Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Couple Of Questions about Puppy Training

GrumpyBear
New User

Feb 6, 2003, 1:37 PM

Post #1 of 4 (903 views)
Shortcut
Couple Of Questions about Puppy Training Can't Post

Hello every one, Im new here and I have a few questions. I've had my puppy since she as born, I was actully there when she was born. She's a lab rot mix, all white. Well any way, she's five months old now and she knows how to sit, stay, come, roll over, speak, play dead, jumps, shakes, high fives, and were learning how to play fetch. But we have one problem, she doesn't like people very well. I've took her every where when she was old enough to go. I took her over to my sister's house for a week and I took her to all my 4-H meetings (i'm 16) I've even took her over to the horses (I want her to be my horse dog) and she likes them, and i've had friends over. But she barks at them and growls and she attacks them if she's sleeping and they come and wake her up. She even tried to bite my sister. Her brother's and sister's never tried that. Do you think maybe it's because she's attached to me? I take her every where, she even try's to take a shower with me. Could it be that? Could you help?

Also I have a question abou tmy brother's puppy. She's a sister to my puppy. She has hip problems like her dad did and when she wakes up she walks with a limp. Where cutting back on her protein becuase the vet told us to do that with her dad (which we own) but I cant play fetch with her like I can with Kitty (my puppy). Fuzzums (my brothers puppy) get's depressed when I take Kitty out to play fetch and Fuzzums brings me the ball and I cant play with her. She knows how to sit, shake, lay down, and speak but I cant really work with on come becuase she doesn't listen to me but she listens to my brother, so is there any type of game I can play with her without hurting her hips? Thanks.

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 2:48 PM

Post #2 of 4 (858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrumpyBear] Couple Of Questions about Puppy Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello! You've asked a few questions here, so I'll try my best to answer. Rotties need proper socialization with people from the time they're VERY young. Since you have a Rottie mix, you probably should've started before you did. (As soon as you got her home) They get VERY sketchy about people and are nervous if you don't do this. It has nothing to do with her being protective over you, etc. She just doesn't trust people the way she should.

I train with many people that have Rotties and one happened to have a litter that was poorly socialized. The dogs wouldn't go NEAR anybody, except the owners. When somebody tried to pet them, they jumped back and either yelped or growled. Here's what we did with the pups. . .we got about five or six people around and gave them each a piece of hot dog. We LET THE PUPS COME UP TO THE PEOPLE, where they were immediately fed the hot dog. This works best if you don't give the entire piece of hot dog at once, but rather hold it in your hand in a way where the dog can only nibble at it. Then, let the people SLOWLY bring thier free hand towards the dog. If the dog starts to back away, the person should stop, take their hand away and wait for the dog to come back. This should be repeated until the person can actually touch the dog. Once they can, they should pet SLOWLY and calmly until the dog is comfortable (while feeding) Repeat this with different people. Eventually after doing this for a while, the dog should be more comfortable around people.

If your dog has issues with other people waking her up. . .don't let them! Wink

Now, as for the other dog's hips. . .I don't know if this was an intentional breeding, but if the father has bad hips, he should've been neutered. This is a genetic disorder that can be passed on to puppies.

If this was an intentional breeding- whoever made this decision, really needs to do some research on responsible breeding. As a general rule, interbreeding (breeding of two breeds) should not be done, health testing should be completed (this includes getting certification on hips for dogs that are prone to hip disorders, as well as other disorders that a particular breed is prone to ie- elbows, eyes, blood, heart, lungs, etc.) and working or conformation titles should be earned by the dogs as well. These things will help ensure that puppies born will have sound temperament, and good health (free from genetic disorders).

If this was an unintentional breeding, well, then you all have had bad luck TWICE. . .once on the breeding, and once on the unhealthy pups (unhealthy in regards to temperament and hips. . .) I would suggest that either way, you get the father, and the pups neutered and spayed. They can be wonderful pets, but unfortunately are just not good candidates for breeding.

If you have any other questions or problems, feel free to send them my way Cool

Good Luck! . . .and Safe Training!

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

GrumpyBear
New User

Feb 21, 2003, 9:04 AM

Post #3 of 4 (841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AjaSage] Couple Of Questions about Puppy Training [In reply to] Can't Post

But I took my puppy every where when she was young. Her dad is rot and he had no problems with people and we got him as a six month old who lived in a Kenal. I'll try the hotdog idea, but once Kitty knows the person, she's completely happy and doesnt bite or try to hurt them.

The other puppies hips are normal, she just grew really fast and lost alot of weight se we though she had a hip broblem because you could see he hips. She's gained alot of waight to we dont worry about her more. Thanks for the advice on Kitty, but I have one more question. How did you keep your dog from throwing up in the car?????

GrumpyBear

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 21, 2003, 10:29 AM

Post #4 of 4 (840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrumpyBear] Couple Of Questions about Puppy Training [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're going to try the hot dog idea. The reason I suggested it is because she is nervous around NEW people. I understand that once she gets to know them, she'll be fine- this should just help her be more trusting of people and get to know them faster Wink Oh, I guess I did leave out that you have to do the hot dog thing with people she does not already know Crazy Guess it wouldn't help much, otherwise.

As for throwing up in the car. . .well, my boys have never had that problem, so I wouldn't know where to start. Sorry. Maybe you could ask your vet and see if there's some sort of medicine that they can give that will help out.

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my