Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Shih Tsu Eyes

botaknh
New User

Oct 15, 2004, 7:55 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Shih Tsu Eyes Can't Post

I have a 4 mth old Shiz Tzu. Her hair is now starting to cover her eyes. I was told a long time ago that some dogs need hair over their eyes to protect their eyes (how true this is I don't know). Question is for expert groomers, do I trim the hair over her eyes, or leave it to protect her eyes.

cherielee
K9 Maniac

Oct 15, 2004, 9:32 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [botaknh] Shih Tsu Eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

hmmm...sry i am not profesional in this. but ...i think doggie hair should not cover his eyes for a long period. just imagine if human hair cover on eyes...awww...vry uncomfortable rite??Unsure i think just same like doggie...vry uncomfortable.Tongue this is my opinion and i dunno how true is it too... hope some pro groomer give some opinion.Smile

my Silky Terrier hair also growing long n sometimes will cover his eyes.i always comb his hair to behind of his head.Smile the petshop aunty also help me to cut a little hair near his eyes. i think she told me not to let hair touch his eyes bcoz will cause many discharge frm eyes n worst eyes infection.Pirate dats all i know. Tongue hope woll help. do correct me if i am wrong.

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2004, 12:32 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1974 views)
Shortcut

hello there,

well i am not a professional too, but i own 3 shih tzu right now and the advice i can give u is, it depends on whether u want to keep ur shih tzu's hair long or short, well if u want them short, maybe like the teddy bear look, then normally they cut the hair infront of their eyes, if u want them long like those you see in dog show, then u must keep the hair. from my experience, the hair in front of their eyes do not bother them much but you have to keep their eyes clean. you will have to clean their eyes everyday to make sure there is no infection. maybe just buy a comb and come the hair a bit. just nromal grooming. shih tzu is born with hair growing like chrysentimum. so its their nature if their hair grom and cover their eyes. in this period of time where their hair is in middle length not long and not short, u have to pay more attention as in cleaning and combing the hair to make sure it does not infect the eyes. well after a while when their hair is long enough, it should be comb down and ur puppy should look like an angel. if u need grooming or anything u can contact me chris-Lf@streamyx.com...

regards,

Christopher

silvrash
Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2004, 9:22 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

I don hav shih tzu but i've seen an article talking about long hair breed, they tie a ponytail with the hair right on top of the eye to keep it from disturbing the eye and avoid it from falling off.
or else, you'll you have to comb it backward often or else they might fall offPirateCrazy
or else clip it
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

Nishi
Novice

Oct 24, 2004, 6:20 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Shih Tsu Eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I have a 4-mth old shih Tzu too. We used to cut her front hair ourselves. The vet also advise that not to let her hair irritates her eye. For ST, either you keep their coat long or get let them have a puppy cut.

I keep my nishi hair short so that she won't feel hot. But not so short. Once a mth I will bring her to do a basic grooming (bath, cut nails, clean ear).

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2004, 6:35 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1945 views)
Shortcut

yeah yeah... they should either be trimed or tied. coz they may irritate the eyes and cause infection..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my