Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
My naughty Pug

sycham
Novice

Oct 4, 2004, 8:19 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1164 views)
Shortcut
My naughty Pug Can't Post

My pug is around 3 and a half months old, he's a very playful pupLaugh, every time he will comes to me is all because he hopes to get some food from my hands. He will keeps on aiming my hands for food. When i call him, he will only look at both of my hands but not my eyes. He likes to bite my giant pooh bearUnsure, as he tot my giant pooh bear is a human, what can I do to make him stop aiming my hands? Eventhough I wanna touch his head also hard, coz he will tot that, thr's food in my hands, then he will try to bite my hands(just a soft bite)

But some times he's obediant and Im able to teach him "sit" and "stay" Slycoz he knows that everytime he needs to sit for his food.

He's too frendly, everytime i bring him out sure he will try to jump on ppl's leg and the tail will keep on shaking, he's aggresive somtimes, coz as I know pug is not that sporting one.

But for me, I think all the puppy act the same, coz they are still young and know nothing much. They might be more obediant when they grow up Angelic

Just like to share a bit about my boy, I plan to bring him for the puppy lesson soon!

You Only Live Once!
Nunu is my good boy!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 5, 2004, 8:41 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sycham] My naughty Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

" ... he will only look at both of my hands but not my eyes ... what can I do to make him stop aiming my hands? ..."

You will notice that dogs only make & hold direct eye contact with each other when they are showing aggression or getting ready to fight ... In doggie language - direct eye contact is issuing a challenge ... Dogs behaving politely will not hold direct eye contact with each other, but will only glance at each other or look at each other sideways.

If you wish to teach your dog that its okay to make eye contact with you ... then you can try the following:

(a) Find a quiet place - just you and the dog ...

(b) Give the sit & stay command ... settle the dog down.

(c) While your dog is sitting ... hold the treat in your hand ... and move your hand (and the treat) slowly towards your eyes ... Your dog's eyes will follow the treat.

(d) When the dog makes direct eye contact with you ... immediately give praise & treat ... Repeat again and again over several days. During this part of the exercise - don't say a word, just use your hand & treat to guide the dog's eyes.

(e) When the dog gets used to making direct eye contract ... hold eye contact a little longer before praising & treating ...

(f) If you wish ... once the above is well grounded ... when the dog makes eye contact with you ... introduce the word command by saying ... "Look" or "Eyes" ... or whatever suitable word you wish ...

When the dog maintains eye contract after the word command ... praise & treat ... As before, as the dog learns the word command ... hold the eye contact a little longer before giving praise & treat.

With enough practice ... the dog will associate the word command with looking at you ... at which point, you can practice the command anytime and anywhere ... each time the dog responds and looks at you ... praise & treat.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 5, 2004, 8:44 AM)

sycham
Novice

Oct 5, 2004, 7:30 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] My naughty Pug [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surchinmy,

Thz a lot, I will try it... Cool

You Only Live Once!
Nunu is my good boy!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my