Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ?

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 17, 2003, 10:06 AM

Post #1 of 21 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? Can't Post

HI !

I just got my puppy last week and she has been adjusting pretty well. The only thing is, she has this habit of biting/gnawing my hand and fingers all the time. Should I stop it ? Today, she has been doing it very aggressively and I tried to tell her to stop but she doesn't seems to get it at all... What should I do ? I hope it's normal but I do not want her to think that gnawing/biting is normal and its ok to do so...

cheers,
minglmy

astrojulie
Novice

Feb 17, 2003, 11:47 AM

Post #2 of 21 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

At the age of 3-6 months, puppies fo through a teething stage which is much like humans'. When she bites you, tell her "NO" and gently stick your finger down the puppies throat for just a second (this is what the breeder and many books said, it's okay as long as you don't harm the puppy) and give him/her a bone to chew on. After their teething stage the chewing should subside, so yes, it's normal and you should make him or her stop it.

Cool
~Many Good Dog Years!~

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #3 of 21 (2838 views)
Shortcut

get her something chewable for puppies, or with dental-care....
when she bites, she doesn't know that will hurt you.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 18, 2003, 8:58 AM

Post #4 of 21 (2827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi astrojulie & ,

Thanks for the tips, she is just 7 weeks old and the thing is, I tried to tell her STOP and somehow, someway she thinks that I'm playing with her and I have bought her toys and chewable stuff but she still prefers my hands ! aiyoyo, am out of ideas already.... Unsure

cheers,
minglmy

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 18, 2003, 9:29 PM

Post #5 of 21 (2819 views)
Shortcut

Hi~

just 7 months? arh~~~ she still learning, might not understand STOP, but keep discouraging her to bite you with STOP until she could get it.
maybe the toys and chewable stuffs might a bit hard for her...maybe she feel more confortable to chew on youe fingers...more "flexible", and dogs/pups always feel comfortable to their "smell" . So after she bit you, she could still smell the "saliva" on your hands/fingers....

Just be patient, later, i don't want to see you post a message in the forum: "I miss the time my pup bit on me! and she's all grown up now!"Wink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

astrojulie
Novice

Feb 19, 2003, 12:03 PM

Post #6 of 21 (2806 views)
Shortcut

I still have the same problem with Dugan (my puppy), he always prefers to gnaw on my sweater or pants Crazy I tell him "NO" Very sternly and try to pry him off Tongue and if he bites my hand I grab him gently by the scruff of the neck and shake him (that's what puppys' mothers do to wein them from her). The thing is, he's only 7 weeks old, which is very young. They can't really learn much until they're about 12 weeks old, so you'll have to try and handle it until they're older. Make sure that you have many chew toys around. my puppy's personal favorite is a fleece elephant toy. If i squeak it, he'll come running and attack the tpy, and try to rip it's ears off or something Laugh!
~Many Good Dog Years!~

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 19, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #7 of 21 (2798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astrojulie] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaha ! this is exactly the same thing my mocha is doing... I have this ball for her and everytime I throw it to the wall and when it bounce back she will 'attack' it will all her might and play with it... she even tried to 'bark' at it when she sees the ball moving. Sometimes, she is sooo funny that she makes me laugh so hard ! really a joker in the house ! I have bought lots of toys and chewy stuff for her to gnaw at. I hope it helps. She is playing pretty rough these few days... dunno if it is good or not Crazy
I still have a loooooong way to teach her how to pee in the loo... at least last nite she manage to let me knows she wants to poo. Cool still peeing everywhere lar... how's urs doing ?

cheers,
minglmy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 21, 2003, 12:18 AM

Post #8 of 21 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, my dog use to have that bad habit as well and i thought it was normal. Not till i learn from this forum that your dog should not adopt this bad habit. You must be stern.... everytime i try to comb my dog's fur, she will start chewing and bitting the comb or my hand. I'll roll up a newspaper and either hit her mouth and say NO or just grab her and go NO loudly.. after a few tries.. she's good now.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 23, 2003, 1:49 AM

Post #9 of 21 (2767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jaz,

thks for your input, tried it on her but it doesn't seems to work coz, she is still at it...Unsure I hope she will stop soon.... coz, her teeth is getting real sharp ! Crazy well, at least everytime she starts at my hand I will not give her chewy bone for her to bite.

cheers,
minglmy

drew
ALPHA

Feb 23, 2003, 3:27 AM

Post #10 of 21 (2766 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

what i did to my doggies when they were young and chewing our hands was that as soon as they start chewing our hands we'll say No quite loud and then we'll give them their chewing bone for them ... do it everytime they start chewing your hand and give no chance for them to chew your hand ...

hope it did give you some help on my little knowledge! Tongue

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 23, 2003, 11:28 PM

Post #11 of 21 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Hi there! it's good that at least you give her the chewy bones to chew everytime she tries to chew on your hand, but you really should say NO loudly to let them know that it's WRONG for them to chew your hand.. of course this will not be an overnight thing.. give it a try for a few days.. consistantly.. it should work.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 28, 2003, 7:01 AM

Post #12 of 21 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

HELLLP !!! She seems to have problem understanding me...she is still at it and doesn't seems to plan to stop gnawing. Other than my hand she will have a go at it on my clothes now Crazy

I tried to put my finger down her throat but she will just try to 'wiggle' off and it doesn't seems to have any effect on her.

Then I have also tried to tell her in a very stern voice "NO" but after awhile she will just ignore it and have a go at my shirt all over again.... Even when I scold her, she doesn't seems to be scared of me. What should I do ler ? I'm running out of ideas now.

She will only chew on her bones when i gives it to her and when i do she will try to bite my fingers/hand instead of the bones....so tricky!!! Unsure advise and suggestion is much appreciated...

cheers,
minglmy

drew
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #13 of 21 (2742 views)
Shortcut

that happens to me also ... my Magic jsut love biting us ... don't know why but he really got a lot of scolding from us for doing that ... everytime he tries to bite us we will give him something to chew ... you should see , when we come home and open the door he'll start biting our legs to ask us to carry him and pat him !!! we are still trying to use the chew bone thing on him to stop him from chewing ... my peke also got the same problem. She btuie the cloth that we put on the floor ... she'll bite it and bring it to a place where she likes and enjoys and slowly chew it ... but she never chew our hand or something like that ... we also sued the bone trick on her and it worked on her and my other 2 dogs ... only don't work on Magic and i wonder why ... well, all i can do is keep trying and don't give up !Pirate

astrojulie
Novice

Feb 28, 2003, 1:34 PM

Post #14 of 21 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Puppies' mothers would grab them by the scruff of their neck and shake them to stop them from biting her, so taht's what I do to my pus. Whenever he bites my hand hard you grab him by the loose sking on the neck and shkae him. If you give him a good shake he'll stop right away! There are also some toys that dogs like to chew on. My puppy loves a fleece elephant we bought him, so a soft toy, made of something like fleece that's big and has legs or a tail for the puppy to pull and grab, will be an excellent toy for a young pup. My pup also loves tennis balls, and it can keep him busy for a half an hour! Empty plastic soda bottles are also great! They're tough so the puppy can chew on them, they roll around and make a funny sound which my dog seems to like, and they seem to be fun to chew for them. Just make sure that you're always watching the puppy if he's playing iwht something like a plastic bottle just to make sure he doesn't swallow anything!! My puppy also lieks his bacon-flavored Nylabone.

One problem is that since the day Dugan (my pup) turned 8 weeks old he's been acting really hyperactive and crazy, and biting a lot more. Is this normal? Crazy

Anyway, I hope that advice helps! Cool
~Many Good Dog Years!~

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 1, 2003, 4:39 AM

Post #15 of 21 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astrojulie] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Drew Chai & Astrojulie,

Thanks for the advise and encouragement... Sometimes just doesn't know what is right or wrong to do for them. Anyway Astrojulie, when my mocha turned 8 she has also turned all of a sudden into a hyperdoggie and becoz she was biting me so much more and well, since both of us is also having the same problem, i guess its the norm for doggie age to have the teething problem. Cheers ! Smile

cheers,
minglmy

astrojulie
Novice

Mar 1, 2003, 5:28 PM

Post #16 of 21 (2724 views)
Shortcut

Lol, thanks Tongue Dugan's acting really hyper lately, and he needs more excersise every day Crazy blah! So I take him outside and run around with him, I'd probably look rediculous to someone who was watching from teh road or something Laugh!
~Many Good Dog Years!~

hcyeap

Mar 1, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #17 of 21 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Dear Minglmy,

your mocha has probably pass her teething age by now...and through your description of the biting habits, I would think that it is out off boredom. All the advise given are very sound and adequate to break the bad habit of biting. However, I would like share some insights to this with regards to my own Pepperboy.

He likes to bite and ngaw at his mummy and my niece but not me. Why, I guess, my NO! is maybe a little more stern than his mummy's no no no no. He also listens to me more than his mummy who spends more time with him... which tends to make me believe that, it is how, your furkid view you.

Oh yeah, his chewtoys are effective only when you don't let leave it around all the time. Make your furkid ask for it and when it is finally given, it is usually much much more effective to serve the purpose it was meant for. Otherwise our smart kiddies will get bored with it.

Hope this helps. - hcyeap - daddy to Pepperboy Schnauzer

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 2, 2003, 5:57 AM

Post #18 of 21 (2717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hcyeap] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advise hcyeap....

I think one of the main reason was that I manja her too much. I do admit that with me she can get her ways (to a certain things). I did tried to say "NO" to her very-very-very stern but still... no effect at all. Crazy

I even tried to shake or even use the newspaper to spank her butt but noooo she doesnt seems to get it too. Am I being too soft on her and I should be more stern in order to train her properly ? UnsureI hope this wont be a problem for me especially when I will be starting to train her to sit, down, roll and etc....your further advise is much needed. Smile

cheers,
minglmy

hcyeap

Mar 2, 2003, 8:05 AM

Post #19 of 21 (2714 views)
Shortcut

Dear minglmy,

I am not really an expert at puppy behaviour and much of what I've practice, I picked up from books and advises. Tips such as eating before your furkid does, and ignoring them when they are misbehaving are often easier said than done. However, if you intend to have your furkid trained to fetch, pick-up their own toys, bring your car keys, such practices are compulsory to make them understand that their place in your home. Our furkids are smart in both the good and bad sense; and they know how to play with us with their beady eyes and cute looks.

If you had been in the past, been a little too manja, the process of correction will be a little longer, but is never too late. Do not expect that they will immediately respond to a louder tone, or a spank on the backside, if you have not done practice this in the past. If administration of corporal punishment result in temper, then she is in the opinion that she is the master instead of you, in which case, my advise is to be strict for here on. I can see you love your furkid, but you must now excercise discipline for her to change her bad habits. No, you don't have to spank her harder, but you must not give in to her when she misbehave. In time she will start to understand that you mean business and change for the better. Be patient and good luck

hcyeap - daddy to Pepperboy Schnauzer

ps: apologies if my words offend you in any manner; was not my intention.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 4, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #20 of 21 (2703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hcyeap] Puppy biting hand.... Stop it or ... ? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI hcyeap,

I don't feel that you are offending me at all. It is good to have another persons opinion on how to teach my furkids as sometimes, when we are in the situation itself we do not realise that we are actually spoiling the kids itself instead of teaching her. I really do appreciate your advise as you already have the experience so, that makes it easier for you to understand my position.

I have been spanking her and using the loud tone "NO" since I brought her home which was about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes, she does listen but not others times. When sometimes I spanked her a few times in a row especially for gnawing at my hand/clothers (after telling her "NO" in a stern voice) she will then bark at the hand which hit her butt...Crazy

Oh well, I guess I just have to keep trying harder until me and her got the right way. And btw, your further advise would be appreciated. Thanks again. Smile

cheers,
minglmy

johnaricka
Novice

Mar 15, 2003, 10:19 PM

Post #21 of 21 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Hi, We are going throught the same problem. Emma is an eight week old boxer. When we got her almost two weeks ago she would not play with the rubber chew toys and prefered our hands. I purchased some doggy stuffed animals since I thought maybe the rubber chew toys were to hard on her sore teeth. She loved them. I even pulled out some of my son's old stuffed animals (making sure that they did not have any eye balls that could be chewed off and no beany babies) which she loved since it had our scent on it. We tried the "no bite" ruitine and it wasnt working. I read somewhere to yelp "ouch" really loud when she bites. Apparently she views everyone as litermates. Pups will chew on each other to play and when they bite too hard the other pup will yelp. You have to do it loud and in a high pitch voice. Then stop playing and walk away for a minute. the pup will see this as a negative event and chew softer. It has worked for almost everyone in the house. My son is having a harder time with her. We are going to really have to work on it with him. He is hyper with her and isnt consistent with his yelping. He laughs and then goes back to playing so she has become a little aggressive with him and has taken on the dominant role with him.

She is getting better on attacking our legs when we walk though. We have told her repetedly "no" in a stern voice and I think she is catching on.

The newpaper ruitine has not worked with us. We tried once and she thought it was a great game. I would rather not use that type of punishment on her anyways.

Aricka

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my