this behavior, while the bad news is for now, you have to buy earplugs and just ignore his barking and whining so that he realizes that barking and whining doesn't get your attention.

- still in the process of teaching him pee/poo at correct place..

--> Like I said before, this takes consistency and patience. Don't expect too much too soon.

i giv some puppy dry food for him... so should i need any other food for him oso?

--> Dry food is the best in my opinion. You could buy treats to give to him ocassionally when he does good things!

my puppy grow very fast la! so scary! as fast as i can c the size r getting bigger!

--> It is perfectly normal. Just like human babies, they grow very rapidly their first few years of age. Your puppy should stop growing anywhere in between 6-12 months and may even continue to grow!

AlSO, I just wanted to add that in the first month or so, you will have many UPS and DOWNS in training. You may have days where he is accident free, then the next day he pees and poos just everywhere. Dogs usually aren't reliable to house training until 6 months of age. It sounds like you're off to a good start, so stick to one plan and CONSISTENCY is also a big key to successful training. I wish you the best of luck and you could always email me if you have any questions :D

(This post was edited by IHeartShihpoo on Jan 4, 2005, 10:12 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my