Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How to teach using leash?

msara
Novice

Oct 6, 2004, 12:12 AM

Post #1 of 5 (866 views)
Shortcut
How to teach using leash? Can't Post

I have silky terrier 9 weeks old. IM wondering how to teach her wearing collar and leash. Collar itself she's very unconfortable and scratching it... and stays panis when hear bell sound. When i insert a leash... she pulls backwards and lay down when i pull her forward....
how to train her... please help

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2004, 2:03 AM

Post #2 of 5 (862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msara] How to teach using leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi msara

my male beagle, going to be 5 months old, hates the leash. everytime, after wearing the leash, henry would bite it. well, gotta say No to make sure henry stop biting. you should try bringing your silky for walks while on leash. i noticed that when henry have something to do while on leash, he would not bite the leash, such as when i bring him for walks, when he is playing with other puppies,etc. Smile

you should let your silky knows/understand that he/she should not be scared of the leash. henry everytime see me carry the leash, he would bark and jump here and there, as he knows that i am bringing him to socialize/to go out and meet other puppies/dogs. Smile

maybe first few times, your silky might struggle a bit, refuse to work, etc. well, bring something that your silky likes, and used it to lure your silky to walk with you. hope that helps. Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 7:42 AM

Post #3 of 5 (858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msara] How to teach using leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Suggestion:

(A) Remove the bell ... research has shown that bells can irritate a dog or cat when placed on a leash. Which isn't so strange, we wouldn't like a bell going off everytime we turn our heads ... *ouch* Crazy

(B) As for the collar ... To begin - attach the collar to her very loose ... and remove after a short time ... Repeat putting on and removing the collar ... You can make it into a game ... put collar on - give praise and a little treat ... remove collar ... put on - praise & treat ... and soon your dog will associate the collar with good things.

(C) With the leash ... get a very light leash (your pup is a little doggie) ... when you attach leash ... do not use the leash to pull her ... Instead, let the leash go (if the leash is long, curl the leash up and tie with a rubber band) and then proceed to play with your pup, give her a toy or little treats ... just let the leash dangle ... Let your pup learn to ignore the leash ... Again, everytime the leash goes on ... praise & treat ...

The general idea is to teach the dog that the collar and leash are fun and come with praise & treats.

Many dog owners use the leash to drag their dogs around ... Remember the leash is not a substitute to basic training but an aid to help train a dog ... so get a good dog manual and teach your dog the basic commands of sit, stay, recall and heeling ... and the proper way to use a leash.

Cheers

yst323
Old Kaki

Oct 6, 2004, 9:34 PM

Post #4 of 5 (842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] How to teach using leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
I saw your few post and it seems like you are very good in handling dogs...lengthy and detail!!

My little pp is 5 1/2 month old now but he is still not very used to the collar and leash, especially collar. He will scratch on and off...don't know why...any ideas? any suggestion on how to make him not itchy?

ST & PP & TT Frown

PP & TT photos
(latest upload: 3 Feb 2006)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 9:45 PM

Post #5 of 5 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yst323] How to teach using leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... on collars ...

(a) It is important to get a collar of the right size for your dog (personally I like starting with a light collar) ... Get one without any dangling bits or bells ... a simple collar is often the best. Make sure the collar is smooth and does not have parts that can catch or trap the dog's coat or fur and cause irritation ...

(b) Make sure you know how to fit a collar. It must not be too tight ... The traditional method is to make sure you can always slip 2 fingers under the collar without difficulty.

(c) Some dogs may be allergic to the material from which the collar is made. My preference is to get a good leather collar or one of the nylon types from a good collar manufacturer ...

If you get a proper collar that fits correctly ... the collar should not cause any itchiness ... It is just the dog, not being used to having something around its neck ... Check the post above to see how you can help your dog get used to a collar.

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my