Hallo!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BLovers
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 4:46 AM

Post #1 of 44 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Hallo! Can't Post

Hi there. I am a new dog in the forum, my name is Doorman, a male 10-week-old Doberman Pinscher. My owners are quite new in raising puppies, can the kind-hearted people out there please share some experience and advice on how to take care of me? Thank you very much!

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 4:52 AM

Post #2 of 44 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BLovers] Hallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

hello BLovers and Doorman

Stan: welcome to this form. enjoy yourself in this forum and do join us for any events organized in the future. the nearest activity would be the jungle trekking tomorrow. location is at Bukit Gasing. We will be going in to the jungle by 7.45 am. SmileSmileSmile

Henry: Hi doorman, i am henry the male beagle age 5 months +. I am very active and love to run here and there. Hope to see you one day. Smile

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 5:06 AM

Post #3 of 44 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Sydney: Hi, if u have a female dog, it would b quite hard cs u have 2 raise the puppies. Breath some air through their mouth. Then they know how 2 breath.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 23, 2004, 5:17 AM

Post #4 of 44 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Hello Doorman,

warm welcome to the forum.... there is lots of section in which ur mummy or daddy can do some good reading on... anything just ask away. Smile

cheers,
minglmy

BLovers
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 6:58 AM

Post #5 of 44 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Hallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Stan,

You have an awesomely cute Beagle! Henry is very adorable! Doorman is only 10 weeks old, he hasn't barked yet... is that normal? Isn't he a little too young to jungle trek? Anyway, I would love to join you guys... but I have been under the weather lately. Will join you guys next time. Have fun tomorrow Smile

Yvonne

BLovers
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 7:03 AM

Post #6 of 44 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Hallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sydney,

At the moment, I only have one pup. I can imagine raising more than a dog at a time seems quite difficult since I am new in this area. Regarding breathing air through the mouth... what does that mean? Do I need to give Doorman some sort of "CPR"?

Yvonne

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 7:04 AM

Post #7 of 44 (1210 views)
Shortcut

hi there!!

welcome to this big family and hope we all can help u something and looking forward to share ur happiness.. hehehehe...

i am bully taro, going to be 8 mths old lu.. me don't bark much too.. i bark only when i see my food...or i want to play with my friend but mummy don't let .... hmmmm

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!
THE BULLDOG STATION **drop us a visit **
PHOTO ALBUM : PUPPY.COM & OTHERS
Ref: Pg 18; 19

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 7:06 AM

Post #8 of 44 (1209 views)
Shortcut

hello there. thanks for the compliment. your doorman also cute ekeke. Smile hmmm.. i think at so young age, do not bark so much leh. wait till 4 months and above, then maybe you can heard doorman bark ekeke. well, just make sure that doorman have completed all 3 vaccination and take heartgard, then only safe to bring him out. Smile if go jungle trek, beside bringing doorman for exercise, and is to socialize doorman with other doggies.

BLovers
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 7:13 AM

Post #9 of 44 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the help. By the way, I read that Dobes have to learn early socialization with other dogs as they tend to be quote hostile to others, is that what you meant, Stan?

Does anybody have a Dobe? Can you please share some advice with me... thank you Smile

Doorman: Thanks for the compiment, Stan! I only have one vaccination at the moment, will get a second one next week. I bet it's going to be "oooouuuuuucchhhhh"!!!

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 7:19 AM

Post #10 of 44 (1203 views)
Shortcut

doberman under working group??? or what group ah? sorry iam not clear about that.. u go under their group.,. then u should found more doberman there..

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

BLovers
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 7:36 AM

Post #11 of 44 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bull Lover] Hallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bull Lover,

Yes, Dobe belongs to the working group. Thanks... the info was very helpful. I still have questions:

1. Do I need to apply for a license for Doorman? If yes, what do I need to do? I live in SS2, PJ and where will be the closest center for this type of licensing application?

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 7:41 AM

Post #12 of 44 (1198 views)
Shortcut

for the best is u get him a license lah.. coz not expansive and u will not need to worry when u bring him anyway...

just drop in to mppj and ask them for a form... and u will need a signature from ur vet, a photo copy of ur vaccine card, and i am not sure mppj how much.. mpsj only $15 a year.. and see if mppj ask u for more info.. for mpsj i only need this.. and they will give u the license tag on the spot..

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 2:53 PM

Post #13 of 44 (1195 views)
Shortcut

sorry, i am not so sure about doberman but socializing your dogs is good. CoolCoolCool Normally socialize dogs are tend to be more friendly. well since you are staying in pj, today there is a small gathering (just for fun) at Honey bee cafe at SS2 near coffee bean. Do join us ya!!

tiloo
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 4:34 PM

Post #14 of 44 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!

Welcome to puppy.com!!What a cute dobe u have there!! I grew up with dobermans, had 1 mixed dobe and 2 purebreed dobes. Very beautiful, loyal and faithful breed. My mum used to joke that our dobe was my dad's first wife because she used to stick to my dad like superglue. Based on my experience, a dobe should be socialized and given training.It's never too early to train your puppy and the best news is puppy.com also offers obedience training now. You can read up about the entry requirements for the puppy class. About the dog license, u can call MPPJ at 03-7956 3544 ext. 148 (Bahagian perlesenan anjing) for info. Hope it helps.

By the way, I am the proud owner of Leeloo (pug), Pantai (special local blend), another furkid coming soon!!

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 6:47 PM

Post #15 of 44 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tiloo] Hallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

tiloo,

looks like you can open a pet shop since you are keeping more and more dogs ekekeke. Tongue

tiloo
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 7:22 PM

Post #16 of 44 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Eh betul la!! Rumah belum ada, anjing sudah ada 4!!!!

BLovers
Novice

Oct 23, 2004, 10:29 PM

Post #17 of 44 (1186 views)
Shortcut

Hi Tiloo,

Doorman: Thanks for the compliment Wink

Thank you for the sharing. Yes, I read about that regarding Dobe, that they are very loyal and faithful to either one person or a family. Maybe you can clear some of my doubts, or whoever that has the answers to my questions, please help me out here:

1. Can Dobe puppy drink milk? (I know it maybe a silly question to ask... but I am very new in this area)

2. How many times can I feed Doorman? I bought him from a pet shop and the people there told me that they fed him twice a day... is that sufficient?

3. Are dogs afraid of mosquitoes? Will they get Dengue Fever if bitten by mosquitoes?

4. How often should I trim his "nails"?

5. Since I am a working "mom" who only gets to see my darling Doorman in the evening, what should I do to feed him sufficiently?

Thank you guys very much!

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2004, 11:26 PM

Post #18 of 44 (1185 views)
Shortcut

ahahahahha. make sure your rumah got lots of space for these doggies ekekeke. TongueTongueTongue

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 24, 2004, 12:20 AM

Post #19 of 44 (1182 views)
Shortcut

yup u have 2 cs they need 2 learn how 2 breath.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

BLovers
Novice

Oct 24, 2004, 1:33 AM

Post #20 of 44 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Yeah... how do you manage to keep so many dogs at a time?? I have only one pup and it's been keeping me so busy

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 24, 2004, 1:50 AM

Post #21 of 44 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Hello Doorman and Welcome.....

I'm Tammy, the yellow lab and my owner's name is Hun.... gald to know you are eager to help your owners learn a few things hehehehe...... you're 10 weeks old? So cute hahahahah.....TongueLaughLaughLaugh

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

BLovers
Novice

Oct 24, 2004, 2:33 AM

Post #22 of 44 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Hallo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Doorman: Hi Tammy. You are very cute too. Thank you for the warm welcome... indeed my owner feels very at home now. My owner is quite worried about me, since she's new raising a pup, pls share your experience with her.

Yvonne: I still do not know how to breath to my pup's mouth, can you guys teach me?? From what I see, Doorman's breathing OK, do I have to do "CPR" on him? Shocked

tiloo
Novice

Oct 24, 2004, 2:51 AM

Post #23 of 44 (1176 views)
Shortcut

No lah, your questions are not silly at all!! In fact even though I grew up with dogs, there's still so many things to learn about them; and this forum has helped also. Okay to answer your questions, by the way, to all, please add on if you have more info :

1. Milk : Dogs and cats do not have the proper enzymes to properly break down the sugar in milk which is called 'lactose.' You may have heard of people who are lactose-intolerant. They are also missing these digestive enzymes. If the proper enzymes are not present, the lactose remains undigested and tends to ferment in the intestine and cause diarrhea. Some pets can tolerate a little milk, others, none at all. If your pet enjoys and appears to tolerate milk, you can give your pet small amounts. Better yet, give your pet one of the special cat or dog milks on the market that have had the lactose removed.

2. The puppy’s feeding schedule will be somewhat dictated by your own personal schedule. We do not want to leave food out for the puppy so that he can eat it whenever he wants. You need to be there for the feedings because you want the puppy and his entire body on a set schedule. This is best accomplished by feeding the pup what he will eat at specific times on a specific schedule. Puppies under six months of age should be fed three times daily; between six and twelve months old, two times daily; and once per day after twelve months of age. Puppies maturing into adults will naturally decrease the number of feedings per day on their own.

By feeding on a set schedule, the dog will then go to the bathroom on a more set schedule and make housetraining easier and faster.

Make it a habit to give the puppy some quiet time after the meal. Do not let the children romp and play with him for the first hour to an hour and a half after eating. This can lead to some stomach upsets that can sometimes be very serious. The puppy will probably need to go to the bathroom, however.

3.Mosquitoes can cause heartworm, following is the damage that can be caused by heartworm:

The adult worms can obstruct the different chambers of the heart and the various large blood vessels leading from the heart to the lungs. First, the right pumping chamber (ventricle) of the heart and the large pulmonary artery leading from it to the lungs becomes enlarged as the worms take up space. If worms die, they may follow the flow of blood into smaller vessels in the lung and obstruct those vessels.

In severe infections, the worms can also block the large vein (vena cava) bringing blood to the right side of the heart. As the blood backs up, the liver becomes enlarged and damaged.

In a tropical climate like ours; all dogs should be treated with heartworm preventive medication year round for life, I only know of 3 types

a) Heartguard

b) Interceptor (I'm using this for leeloo but a bit pricey)

c) Heartworm jab (If you scroll through this forum under health I think, you should be able to read about it, there are many pros and cons but be sure to read up about it and ask your vet to see which type of Heartworm prevention suits your needs best)

BTW, these medications also prevent other worm infections such as hookworm, whipworm etc. You can refer to the box. Puppies normally qualify for heartworm prevention at the age of 5-6months? not sure, anybody help!!! Or you can ask your vet, also be sure to ask abour deworming and how often should you deworm your puppy.

4. Trimming nails : I normally cut leeloo's when I hear her nails clicking on the tiles. She needs to be trimmed about once every 3 weeks because she stays indoor. Once your puppy is fully vaccinated, and you're able to take him out for walks, or stay outdoors,his nails will wear down naturally by the road etc. Be careful though if you're doing it the first time because, dobes have black nails. A bit difficult to see the quick of the nail. Get your vet to do it and explain to you how to gauge the position of the quick. (this was what i did the first time I needed to trim nails!!)

5. Sufficient feeding :

The amount of food given with each meal should never be dictated by what is on the back of the puppy food bag. That is a good place to start, but from our experience, many puppies need less than what is on the bag, and a few may need more. Adjust the amount fed to maintain your puppy at an optimal weight. Your veterinarian can help you determine the proper amount to feed. Remember to have water available with or immediately following the meal.

One of the biggest complaints that veterinarians hear from dog owners, especially those with animals less than 18 months of age, is that they never eat enough. The owners feel the dog is not putting on weight or growing as fast as they think he should. They are tempted to somehow encourage their animals to eat more. Do not do it. The growth rates and appetites of young animals on a good quality food are primarily dictated by their genetics. Do not try to make your dog grow faster than he should or into something he is not. This will only cause problems. Artificially accelerated growth leads to bone and joint disorders. Feed them the amounts they want and let their bodies dictate their needs.

Please check out this website for questions, I find that it's splendid and has helped a lot especially when dealing with leeloo's Hip Dysplasia. http://www.peteducation.com/

Hope I helped a bit with your questions, and others please add on any additional info u may have.

(This post was edited by tiloo on Oct 24, 2004, 2:54 AM)

tiloo
Novice

Oct 24, 2004, 3:11 AM

Post #24 of 44 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe, at the moment only have two at home (leeloo and Pantai). Pantai is going to be sent for fostering soon because she's growing bigger and noisy for this apartment. Paris my new puppy will be arriving next week, and Hannah the rotti is still with the breeder recuperating from some health problems before being handed down to me. So all in all, will have two toy breeds with me, Leeloo and Paris and will pick up the bigger dogs in January once I've moved into a house. By the way, where do you live? I would love to see doorman.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 24, 2004, 4:35 AM

Post #25 of 44 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha... Thanks Doorman... hmm.... your name is unique lah... got any special reason why your mummy give you that name? My mummy gave me the name Tammy coz I look very Tam Tam hahahahaha..... What you need to know ask lah...

Hun : Want to learn CPR for dogs? I know how to do it on both dogs and humans.... even choking methods too! And also how to save a dog after a drowing incident..... Why you want to breath to your pup's mouth?

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my