Some doubt on Shih Tzu

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2004, 5:32 AM

Post #1 of 151 (5033 views)
Shortcut
Some doubt on Shih Tzu Can't Post

Hi. I visit a pet shop today and i have some doubt here.

1. The owner of the pet shop told me that there a smaller size shih tzu and bigger size shih tzu. Is that true? the price of the smaller size shih tzu is higher than the bigger one. and they dun wan to reduce the prize because they said smaller size shih tzu is hard to breed and find in the market.

2. Besides, I hav some doubt on the hair color of shih tzu. The pet shop owner told me that the darker the brown color on the shih tsu's hair the better they looks when they grow up, coz when the shih tsu grow up, the color on their hair will fade away so is better to have a darker color. is that true?

I am searching for a shih tzu now but I don't have much knowledge on shih tzu, I need some advice from here coz I don't know how true is the words from the pet owner.
libelly

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2004, 10:38 AM

Post #2 of 151 (5028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [libelly] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hello libelly,

i ave three shih tzu at home but i am not that expert, just giving my advice. yes smaller size shih tzu is harder to find in the market. so if it is a bit more expensive then it is quite fair. and the color of the shih tzu, the darker the better cuase it will fade a bit when it grows up. tri-colored shih tzu ten to change color a bit it might be black/dark brown when it is small but when it grows up it might change to grey and light brown. so darker color is better. also look for better markings on shih tzu. the eyes usually have even patches on both eyes with white patch on top of the head. will looke like batman lar..hehe...then the tail must have white tip. markings on the body have to be even on both side..slight variation is okie lar.., make sure the nose is as flat as possible also. flatter nicer...okie hopes my advice will help. good luck in searching for a puppy. where u see this small size shih tzu...i am looking for one too. cause i have a female in small size as well looking for a male companion....

regards

Christopher

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 19, 2004, 1:31 AM

Post #3 of 151 (5018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hi christopher,

i saw them in one of the pet shop in OUG, very near to steven's corner. u can go there and have a look. but the price is too expensive for me. there is 2 small shih tzu there. but both of them also female
libelly

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2004, 8:25 AM

Post #4 of 151 (5014 views)
Shortcut

thanks, both female ar...aiyor...nemind i am looking for a male..are you looking for a shih tzu also...i/ve have got a fren selling them but not small size one lar normal size one lar..quite cheap i think. can help you contact her ...call me 0122990301

cheers

Christopher

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 19, 2004, 7:34 PM

Post #5 of 151 (5010 views)
Shortcut

Hi there....

I have a shih tzu and yes, there is a size difference but it shouldn't be very samll coz that is a fault! A shih tzu should weight around 9 to 11 pounds and the height should not be less than 8 inches or more than 11 inches at the withers. If you see a adult shih tzu a size that is not of the above, then the shih tzu is a fault and if you pay a high price for it, sorry lah, you got cheated coz the shih tzu is not of standard.....

If you would want to know more about the shih tzu and how to find a good shih tzu pup, I suggest you get this issue of , the dog breed featured is the shih tzu and it will tell you all you need to know about the breed in general... also, if you want a pup, call up MKA and get a good breeder, most of the uppies that you see in petshops could be from puppy mills and from what I've seen, you would even want to go into a puppymill or puppyfarm, will make you heart cry out coz I've been there so I know.....

The eyes should be large and round but not popping out like a goldfish, the muzzle or moutgh area should be square, short, unwrinkled with good cushioning set no lower than the bottom eye rim and never downturned, The muzzle should never be longer than 1 inch!

The colour of a shih tzu can chage as they grow older, actually, al dog will change their colour a bit as they grow older. If you get a puppy with black tips around the ears, when it grows older, the black tips will fade away, this is coz the fur on a shih tzu is not fur at all, it is actually hair like yours and mine. My dog is black and white so you won't and cannot tell the difference about the fading of clour. Best puppy to have is one with a whiote blaze or star on the head and a white tipped tail. Tricolour is very common here but from my opinion, I find dark colours very attractive, the black and white is very nice to have, striking and never fades!

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 20, 2004, 5:55 AM

Post #6 of 151 (4999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i have some doubt here, i don't quite understand

"you would even want to go into a puppymill or puppyfarm, will make you heart cry out"...do u means that the puppies there being treat very badly or ?
libelly

carienna
Canine Addict

Oct 20, 2004, 8:49 PM

Post #7 of 151 (4991 views)
Shortcut

wondering.. how much are they selling the small breed shihtzu?

Frown

Golden Retrievers & Miniature Schnauzer are SIMPLY the BEST!!!!!!!

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2004, 2:31 AM

Post #8 of 151 (4984 views)
Shortcut

Oh sorry, I meant you wouldn't want to visit a puppymill or farm... the condition is.... poor small pups lock in cages too small for them, dirty looking pens and muddy puppies, the parents of the pups are worst!!!!! Sometimes, a male is put together with 4 females and expected to mate with each female till they are pregnant, the females never rest, they give birth everytime they are able to have puppies, the owners never care, thye never feed them properly too, normally it is all plain rice with meat scraps.....

I went to a small dog farm before, the condition was that the dogs were fed on rice and scrap meat, some were thin, some were sick, some had lost toes......... I made a mistake of goinmg there and have already forgotten where the farm was.....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2004, 2:33 AM

Post #9 of 151 (4984 views)
Shortcut

My own shih tzu is of small structure, not small breed. He is of standard size and weighs about 6kg++

To get a good quality shih tzu that is worth your money, call up MKA and get one from a good breeder..... if you see an adult shih tzu that is very small, it means it must have mix blood and not pure, best if you could view the parents of the pups!!!!

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2004, 5:16 AM

Post #10 of 151 (4981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carienna] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

they are selling for 1.580K. for me, that is extremely expensive.
libelly

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2004, 5:27 AM

Post #11 of 151 (4980 views)
Shortcut

i will meet up with a breeder this weekend. see how's the puppies 1st. hope i manage to get one which is as cute as cnfs's Coco.
libelly

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2004, 5:37 AM

Post #12 of 151 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Ah, so you are meeting with the breeder Rose, not bad, I like how the pups are, BB and Coco, both are siblings from the same parents are from Rose and they are good looking quality shih tzus..... do look aropund coz today, there is an ad in the papers, some MKA shih tzus are selling for rm nine00..... just look around, of course, you must ask this if it's home breeder first!!!!!!!

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2004, 5:42 AM

Post #13 of 151 (4975 views)
Shortcut

yaya i saw coco and BB is quite cute and the color is quite nice also. so i have make appointment with rose to have a look at all the 10 furkids. hey crazymouse, how should i address u? kinda funny to call u crazymouse la. you have any pics of ur furkid? mind to share?
libelly

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2004, 5:45 AM

Post #14 of 151 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Hahahaha... good to know that you ave a liking for Coco and BB...... my shih tzu baby is not a baby anymore... he is in fact an old man hahhah.... 10 years old!!!!! And still going strong!!!!!!

Hehehehe.... ok, you can call me Hun. Yes, I have some pics.... photos.yahoo.com/yuinhun_yyh

libelly
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2004, 5:53 AM

Post #15 of 151 (4972 views)
Shortcut

hey hun, how many dogs u have right now? 4? u manage to take good care of 4 of them?
libelly

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2004, 6:01 AM

Post #16 of 151 (4971 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe.. if ou read my other post in other threads... you'll learn that I have about 30 pets and they are not fishes.... you see under chit chat, got one that ask what pther animals that we rare.... see mine lah hahaha....

Yes, I have 4 dogs... my resposobility is shared with my whole family so not much work lah....Tongue

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2004, 9:44 AM

Post #17 of 151 (4965 views)
Shortcut

The small size shih tzu is also known as an imperial shihtzu, well although it might not be recognize by the or Akc, there are ppl selling them in the market and claiming a higher price. again it is up to personal preferences, some like it big some like it small. to my experience many shih tzu in Malaysia is oversize as well. i got one imperial shih tzu, didn't know at first until iit grew up ans found out that it is very small. and got one standard shih tzu, but very heavy, can u imagine 9kg for a small breed..hehe he eats a lot always in the kitchen waiting for food one...now on diet...about imperial shih tzu, they are not genetically born like this, irresponsible breeder purposely breed them to be like that. breeding them this way would often lead to poor health of the puppy because they will feed choose the smallest of the male and female shih tzu and then breed them to get the size they want. it is a myth to how they reduce their size, some say they feed them less and control their size thus not giving them enough nutrition to grow up. there are still ppl buying this kind of shih tzu as they think they look cuter if they are smaller in size. well it up to personal preference. health is the most important issue here. buyingthem as a pet is okay but if you plan to show them then buy the standard size one. after all the standard size one is not that big either. i've have got a friend that saw this article that they are trying to breed small size yorkshire terrier as well.. i was amaze when i saw the article too. the grown up yorkshire is as smaller than a toy poodle..could u imagine. well thats what i have to share...

cheers

Christopher

carienna
Canine Addict

Oct 21, 2004, 5:56 PM

Post #18 of 151 (4962 views)
Shortcut

UH?! So so expensive!! :-/ I think you can get at a cheaper price compare to that .. In Penang, the prices for shihtzu is kinda reasonable.. and I've seen small sized shihtzu here as well. My fren got 1 at only rm1k with cert.. but when he brings the furkid to the vet, vet said the doggie is underweight if compare to how an actual shihtzu should weigh..Crazy

Frown

Golden Retrievers & Miniature Schnauzer are SIMPLY the BEST!!!!!!!

cnfs

Oct 26, 2004, 7:21 AM

Post #19 of 151 (4940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [libelly] [crazymouse_yyh] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Libelly,

It is tough to find a small size shih tzu. In fact, Coco is the smallest in the litter, just like her mom. About 4kg only. This is under the standard. But I think she will still grow a bit more lor as she is only 6 months old. Otherwise even a persian cat is bigger than coco. Hehehe..... Nevertheless, note that Shih Tzu is considered a high maintenance dog. You will need to be willing to invest some time everyday in order to have beautiful coat lor. This is a long long term obligation and committment and you must be ready for it lor.... don't just fall for the cute puppy look.... you should also visit adult shih tzu to learn more from their owners... sorry for the lecture.... but i am just worried because many people end up giving their dogs away because they simply cannot cope anymore.... it's very painful for the dog to be disowned... almost like our own parents disowned us...that kind of feeling....... Unsure

Regards,
Mr.Chris

Nishi
Novice

Oct 26, 2004, 9:05 PM

Post #20 of 151 (4929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cnfs] [crazymouse_yyh] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, Mr Chris, yr shih Tzu so small size. Really mini leh. Mine now 4 kg liow and shi is only 4 mths old.

cnfs

Oct 26, 2004, 11:12 PM

Post #21 of 151 (4927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nishi] [crazymouse_yyh] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe... your shih tzu is so cute. What's her name? Where do you stay? I am in Damansara perdana.

Regards,
Mr.Chris

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #22 of 151 (4926 views)
Shortcut

Females normally small size... 4kg is alright for a 6 month old pup, my Willy is only 6kg!!!! Vet said very good weight and I was surprised that when I brought him to RDO... he was smaller than other shih tzus....

Your advice is good, should tell all potential shih tzu owners.....

Nishi
Novice

Oct 27, 2004, 2:18 AM

Post #23 of 151 (4922 views)
Shortcut

Thanks. Me staying in Spore. Just joined this forum. Thinking of letting my nishi to know some Malaysia's friend for her future when we move back.

a_evie
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2004, 5:40 AM

Post #24 of 151 (4919 views)
Shortcut

the bigger and smaller breed...heard of that too. have seen what they meant by the smaller breed...they called it the aussie shih tzu. much smaller that the imperial ones.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 27, 2004, 5:49 AM

Post #25 of 151 (4918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Some doubt on Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

HUh? Got that small ah?????Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my