Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
potty training

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 15, 2003, 6:40 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3416 views)
Shortcut
potty training Can't Post

i read somewhere here on Derrickok's advice to someone on how to train puppy to pee in the proper location...by soaking a towel with puppies urine and placing the towel into desired area ....the thing is, I tried doing that but my puppy, grabs the urine soaked towel, drags it out of the bathroom and plays with it. She normally poos in guest toilet but pees to her hearts content everywhere but the toilet...so, I put the nicely chewed urine towel back into toilet..let my pup sniff it....and now,with the towel inside toilet, she wont poo in that toilet...poos just outside the toilet. And she still pees everywhere she feels like it. So, how ah?? dont they poo and pee in the same location? Is there some kind of pooing and peeing rule with dogs??I've tried those training pads too...and she justs tears it into pieces.......Help me please!! Now, I'm forever with a mop in my hands!! And those special cleansers to wipe of traces of urine smell so mahal...and I have already gone through 2 big bottles! Again, HELPPirate

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 16, 2003, 1:34 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

they pee and poo anywhere to mark their TERRITORY.
Have you noticed that they will never pee/poo in their MAKAN area? they know that is HIS PLACE.
but they will sure pee/poo under your dining table (if without training during puppy period).

If u are using the absorbent pads, they are good, but not for potty-training. they are good for absorbent purpose. So, maybe u have to put old-newspapers on the pad and do paper-training for house-breaking. At the beginning, fix a place to put the newspaper where u wish him to pee/poo BUT that doesn't mean he will understand thats' the only place. So, try to follow him everytime he sniff, either bring him to the spot, or palce the newspaper under him wherever he tends to pee/poo.
Sooner or later, he'll know he has to go to the papers for "business".
Once he manage the paper-training. Then everytime he goes to the papers, PLEASE, take hiim out or bring him to the toilet. you may also put some newspaper with the pee's stain in the toilet to guide him.

Never think you could try "Go! go shee-shee in toilet." they won't get it without "step-by-step" guidance.

of course, different owner has different ways to train their furkids, above is just my little sharing of how i trained my .

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 17, 2003, 7:36 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx on the advice, will be trying this method.......when I let Bubbles sleep in the bedroom, she somehow found a place to pee and poo in my bathroom...right on my mat.....but not a drop on the bedroom floor....but during the day when she is zooming in and out of my room...she wont "go" in the bathroom but everywhere inside the room.....sigh....this is going to be a long, long, process, right??????Unsure

ashley
ALPHA

Feb 17, 2003, 8:45 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Hi, how old is ur puppy?? I also give my furkids paper train when they all 2 to 3 months......
May be u can do like that.... once u see her sleep quick long time u just wake her up and bring her to the paper which u wan her to pee there, if she can do it than u give some treat or praise her good girl!! This train must take long time and be patienceSmile
After she finish her meal than u try to bring her to the paper let her know that place is for her to do her business.... one thing is u don't simply moved the paper this will make her confuse and long time the place will got her pee smell and she will noticed that, that is the place lah!!Smile Enjoy ur training!!
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

cyphang
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2003, 6:35 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3374 views)
Shortcut

THe way I did it is to put Sunnie at her toilet place everytime I think she wants to pee, and when she pees I will say "wee wee". So now when I tell her "Sunnie, IN ! Wee Wee" she will jump into the litter box, though not consistent all the time. She sometimes pees on the newspapers around the litter box and lazy to jump into the box anymore.

She pees and poops at different place, she will not poop on the same spot she wee-ed. And she only wants to poop on clean places, so everytime after she poops i have to clean away the area or she won't poop there again....Spoiled brat, huh?
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 18, 2003, 10:50 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Sunnie sounds like Bubbles too..I have to clean her poo quickly if not she macam geli. I've tried taking her to the toilet and let her sniff around and I'll try to get her to hang around the area till she pees or poos..but now, she refuses to go inside the bathroom if I'm there. I've also put in sort of a litter box for her to do her business...so far, she has never done inside it but will poo (back then) around it..so, I took that litter box out..but left the training pad soaked with her urine inside the bathroom...then, she completely stopped pooing inside the bathroom...so, in went the litterbox again..she now will(sometimes) poo around the litter box..susah lah..and I realise any new area for her, she will baptise the area with her poo..like today she managed to enter the store room for the first time and I noticed she left "something" there to be stored up as well......sigh........Pirate

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 18, 2003, 11:07 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Bubbles is 4 months old now and has a mind of her own. She's a very active puppy and most times it is hard to tell when she needs to pee in time. She'll be running around and suddenly stops and pees. And whenever I carry her to her designated peeing area, she will not pee...she will tahan and tahan until I think she is not gonna do it at all, or until she gets really, really irritated then I let her walk out of the toilet....then boom! She pees right outside the toilet! Now, she dislikes it when i try to potty train her inside the toilet. Sometimes whenever I see her walking into the toilet, I'll get inside with her armed with treats (to give her when she pees or poos in correct area) but when she sees me..she'll walk out.Unsure And nowadays, I notice when she wanna do big business, she'll be running in and out of the toilet like mad several times then just poo outside the toilet. She normally poos inside. I checked the toilet to see if there were uncleared poop...but all is well inside......haiyah...I'm going mad myself!!!Pirate

ashley
ALPHA

Feb 19, 2003, 1:49 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles take ur time training a puppy is not easy!
some puppy very easy to train but some puppy are very naughty ! i'm not sure how they toilet train their puppy, cos i only teach them paper train !! Pai Sei Ah!Blush
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my