My Dog walks in his own poo.

jehaz
New User

Oct 19, 2004, 1:18 AM

Post #1 of 2 (821 views)
Shortcut
My Dog walks in his own poo. Can't Post

Hi,

I have a rescue dog who is a staffy-cross of about 3.5 years old. I have had him for about half a year, but cannot seem to train him I want him to be.

We want to put him (Rufus) out during the day whilst we are at work - where he has a large garden and kennell, and then when we come home from work we like to bring him in to be with us. Then overnight, he sleeps downstairs in the hallway.

The trouble is, he is massivly clingy. He follows us all over the house, and whenever he is outside he stares in through the glass in the door, runs a circuit around the garden, and then comes back to the door. He just can't handle being apart from people, and will not settle. He must do a thousand circuits a day.

So throughout the day, he runs countinually around the garden on the same circuit, so much that he will wear a track of mud into the lawn within 2 days. Then whilst he is on his circuit, he poos, and then he will inevitably run in it. Naturally, once he has run in his poo and took it into his kennell on his feet, and then lay in his kennell, we will not let him into the house when we come home as he is unclean. We can't bath him everyday as it is bad for his coat and hard on us, so we end up bathing him weekly. But this is still too much and means that we cannot have him in the house most days.

He gets dirty like this anytime that we leave him alone for more than an hour. Even overnight in the hallway, he will poo and wee in the hallway once in 5 times. He is fine if he sleeps next to us in our bedroom - but he cannot handle being apart.

He can hold himself all day when he is around us (like at the weekend) but the moment we put him out, he does a poo every 30 minutes, and runs in them over and over again until the are squished flat. He ends up doing over 10 per day when he is outside.

The only way I have got Rufus to not walk in his poo whilst outside, is by limiting his movements by chaining him up. I find this cruel and don't want to do it, but it does prove that it is related to his continual running (which must be turning his bowels over too much), and also his nerves of us being away.

Also, when I come home and say hello to him, the moment I stroke him he will do a little squirt of wee as if he is nervous. This is even if I don't look directly at him and come down to his level.

How can I get him to settle? and how can I get him to not poo and run in the same spot?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 19, 2004, 8:45 AM

Post #2 of 2 (812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jehaz] My Dog walks in his own poo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

By and large our experience with strays & rescues have been good ... but without exception (so far) strays & rescues do exhibit more anxiety and nervousness ... or at least, are very much more wary of new people, places & routines than normal pet dogs.

And sometimes, rescues/strays (depending on their past experiences) also have a very different perspective of space and freedom. Unlimited space, does not always represent freedom or comfort to a rescue ... too much space can represent uncertainty & be frightening ... Which is quite understandable, considering how much time a rescue has to spend within limited space in a shelter ... The sudden granting of an unlimited area can actually be quite worrysome to a rescue.

So all training, including house training, has to keep the above in mind ...

" ... I stroke him he will do a little squirt of wee as if he is nervous. This is even if I don't look directly at him and come down to his level ..."

I think you already know this is submissive peeing. It takes time to get over ... and you need to be patient. Never show anger or frustration, as that will just make Rufus even more nervous and anxious to show that he submits to you - which in turn exacerbates the issue. Just continue spending lots of time with Rufus ... eventually, the problem will reduce, hopefully completely.

" ... The trouble is, he is massively clingy. He follows us all over the house, and whenever he is outside he stares in through the glass in the door ... He is fine if he sleeps next to us in our bedroom - but he cannot handle being apart ..."

You have well identified the problem ... Rufus gets anxious ... nervous ... afraid when apart from you & your family.

Given Rufus's background, you can well understand why Rufus is this way ... He was probably never loved before (or if he was, that love was lost to him) ... but he is loved now ... you are his pack, and he wants to be with his pack ... In his 3years of living, he has spent enough time alone ... Smile

And I suspect that your routine may be making Rufus more anxious and nervous ...

Keeping him outside, giving him so much space ... it's like ... oh oh ... What does he do with all that space, it may just emphasises the fact that he is on his own ... and increases his separation anxiety.

Once we appreciate the issues involved, there is always a way to alleviate or at least reduce the problem ...

Would suggest the following:

(a) For when you are out: You already have a kennel ... that is good ... Make sure the kennel is well sheltered, cool, dry & quiet ... Place an old T-shirt with your scent into the kennel ... and create a space around the kennel for him, not too big, just large enough for him to find space to eliminate ... You can get detachable fencing to secure an area for Rufus ...

And just let him settle down, with a bowl of clean water ... his favourite toys & chews ... and your old T-shirt ... to help him get used to his space ... you can feed him in his special area ...

The idea is to create an area which Rufus knows is safe ... a refuge ... his den ... Often for strays/rescues, they actually feel much more comfortable within a specified area, it gives them a greater sense of security ... and in time, you might find a more settled dog.

Experiment to find the best sized area for Rufus.

(b) For when you are home: Since you already know what Rufus is like ... let him into the house ... And immediately you will reduce the problem of constant running around & walking in his own poop ...

If you don't want him always underfoot ... set up a puppy pen for him, in a part of the house where there are people around. We like the kitchen ... And again, leave him his toys & chews, a clean bowl of water ... another old T-shirt Tongue ... and let him settle down. Just remember to let him out every now and again to do his elimination ...

Marking out a special space for your dog isn't cruel ... providing a dog with his own space, is actually good ... and helps most dogs. As Rufus gets more comfortable and more secure ... you can keep the puppy pen open for him to enter or leave as he wishes. Our doggies have their own room, their own space ... where they can go and rest whenever they wish ... It works real well.

As for the elimination in the house at night ... Again, from your description ... it appears very linked to his general state of anxiety when separated ... I would suggest that the best solution is ... let him sleep with you.

Give him a corner, cushion and a toy - and you will have a happy contented dog ... Smile ... If you wish for privacy or do not wish to have a dog wandering around your bedroom - use the puppy pen ... and place him at the foot of your bed ... *Tongue*

I think the only caution is ... you do need to help Rufus stop the running around and pooping in the house as soon as possible ... otherwise they can become habits that are difficult to recondition ... Habits that may remain even when Rufus becomes less anxious and secure ... The suggestions above may allow you to remove the unacceptable habits and replace them with more acceptable ones ...

The idea is not to try and train in a manner that goes head-to-head with Rufus's particular anxieties or fears ... but to modify normal training methods, such that the training accommodates and reduces the anxieties & fears.

All the best.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my