Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
help in combing hair around the legs

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 13, 2003, 4:36 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1746 views)
Shortcut
help in combing hair around the legs Can't Post

Hi ya.....My almost 4 month old furkid hates it when I comb her legs...and to make matters worst, it is quite matted..esp with all her running around.....I read somewhere that you should trim the hair esp around the paws..but how to do that instead of accidentally doing a kojak hairstyle?? I gently comb her everynight..other parts of her body no problem..only once I started on her legs.I cant take Bubbles to a groomer yet as she still has not gotten vaccinated yet.And how do you trim the nails? I a little bit takut..cause I heard if clip too short it will bleed and hurt......Crazy

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2003, 5:14 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] help in combing hair around the legs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Pebbles,

Check out this thread: Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails in the 'Dog Grooming' Section. Not sure about "trimming the hair around the paws".. but I think should be "trimming the hair between the paw pads"..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

ckbeep

Feb 14, 2003, 4:15 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles,

I usually combed the fur during meals Wink. He did not seems to be iritated by it so i guess it's ok. Or maybe you wanted to try this trick, try to place your fur kids on top of a table, and comb them. I agree with you that their fur needs to be comb everyday. I will try to do it as many times a day as possible. Wink

CkBeep

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 15, 2003, 5:58 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] help in combing hair around the legs [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink..okay, will check this site out...yes..I think it should say around the paw pads.....what is a good shampoo to use? And should I get a conditioner as well? My pup is a shih tzu x......thanxs for the info

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 21, 2003, 4:30 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Try this maybe it will work... put your dog on a higher place (eg. table) where it would be impossible for them to jump off, then they will not run about and you can take your time to comb. In the beginning it might not be that okay probably because your dog is not use to it and will snap at your hand. You then can grab her by the next and say NO loudly and if she does it, you repeat your NO again... i am sure your dog will get it that it's WRONG for her to snap. Of course when you try to comb, be gentle.. don't try to pull her thier fur.. perhaps you can grab thier fur and try to comb it gently rather than pulling them. :)

cyphang
Canine Addict

Feb 26, 2003, 3:16 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1687 views)
Shortcut

THe dog hates it more then its hair is badly matted. I didn't comb SUnnie's hair for a month and you should see the mattings she had ! She was crying and howling and biting when I tried to get rid of the mattings. If you can't disentangle the knots, just cut it off. Put her on an elevated area, like a chair or table. Most of them are afraid of heights. Ask another person to hold the dog for you while you try to get rid of the mattings. She will be in pain but it will be much easier once you get rid of the matting. Shih Tzus need to be combed at least once a day to prevent mattings.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Yeap, if the tanggle got too serious, just ask another person to hold your dog and cut it off instead... trying to comb the whole thing off is going to be tourturing for your dog!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my