Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 6, 2004, 6:01 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2041 views)
Shortcut
golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING! Can't Post

my 10 weeks golden is going crazy!:) we are bringing her out for short walks but she picks everything from the ground like leaves, cigarette packs and literally anything except the road. she even chews on small stones. this is of course very unhygenic. how can i curb this problem?

she even chews grass!! i am thinking of getting a loose muzzle. is this ok for a puppy?

she is on a 3 times a day good diet and supplements which are in ways of fruits in between meals. she gets exercise and play time. she doesn't seem to pay attention during training but i think it's because she is young.

anybody know of any obedience / puppy class around KL area? i want to send her to puppy kindergarten

Khoobg
Webmaster

Oct 6, 2004, 6:04 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING! [In reply to] Can't Post

Read here for more information

http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/

Puppy class is for puppies from 3 - 6 months of age

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2004, 10:29 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2024 views)
Shortcut

hi there

my male beagle used to pick up everything on the floor, from pebbles, leaves, etc. well, just gotta tell your pup No this and No that. Tongue puppy.com is organizing obedience training. very cheap. Smile

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2004, 8:56 AM

Post #4 of 10 (2018 views)
Shortcut

they're like that....playful....just make sure that they dun eat up poos of others..coz they may contain some sort of virus or bacteria....Pirate

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 7, 2004, 4:57 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING! [In reply to] Can't Post

guess have to no this and no that to her lah...we are sending her to puppy class once she has her 3rd shot next month

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 7, 2004, 6:49 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2006 views)
Shortcut

good to hear that. Smile

(This post was edited by MisterStan on Oct 7, 2004, 6:50 PM)

axist3
Novice

Oct 12, 2004, 6:04 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

Nice to hear you have a GR. I am currently owning a GR pup too! Perhaps we can share information with each other in the future! Wink

Well, my Toby is coming to 8 weeks now. He's a VERY playful and active boy. Sometimes i just lose out to him since he is such a rascal....going round the house terrorising everything including plants, shoes, slippers, grass and everything that lies in his path. I've tried telling him NO this...and NO that...but recently he seems to put a dear ear towards me and keep on doing his "work"

I wonder is it because he wants my attention? Or is he trying to get his exercise he is locked up in a bathroom for the whole day? I have no choice since i am working and i can only manage to play with him when i'm back from work that is around 7pm. I am thinking of putting him in a "day-care" centre for dogs but so far...i couldn't find any. I'm staying in Cheras and working in Sri Petaling. I really do hope you guys can help me out in finding a suitable solution to this......thanks very much!

Kelvin & Toby

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 12, 2004, 6:11 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [axist3] golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING! [In reply to] Can't Post

ahahahaha. i wish i have a gr. but i do not have one ekekeke. just have a male beagle as my first doggy.

ekekekekekekeke SmileSmileSmileSmile

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 17, 2004, 12:42 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Hi i m ur guide on trainning pups but not big dogs. The way 2 stop ur pup from chewing is carry him when he wants 2 chew sometin or quickly send him 2 the cage. Whoa, i thought gr respond good 2 trainning.

If u want 2 take a walk with him, if he continues 2 chew, pull him or prevent him from chewing things he is not allowed 2 chew. At home, just give him a chew toy 2 chew on.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Oct 17, 2004, 6:47 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [axist3] golden eating / chewing EVERYTHING! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey sydney, thanks for the advice. my puppy now has stopped chewing stuff on the ground when we go out. i actually give her a no this and that. since she is too young for a training collar, i just pull her back lah or distract her. at home has past chewing all the things she is not suppose to chew.

i do however have a problem now. she is 12 weeks now and we thought wanted to introduce bones to her, so we gave her a big chunk of lamb bones. she who has never growled or snapped at me when i put my hand in her food bowl, she who has waited patiently for me while i prepare her food, she who never bites me has finally bite me when i tried to take away the bone. i don't want her to have food possesion and she does not except for bones, she willingly to even share her toys. so i don't understand, i know it's dog's instinct and perhaps it was my fault trying her out. her teeth brushed on my left arm causing it to bleed. i was really surprised. how do i control such behaviour?

as for kelvin& toby, i am the one who owns a GR, misterstan has a beagle:) since u r saying about your 8 weeks old running around. well based on my puppy. u don't want her to start chewing shoes, keep all ur shoes on a shoe rack. you don't want her to chew on plant, keep it away, put gates/fences over the plants. basically if u don't want her to chew on something, don't start it. for eg, she don't know the difference of a new shoe and an old shoe (if u let her chew on an old shoe).

i think ur toby sounds like my Roxy when she was younger. catch her in the act when she is chewing on something u don;'t want her to chew, her brain can't register why u say no 2 seconds after he stopped. i normally would make a sounds like "accckk", followed by a fist and a deep growl with a NO!. hold his muzzle gently together when u r doing this. you know u will the battle if she looks away. don't look away from him or blink. if he is staring at u while u r doing tis to him, stare back, he is trying to establish who is boss. and boss would always win.

say his name a lot and i mean a lot! make sure he also look at u when u call his name. but never yell or call his name in a bad tone. the tone should always be good tone..sounds something like when u say "ice cream" to a child. i did an experiment where i got my hubby to call her name if a good tone and me calling her in a bad tone(she likes me more) and i find she goes to my hubby though i am her fav. so conclusion, ur puppy don't really understand what u r saying but she judge u by ur tone of voice.

i think locking him up in the bathroom is kinda bad since its not like he has a view of something. i live in a condo and my puppy is crated for 8 hours a day in our bedroom with ur bedroom window open and a fan blowing to her, we also keep a radio on so she won't get bored. once we close the bedroom door, she doesn't make a noise. we do have sliced pear, carrots, cucumber as treats in the crate. we also have invested in a KONG, you can get this at petstore, it's bloody expensive, like RM43 (we bought ours) but it's worth it, since ur dog is a very small, she will probably use the kong as a chew toy, we have start to put treats in the kong and she will have to figure out how to get the treat. it has occupied her for hours! rule of thumb, never help him to get the treat out, or u would have taught him that he can be helped.

we did think about putting her in dog daycare but we thought it would probably drain us financially. most books say puppies have to be accompanied and be taken out of the crate every hour or something. maybe it's true but i have trained my dog to eat 3 times a day, do her pee/poo in the morning and when i come home from work (6pm). dogs naturally will not soil her/his sleeping area. u r lucky u got a GR as they are highly adaptable.

another thing is training plays a role. r u living alone? if u r coming home at 7pm and tired, ur dog all rested from the time u left him and wanting to play, that is a bad combination. u chose to have a very active breed, sacrifice comes with it. here is how i dealt with it. since she is in my bedroom and can't see me coming home, i would normally sit down on my couch for 5 minutes before going over and letting her out. she then will run to my balcony to do her pee/poo and then straight to my legs and sit for training. so i would sit down give her a chew toy and just mildly play with her. don't want to lose patience mah. i believe u should incorporate training with exercise. very important, train her to sit. say toby, sit and slowly push his bottom down. if necessary, give her a small treat. dogs don't care how big the treat is, as long as there are treats. took me a week i think for roxy to understand sit. it's very useful as u can make him sit for everything. literally everything. don't worry about being bossy, they want a boss - you!

my treat for roxy is dog biscuit, i snap and crack the biscuit into sometimes 8 very small chunks. i know dog biscuit are suppose to be for teeth cleaning and preventing tartar but she has something else for that. i let my puppy sit for everything. when dinner is prepared when i watch tv, before we go out, she must sit at the door, sit in the lift, etc.

GR have very high level of exercise. my marker is when i want to watch 9pm show and she is still running and chewing on things, she is not tired yet. so i bring her out for walks, play with her. and then when i sit at the couch and she is lying down at my leg, i know she is tired and i am happy. u cannot overdo a puppy till they are 1 year. so i let her do things at her pace. we walked but if she stops and sits down, i stop. we play catch and stuff like that. but when she start panting heavily and just lay down, i stop. this is because they have senstive joints and if u overdo them, may lead to some problems like HD. though most of it are genetics, but prevention is better than cure. also don't let toby to jump for anything.

hai ya..long already my reply. so u want to know anything, i will help u the best i can lah. GR are people dog, he does wants ur attention but don't spoil him. but if he runs around ur house like mad, then he is not getting enough exercise. of course after all training, also hug him and sayang him lah..if he doesn't feel love, he will think u r not worth listening too. this is also if he thinks he is boss. since u have a male, u will anticipate quite a few session of him testing his dominance on u. just be stern but gentle. he will make a great dog someday, it takes time, effort, energy and lots and lots of patience not including lots of love!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my