Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Difficulty in house training for pup.

kbs
Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2001, 1:04 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Difficulty in house training for pup. Can't Post

I've just bought a 7 week old female Beagle pup and the pup is releasing herself everywhere except where it is supposed to be. I put her in a toilet with a litter box and the entire floor is covered with newspaper. The problem now is she is crying non-stop in the toilet and that has gone on for few days now.. Help? I used to have a dog before and when he was a pup, somehow the pup automatically recognise the litter box and it seems that this current one is extremely difficult. Is this the general characteristic of Beagle or is there another better method of house-training the pup? The pup now is releasing herself almost everywhere and I have no idea where she prefers. As from my previous experience of two dogs, all my previous pup seems to recognise outdoor as the idle place but this doesn't seem to apply on the Beagle I have, as she seems like able to release almost anywhere.. :(
Or is there any place I can send the pup for house-training? As now, when I leave her in the crate at night, she will cry and cry non-stop the entire nights and it goes on during the day.. or do I need to monitor her 24 hours?? to make sure that she release herself at the right place or is there any other better arternative? Comments and advice are highly apprecially.. Thanks thanks thanks.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Oct 27, 2001, 8:12 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2095 views)
Shortcut
Re: Difficulty in house training for pup. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you can try to see your puppies going to toilet patterns. Say maybe she goes after she eats or something and the moment she starts sniffing around, you quickly carry her to her box? Then after she's done, praise her and take her out of the toilet don't leave her there so she recongises that the toilet is the place to go and the other places in your house is the place to play. If she doesn't go, take her out, don't leave her in the toilet and try again later...you need her to associate the toilet with only going so it's better if you don't leave her there and expect her to know that she has to go.

Most dogs give signs when they are about to go..when my doggie wants to go, he starts sniffing around and his tail goes up..hehe..:)..you just have to recongise your doggie's sign and try to read what she's telling you...

kbs
Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2001, 11:17 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the idea. My problem currently is, as i am working full-time and there is nobody at home during the day. I know when she starts sniffing around, it is a sign she needs to go (I admit I still do not know her releasing pattern yet), but when there is nobody at home, I need to put her in a closed place so she won't go around the house and do her business. (That was why the toilet ;)) At night, I put her in a crate next to my bed and thinking that she might not do it the place she sleep as I constantly wake up like 4am in the morning to bring her to the litter box. But somehow, she still litter in the crate.. :( I currently has few guide gate placing in my house for her when somebody is at home with a litter box in place. But the moment I leave her out from the toilet or the guide gate, somehow she does not recognise the litter box or newspapers. I tried a few time placing her in the litter box like after her meal time or when she just woke up, and make sure she release herself before allowing her out. (It can takes up to 1 hour) and I am worry as I can't practice this during the day. I also came across the idea of bringing her along to work, but in Malaysia don't think is acceptable by the ppl around .. Any other idea?

Highly worried she will carry on this till her adulthood..

cdman
Novice

Nov 4, 2001, 11:12 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm....that's too seem to be my same problem of my boxer as well. If I let him go indoor, he too do the same. I've agree with rainbow saying. Just want to remind you that Beagles general and can be say worse problem is that they tend to follow their nose. And that can lead to some problem as well. Umm, oh yeah, beagle also a very frequent barker so and some Beagles's (depend on their parent) temparent is highly hyper-active which make them quite annoying some time. Still they are cute and intelligent!!

Gin
Novice

Nov 5, 2001, 9:07 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2075 views)
Shortcut

The common problem with dog is that they tend to do their business at places they have done it before. When you see that they stick their nose close to the floor, they are trying to identify previous places to repeat their business. On places that you do not want them to repeat, spray some chemical [which you can purchase from Pet Shop] that will remove the smell completely.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my