Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
pus at eye and anus area

j_ove2

Nov 3, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1595 views)
Shortcut
pus at eye and anus area Can't Post

hi All,

jerrie's anus area is swollen and has little pus. there are 2 pus at the eye area. brought him to the vet today, the vet said may be due to several reasons. either food or environment. but i did not change his food. has been feeding California Nat all these while. Another thing is that the vet suspects may be the mange is recurring becos jerrie was down with mange 1/2 year ago. Now the vet gave him some anti inflamation pill and antibiotics. but after taking it. he began to itch more than before.

I hope Surchinmy or anybody with this kind of experience can help shower some thoughts.

Thanks.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 3, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ove2] pus at eye and anus area [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Sorry to hear about your dog ... Unsure

Just my thoughts ...

Given your description of the symptoms ... I don't think prescribing basic antibiotics or anti-inflamatory medication is sufficient ... I doubt that such medication is going to provide any kind of solution ... One concern is that giving antibiotics/anti-inflamatory medication will just provide temporary relief and possibly "mask" the cause of the problem.

I am not sure I understand your vet's diagnosis or explanation.

Some questions:

Anal Area

(a) How long has there been swelling? How big is the swelling? How long has there been pus?

(b) Exactly where is the pus coming from? ... Is there a cut/wound? ... Could it be an infected cyst? ... Can you call your vet & ask?

Eye Area

(a) How long has there been swelling? How big is the swelling? How long has there been pus?

(b) Exactly where is the pus coming from? ... Where are the 2 areas? ... cut/wound? ... Are you sure it is pus and not just an eye discharge? ... Can you call your vet & ask?

General condition

How is your dog generally? Active? Quiet? Is your dog showing any signs of discomfort? Is your dog drinking normally?

Did the vet take your dog's temperature? Was it normal?

All the best

j_ove2

Nov 4, 2004, 6:18 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] pus at eye and anus area [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Surchinmy for the reply.

The swelling at the anus area subsided. maybe due to the anti-inflamatory pills. It was swollen for 2 days. the first day, the vet squeezed out something fr the anal glands. then yest i saw the pus.

now i'm also using hibiscrub to clean.

it's not cut or wound at the eye and anus. the pus at the eye, the vet said can be due to many reasons. still not sure. must monitor if he reacts to the medication. or else, Dr Erni said may be mange again. If worsen, have to bring him for the hair pluck test in a week's time.His temperature was normal. but today his body felt a bit hot.

he's still very active. drinking and eating as usual. stool condition is also normal.

I will be using the lemon solution hopefully he wun itch that much.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 4, 2004, 7:16 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Aah ...

If the pus came from the anal glands ... then your dog may have a bacterial infection caused by blocked anal glands. Clearing the anal glands by pressing them should sort the problem out.

Most dogs clear out their anal glands naturally when they excrete ... but some dogs need some help ... If you dog suffers from blocked anal glands - then get your vet to teach you how to do it ... its not that difficult ... And then you can do it every few weeks and avoid any infection ... Normal anal fluid is darkish in colour and smells very strong.

If your dog has a tendency to suffer from bouts of demo mange ... then maybe suggest to your vet that he/she consider using ivermectin ... and clear the situation once and for all ... Search Forum threads for 'ivermectin'.

All the best

j9yne

Nov 15, 2004, 2:58 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1545 views)
Shortcut

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

(This post was edited by j9yne on Nov 15, 2004, 2:59 AM)

j_ove2

Nov 19, 2004, 9:26 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1501 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Surchinmy,
Now the pus are drying up. Do u mean that once we use ivermectin, the mange will not recur? becos last time jerrie was on ivermectin for 1 mth too.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 19, 2004, 10:46 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1499 views)
Shortcut

What ivermection does is this ... it brings down the demo mange infection quite effectively to a level that the dog's own immunity systems can handle ... Once that takes place, the dog has time to recover, improve its own health & immunity ... and after that with good diet & general good health ... the dog's own improved immunity usually ensures that the demo mange does not readily reoccur ...

With other methods - their efficacy is often not as good ... and reoccurrance takes place.

The other thing with ivermection is that - dosage & frequency of prescription is important ... and have noticed from this Forum that some vets do not prescribe the recommended dosage or frequency ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my