Getting a Beagle, need final advice

weew
Novice

Oct 6, 2004, 5:44 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Getting a Beagle, need final advice Can't Post

Hi dog lover,
I am planning to get a beagle as my companion.... I have read some books realated to Beagle behaviour and etc. (Do all the research I can before getting him in)
I am staying in a 1075sqft aparment, alone.... I am working at home, so my time is very flexible to bring the dog a walk or play with him.
There is few things I am concern.

First is 'barking'! cos apartment is a place not 'really' welcome animals to stay as a family... If being complaint by jiran, an my lovely beagle going to 'shift' to SPCA.
Secondly, some people told me Beagle bark often, expecially male, some poeples said female beagle is very tame, some people said good training get a dream dog you want., so how?
Thirdly, IN CASE i am sick, who going to feed them and clean up their pee&poo thing..
Fourthly, no other dog that I like beside Labrador, and Labs is large breed n if i force to have him, lab going to suffer from lack of space...

Hope your can give me some wise advice and good ideal, orf else my dream dog not going to happen.

Thanks

WeewUnsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 7, 2004, 9:05 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weew] Getting a Beagle, need final advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Aah ... a Beagle ...

FINDING A BEAGLE:

Caution: Because Beagles are so popular, there a lot of people breeding Beagles indiscriminately ... namely, they breed simply to sell, without care about lineage, conformation or temperament. And as a consequence, there are a lot of Beagles pups with poor temperament, incorrect conformation and poor health (with coat/skin problems etc) being sold at high prices.

HOW TO IDENTIFY A RESPONSIBLE BREEDER

Therefore, if your heart is set on a Beagle ... then I suggest you find a responsible breeder ... DO NOT BUY from a pet shop! ... As to how you can recognise a responsible breeder - check this thread ... www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=64043;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Do be careful, just because a breeder is registered with the or promises you a MKA registered pup ... that is no guarantee that the breeder is responsible or that the pup is sound.

A BEAGLE

Okay ... if you have done your research, you will already know that Beagles are supposed to be like ...

Positive: A well bred Beagle is a lovely dog ... reasonably easy going ... non-aggressive with kids, people or other dogs ... food orientated ... A Beagle is generally a very happy dog ... Makes a reasonable watch dog (sometimes).

On the difficult side: Beagles (especially Beagle pups) are cute but ... aaah ... don't ever mistake a Beagle for a toy or lap dog just because of their size ... Beagles are out and out dogs, bred to hunt/track foxes they are active & require reasonable exercise. A bored Beagle is - trouble brewing ...

And like most hound breeds, they are not the easiest dogs to train ... Beagles have an independent streak, a stubborn streak & mind of their own ... The only way to train a Beagle is with lots of patience, praise & treats ... Beagles can be affectionate, but they will seek and give affection on their own terms ...

Beagles also follow their nose. Give them an interesting scent, and they are OFF! ... Don't matter how well trained they are, once on a scent - everything else is forgotten ... So, you will seldom find a Beagle not on a leash ...

Beagles can be a little yappy, with a tendency to howl ... I have not heard of anyone successfully training a Beagle not to bark. As a breed, they were bred to hunt in a pack and barking & howling is how they communicate with the pack & hunter ... so, in that sense - barking is second nature to a Beagle.

HOME ALONE WITH DOG

If you work from home, then having a dog is not a problem ... just that with a Beagle ... long walks are appreciated ... And I will say again - a bored Beagle is - trouble brewing ... A tired Beagle is your best friend in the whole world! Tongue

Once a dog is properly house trained ... they usually require very little supervision ... So, even if you are not well, you should be able to manage okay ... If you are seriously ill, then a Beagle is small enough & friendly enough to pass over to a friend for a couple of days.

IS A BEAGLE SUITABLE FOR YOU?

If you are a reasonably active person ... outgoing ... independent minded ... if you view training a dog as a challenge ... have patience ... a Beagle may just be your perfect companion ...

However, if you are the sedentary type ... and your idea of exercise is opening a bag of crisps ... or if you expect a dog to give you 100% attention ... and expect training to be a breeze ... then maybe a Beagle is the wrong breed for you.

Personally and only my view, I would say ... a Labrador would make a better first dog than a Beagle ...

Assuming the management of your apartment does not object to occupants keeping dogs (its kinda hard trying to hide a Labrador) ... and if you are prepared to walk your dog everyday & give reasonable exercise (then the size of your apartment won't matter so much) ... A jog or two during weekends will also be great ...

Labradors are lovely and so loving - a Labrador is a loveball on 4 legs ... They are easy to train, very friendly, responsive, obedient, not noisy ... and will give a first time owner everything ... intelligence, loyalty, attention ... you name it - the Lab has it ...

The only thing is - a Lab makes a terrible watch/guard dog ... everyone is their friend ... including the guy in a mask!

Because Labs are also very popular - it is also important to find a responsible breeder and get a well bred pup, from good parents.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 7, 2004, 9:07 AM)

weew
Novice

Oct 7, 2004, 6:48 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Getting a Beagle, need final advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi surchinmy,
Thanks so much for your advice, actually i like Labrador, then Beagle, Cos it is so cute and very tame n obedient animal, I stay 1 day with the puppy before, I knew it. When I call him, it just come to me no matter what there are doing in 'chewing' pulling, eating.... great dog.

My friend said if the dog barking when their get older, it will be very loud and may get complaint from jiran. And some breeder said my aparment so small, it is not good for the bone n ...something la.. But i can bring the dog for walk 2-3 time a week for an hour, and I like that this dog because it is so 'hug-able'!

The reason that '1' day with Lab doesn't become many day is because i can't stay the pee&poo of it. (maybe that time I haven't prepare yet to get a dog, i get it is just out of '1 moment love'. But I love Lab...

So, after your advice, I think I will go back to Lab n leave all'assume' bad thing for LAb behind.

Then, how do I suppose to over come the pee&poo smell in my toilet every day? I remember when I clean up the P&P in the moring I woke up from the bed, once I open my door,oooooooowww.....I almost faint.. I think every dog is like that right?

Any good way to help me or advice me to get a Lab instead of Beagle? remember I like Lab's tame' spirit, once call or any one call, he be with them. And at my apartment, nothing much to be steel.

"Concern"----- Lab look like eat alot, how about when their grow in big size, will it be eat untill i get poor.......:) Any ideal how much i need to feed him per month when he get old?

Hope can hear from your soon.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 7, 2004, 8:30 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

You must read the thread below ... it will give you information you require BEFORE getting a dog:

... www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=64043;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Before getting a dog - I would suggest the following:

(A) Realise that before dogs grow into calm & steady adults ... they remain a pup & young dog for up 16 months.

Pups/young dogs are usually active, naughty and playful ... they require attention, time and training (house training & general training) ... So you must accept that looking after a pup/young dog will require lots of love, time & ... PATIENCE ... Smile ...

(B) Dogs pee and poop ... and until they are house trained ... (just like babies) they will pee and poop wherever and whenever it suits them ... Good house training will teach the dog where to eliminate ... This may take up to 2 months with consistent training.

As for the smell ... *Tongue* ... after a while, all dog owners get used to pee & poop ... and if you love your dog - you will too ... That's just part and parcel of having a dog friend ... a part of nature, a part of the dog ... and no big deal.

Aaah ... maybe you also need to rethink the requirement of "exercise" ...

(C) Because you live in an apartment ...
  • FIRST - Make sure that the management will allow you to keep a dog ... it will be very sad if after a few months - you are forced to give the dog away because the management is taking action against you.
  • SECOND - You must accept, that if you choose to have Lab or Beagle - you MUST make time to provide sufficient exercise ... Labs & Beagles require reasonable exercise on GRASS ... A pup that is forced to grow up on hard/slippery ground (like that found inside an apartment) without access to exercise on grass - can acquire bone defects ... eg: hip or shoulder displasia ...
  • THIRD - For pups/young Labs & Beagles, you will need to exercise them at least twice a day ... This will give the pup/young dog chance to receive the exercise required to promote healthy bone and musculature growth - active play is also important for brain development ... Any apartment dwelling dog owner who tries to short cut this critical element of exercise, will likely end up with a dog with life-long problems.
  • By exercise - I do not mean a short walk ... Reasonable exercise depends on the breed and age of dog ... For a 8week old Lab or Beagle (half and hour of walking twice a day will suffice) but by the time they get to 5/6 months ... you will need to increase exercise time to one hour twice a day ... for running and ACTIVE play ... And this schedule should be maintained until they fully mature at 16 to 24 months. Once fully mature, having reached full growth - you can probably cut back the exercise to once a day.

So you see ... while it is not impossible for a person living in an apartment to have a Lab or Beagle - it requires much dedication and effort.

If you are not ready to give the kind of exercise required then maybe both the Lab & Beagle are not suitable for you ... Maybe you should think of another breed ... There are some lovely toy breeds that need less exercise and less space.

You are also right to consider the "cost" ... This depends on what kind of food you wish to feed ... but there are other costs as well eg: vet fees (for vaccinations, deworming & general medical care etc), toys ... treats ... etc ... I would say to be comfortable and safe ... you should budget about RM120 to RM150 per month per dog.

Do not get a dog for "hugability" value ...Crazy... get a breed you can cope and live with ... Once you get a dog - it is for life! ...

Do think about all these things first ... be sure and ready in your mind and heart ... Smile

It may be a good idea is to spend some time with friends who have dogs ... spend a day with them ... watch and see what is required ...

It may also be a good idea to visit SPCA or PAWS ... and save a stray ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 7, 2004, 11:27 PM)

weew
Novice

Oct 7, 2004, 10:54 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Getting a Beagle, need final advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi suchinmy,
Thanks for all your kind advice, it is truly a 'hard thing' for people stay in apartment to keep large dog like Lab, cos even I can commit in 1 year, 2, 3 years, or maybe 5 years later, will I have that kind of heart to bring the dog for jogging or walking min 2hours a day? But if i got a laned property, that is much difference story, cos their can running out side of my parking lot.
Maybe I need to save money to buy a landed property first, then my dream dog will come later...
Other dog? hmm...I just don't like...

terryf

Oct 7, 2004, 11:02 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Dear Weew,

Please be aware that by law dog is NOT allowed in apartment/condo, even the management does not give you hard time, but once your neighbor make complaints to the local authorities, then they will issue you warning letter and will take your dog away by force if you still keeping it.

Please don't take the risk !!! you will feel very sad if that's happen.

TF

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 7, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Yes ... maybe wait a bit and see how ... before getting your Lab or Beagle ... that would be wise ... Smile

Cheers ...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my