Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others?

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Feb 10, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2537 views)
Shortcut
Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others? Can't Post

Hi everybody with experiences with more than a pup right now.. kindly advise me :

Is it the dog that moving in first will always be the dominant of others who move in later?

or

Is it the biggest size dog will always be the dominant of others small size dog like toy dog?

Because I am thinking to get a small pup in soon and I am not sure how should I handle 2 dogs at the same times.. who shall I feed first?
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 3, 2003, 10:59 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Shirley,

I don't own 2 or more dogs but I read that size doesn't really matter when it comes to dominance...it's the character and temperament of a dog that makes it more dominant....in one forum i've been to, a lady has a JRT and 3 GSDs and the JRT rules the pack! Shocked

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Mar 3, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ginl,

Thanks for your reply.Laugh If that is the case I am more worry. I think then the 2 will fight too see who is dominant right??Unsure
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 4, 2003, 9:24 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well the best thing to do is to assess your current dog's temperament first b4 u choose your new puppy...if your current dog is the dominant type then u shd definately pick a more submissive puppy and vice versa....if your current dog is dominant and u bring in another dominant pup then you are asking for trouble....signs of dominant dogs are confident look when you approach them (head held high, ears fwd and alert, tail set high), growls if you try to take their possesions away, when with other dogs, dominant dogs will tend to jump at the less dominant ones, humping, growling, etc....submissive dogs are the ones where when you approach them they tend to lower their heads, ears back, roll over on their backs, etc...

drew
ALPHA

Mar 5, 2003, 6:52 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,

ooosh, the sub missive one would be my silky then!!!!!!!!!! she's tooooo friendly that she wags her tail to everyone, roll over and ask for belly rubs ... ear down when anyone sayang her ... *sigh*

sorry to interrupt... :P Tongue

makrawl
Canine Addict

Mar 6, 2003, 6:15 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

u know what? i have 3 dogs and guess who's the dominant? is ME!! really, i mean it. the most important thing is let all your dogs know that u r the boss the moment they come to the house.

i'll use cane (50 cents each - from the grogery stores) to punish which ever that tries to start a fight. some ppl might feel my methods is cruel but i have to do it in order to control them and put them into their position nicely so that they won't try to challenge others. so in fact, my cane is the boss, not me!! of course, first when they growl, i'll shout NO! if they still continue, here comes my cane. cane for the first time, after that, they'll remember the painful experience next time once i shout NO! as they starts to fight again. if they've started the fight and out of control (this seldom happens- very very seldom), splash a pale of water towards and usually they'll stop. but i realised that male and female mix themselves very well! my 2 ECS (one 2 yo, another 4++ months) play day and night and nothing serious happen. sometimes the adult will growl when the young one nip his ears too hard, and she'll stop that and sometimes she'll lie down and show her belly to the adult showing that she's "surrendered" and he'll stop as well. maybe they've fix their own position and solved this for themselve already.

jay_owl

Mar 7, 2003, 1:45 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Is the first pup/big size dog always be the dominant of others? [In reply to] Can't Post

hey, i'm totally agree v u makrawl... i use cane (canes in fact) quite a lot. but don get me wrong, i love them very much leh.......... as i'm raising mongrels, their characters r unpredictable n difficult to be taught. but so far i manage to train them behave quite well at home, thanx to my canes!

when i brought in the 2nd dog, Rusty, an adult mongrel too, Cotton the 1st dog was so jealous n dominent, she even finish Rusty's food b4 he went near it, until i cannot tahan anymore coz she was reaching 23kg, then there goes my cane again. until now, she will wait till i point to the bowl n say: finish it. Cool

now they r ok oredi, can play n sleep together. ya another thing is, if u get 2 males together, tht'll b more difficult at the beginning, the dominent wanna mark territory so bad till ur house is full of urine smell Crazy

cheers

j Smile wong

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 9, 2004, 8:45 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2230 views)
Shortcut

hi... this thread got me.. i have 3 dogs now.. and i feel everytime i have a new dog, its the Older dog that becomes the Alpha of the pack... i had a spitz tat was mini and she was more dominant over the Boxer pup.. but they remained comfortable with each other.. Now the Boxer is the Alpha of my 2 new pups.. at first when it they r introduced, the alpha will show his dominance and get to know the pup.. once the pup is submissive to the alpha, they are accepted into the house... hehehee.. but of course, we humans being the ultimate King... controls all.. my vet tells me tat if ever they pick a fight, let them settle their scores themselves, we just gently remind them to be fair.... so far.. everything is fine.. they r all best frens... Tongue

U need to establish respect for the elder dog, feed her and greet her first, let her know she is respected still, and your pup will learn to do the same.. otherwise.. always fighting for u then u susah ony...hehehe..all the best Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my